Aero themes suddenly gone, but reappear once after installing updates, then gone on next reboot RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I've been having this problem just in the last few months. I've been using my Dell Inspiron, Windows 7 Home Premium machine for about 2 or 3 years with no apparent problems. Aero themes running all along that time. I am not a techie, so I will ask my question in plain English. Please don't judge my non-tech verbiage.

Over the last few months, suddenly my Aero themes are not installed. They were there, then gone. I've noticed that when Windows updates are installed, upon the next reboot of my machine, the Aero themes reappear for that one reboot. The next day when I turn my computer back on, they are gone again. They will not reappear until the next time Windows updates are installed. And only for the first reboot. Then gone on 2nd reboot.

I've read all the threads I can find, tried trouble shooting (only tells me that Aero is not available and "not fixed"), reran my Windows Experience Index Rating (currently 6.3 for Graphics performance for Windows for Aero). I have not installed any new software.

Please advise what could be causing this and how I can fix it. It's frustrating and no real answers have been provided on any threads. Thank you!

Thursday, July 16, 2015 2:49 PM

Answers

• After more online searching, I found a solution elsewhere:

"I restarted the Themes service. It was started already, but restarting it fixed immediately. I didn't even have to go back in to the "Personalize" dialog to apply a theme."

• Marked as answer by JCGon Thursday, July 16, 2015 4:41 PM
    Thursday, July 16, 2015 4:37 PM

All replies

• Try a System Restore . Select any restore point when there was no such issue.

Make sure your graphic card has latest driver installed.

Guided Help: Troubleshoot Aero problems in Windows 7

S.Sengupta, Windows Experience MVP

Thursday, July 16, 2015 4:02 PM
  • After more online searching, I found a solution elsewhere:

"I restarted the Themes service. It was started already, but restarting it fixed immediately. I didn't even have to go back in to the "Personalize" dialog to apply a theme."

• Marked as answer by JCGon Thursday, July 16, 2015 4:41 PM
    Thursday, July 16, 2015 4:37 PM
  • Hi,

Just for shaing.

I encountered this kind of issue before. The root cause is the display driver. It reset itself at random time. The solution finally is to updating the driver of the display card to the latest version.

Regards,

Simon Wu
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, July 17, 2015 5:58 PM