Presario C502TU NB stops after loading crcdisk.sys... Sata HDD RRS feed

• Question

• HI Ppl

My system is a compaq persario c500 lappy with a sata Fujitsu-MHV2080B� HDD... 

Like many with the dreaded issue, I now can't get into windows.

Other than a crash durring an upgrade windows vista basic, seemed to be all right..  A time later I put ubuntu 6.06 linux on half the hard drive. after an install and reboot the Windows just didn't work.

I do not have a Boot disk for Vista,  I had put Ubuntu on half the drive, I can access from Ubuntu the windows drive but I do not have write access. so I assume the windows part of the hard drive is mostly allright.

what should I do to achieve making a windows boot disk and or to fix the non boot issue.  my F11 key doesn't work, this key is ment-to  take me into the recovery partition.
    the computer was brought 12 months ago.  
    compaq nz tell me that only in australia and the usa can one buy a cd/dvd disk set for their computers
    I think my lappy stops at the same point it did/des in the thread below

I found the thread.
    Failure on crcdisk.sys on Toshiba M40 Laptop Vista Install

The comments on changing the name of files has been the most understandable help I have seen so far.. But when I can get into the system to change anything Sad  Your help and suport are much appreciated and required.

I have pasted this from  that thread..... as it fits my problem, and having no boot disk I dont know how one might get into the system to change the files suggested.

For those who have a Toshiba Satellite M45-S265:

1. Install Vista
    2. Wait until 1st reboot (obviously it will get halted with no disk activity for a long time)
    3. Reboot again, Press F8 and select Safe Mode
       Most probably, while loading drivers, the computer with be stuck at crcdisk.sys
       Reason:
            Vista is trying to load drivers which don't work in Vista
       Failing drivers may be:
     PCMCIA, 1394 (firewire, Texas Instruments)
            (Did you ever use them? I never did)
       Solution:
    4. Reboot and load from your bootable Windows Vista CD and choose to restore.
       Then choose 'other options' and go to console.
       Then do this:

C:
     cd \windows
     del *pcmcia*.* /s/p
     del *1394*.* /s/p

This will get rid of everything related to pcmcia and 1394
       including drivers, INF files .....

5. Restart and enjoy!!!

Notes:

At first, I only did:   del *pcmcia*.* /s/p   but Vista didn't work.

I am not sure what will happen if next time I reinstall Vista
    and only do:  del *1394*.* /s/p

This method may work for other models of Toshiba or even other brands of Desktop/Notebooks

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 1:07 AM

Answers

• Hi,

There is no official method about how to build a Window Vista boot disk. You may need to find a installation media.

If you got the disk, I would like to suggest that check the following for your issue:

1. When prompted to press a key to boot from the CD or DVD, please press Enter or the space bar.
    2. Click "Next" and click "Repair your computer".
    3. Highlight the item related to Windows Vista and click "Next".
    4. In the dialog-box titled "System Recovery Options", click "Command Prompt" and type in the following command.

BOOTREC /REBUILDBCD

5. If the command is successful, please close the Command Prompt window and reboot the computer.

Hope it helps.

Thursday, March 13, 2008 5:54 AM

All replies

• Hi,

There is no official method about how to build a Window Vista boot disk. You may need to find a installation media.

If you got the disk, I would like to suggest that check the following for your issue:

1. When prompted to press a key to boot from the CD or DVD, please press Enter or the space bar.
    2. Click "Next" and click "Repair your computer".
    3. Highlight the item related to Windows Vista and click "Next".
    4. In the dialog-box titled "System Recovery Options", click "Command Prompt" and type in the following command.

BOOTREC /REBUILDBCD

5. If the command is successful, please close the Command Prompt window and reboot the computer.

Hope it helps.

Thursday, March 13, 2008 5:54 AM
  • I am also getting this error after a failed install of vista sp1.

If i can get through to system recovery it won't detect the drive. if it does it will blue screen of death me with 0x0000c1f5.

Far as i can see, there isn't even a way of recovering any data on the disc, or even being able to use the disc again!
    Thursday, April 23, 2009 9:52 PM