none
Work scheduled out of working day RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am just starting with MS Project 2013 and I was trying to assign one of the task to happen always on Sunday (due to access availability). MS Project then is giving me resources over-allocated and I wanted to set there for the cost purposes OT rate as additional shift on that day for the team.

In terms of Sundays, I can manually assign time and date for Sunday, however as project is being shifted those have to be redone all the time. Is there any way of improving that? 

In terms of overtime on Sunday, I haven't found yet how to do it to allow the work then with OT rate for the full day. Any ideas?

Wanted to upload screenshot, but I can't due to some account verification limit. Not sure how to sort that out.

---------------------------------

Hi again,

I managed to overcome problem with calendar bit. Create new one, only with available Sundays, assign it to the task and ignore resources calendars ticked. It is working in terms of scheduling, still bring in up an issue with resources though.

Regards,

KK

• Edited by Mr KK Thursday, October 17, 2013 3:38 PM update on issue
    Thursday, October 17, 2013 2:34 PM

Answers

• Hi,

If a task is to always happen on Sunday, this is the way to tell Project:

Project Ribbon

Change Working Time

Create New Calendar

Enter a name (say Sunday_Work)

Work Weeks

Details

Select Sunday

Set day to these specific Working times

Fill in the working times for Sunday

Now select Monday to Friday

Set days to nonworking time

OK, OK

Double-click the task

Advanced pad

Next to Calendar, select Sunday_Work

Check Scheduling ignores resource calendars

OK

Thee you are.

You cannot PLAN overtime at overtime work. YOu can only enyer it after the facts as actual work.

Greetings,

• Marked as answer by Mr KK Thursday, October 17, 2013 3:39 PM
    Thursday, October 17, 2013 3:29 PM
  • Mr KK,

You don't specify what the issue is with the resources, but this is how I approached your scenario.

Instead of creating a Sunday only calendar for the task, I customized the resource calendars to make Sunday a normal work day. I also made sure I entered the appropriate overtime rate into the Overtime Rate field for each resource on the Resource Sheet. I track the daily work on the Resource Usage view by including the Actual Work and Actual Overtime Work in the timescaled side (right side) of the view

Let's say we have a task that starts on Monday and is estimated to take 8 days, one of which will occur on Sunday. The resource is "Bob" and his normal rate if $1/hr with an overtime rate of $10/h. Each day Bob's work hours are input in the Actual Work and Actual Overtime Work, if applicable, for that day. On Sunday, assuming a normal 8 hour day, the work hours are entered ONLY into the Actual Overtime Work field. You will note that when you do that Project will automatically add the actual overtime work to the actual work and show that sum in the Actual Work field, and that's what it should do. The main difference is that work time entered into the actual overtime is charged at the overtime rate. The attached screen shot shows how Project costs the task according to Bob's normal and overtime work on that task. Note that on the first day, Bob worked 8 regular hours and 2 hours of overtime for a total cost of $28. All other days Bob worked 8 regular hours each day except that on Sunday, those 8 hours were entered as actual overtime so the cost is $80.

Not sure if this answers your latest question, but hope it helps.

John

• Marked as answer by Mr KK Friday, October 18, 2013 8:20 AM
    Friday, October 18, 2013 2:31 AM

All replies

• Hi,

If a task is to always happen on Sunday, this is the way to tell Project:

Project Ribbon

Change Working Time

Create New Calendar

Enter a name (say Sunday_Work)

Work Weeks

Details

Select Sunday

Set day to these specific Working times

Fill in the working times for Sunday

Now select Monday to Friday

Set days to nonworking time

OK, OK

Double-click the task

Advanced pad

Next to Calendar, select Sunday_Work

Check Scheduling ignores resource calendars

OK

Thee you are.

You cannot PLAN overtime at overtime work. YOu can only enyer it after the facts as actual work.

Greetings,

• Marked as answer by Mr KK Thursday, October 17, 2013 3:39 PM
    Thursday, October 17, 2013 3:29 PM
  • Thanks for such a quick answer. How you plan then scheduled major works out of normal calendar days? Should I add that day as an exception in calendar for the user and also change the cost rate in tab B and assign to that task that rate? I tried that and still it is highlighted. Maybe there is a small tick missing or so.
    Thursday, October 17, 2013 3:50 PM
  • Mr KK,

You don't specify what the issue is with the resources, but this is how I approached your scenario.

Instead of creating a Sunday only calendar for the task, I customized the resource calendars to make Sunday a normal work day. I also made sure I entered the appropriate overtime rate into the Overtime Rate field for each resource on the Resource Sheet. I track the daily work on the Resource Usage view by including the Actual Work and Actual Overtime Work in the timescaled side (right side) of the view

Let's say we have a task that starts on Monday and is estimated to take 8 days, one of which will occur on Sunday. The resource is "Bob" and his normal rate if $1/hr with an overtime rate of $10/h. Each day Bob's work hours are input in the Actual Work and Actual Overtime Work, if applicable, for that day. On Sunday, assuming a normal 8 hour day, the work hours are entered ONLY into the Actual Overtime Work field. You will note that when you do that Project will automatically add the actual overtime work to the actual work and show that sum in the Actual Work field, and that's what it should do. The main difference is that work time entered into the actual overtime is charged at the overtime rate. The attached screen shot shows how Project costs the task according to Bob's normal and overtime work on that task. Note that on the first day, Bob worked 8 regular hours and 2 hours of overtime for a total cost of $28. All other days Bob worked 8 regular hours each day except that on Sunday, those 8 hours were entered as actual overtime so the cost is $80.

Not sure if this answers your latest question, but hope it helps.

John

• Marked as answer by Mr KK Friday, October 18, 2013 8:20 AM
    Friday, October 18, 2013 2:31 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for that info. I am not sure if I understood that correctly. Does it work when actual hours are applied? I wanted to reflect that in planing phase. Let say I will be doing some work mon-fri as usual and then I know and I agree to come on Sun as OT to do some work that is only available on Sun. In terms of planing, I would like to know how much project would cost etc. For now, I managed to do with 'B' work rate and seems to be ok.

Friday, October 18, 2013 10:25 AM
  • Mr KK,

Unfortunately Project does not recognize that in some circumstances overtime work is actually a planned event, not just an after-the-fact occurrence, so no, there is no easy way to set up pre-planned overtime other than the approach you used.

Hope this helps.

John

Friday, October 18, 2013 3:47 PM