Word 2010 - Reassign F3 key RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

All I want to do is reassign F3 to repeatFind.

I thought I did it when I went to OPTIONS, RIBBON, CUSTOMIZE, KEYBOARD, COMMANDS NOT IN THE RIBBON, REPEATFIND and pressed F3.

The setting "took" but didn't work.  I called microsoft support and they had no clue.  Finally I realized I had to click outside the FIND dialog for it to work.  It worked for about a week.  Now I get this message at the bottom when I press F3:

the specified text is not a valid building block name

... which is related to autotext but when I look at autotext in keyboard mapping there is nothing assigned.  So I'm assuming F3 is still assigned to something.

Two questions:

a) how do I determine what a key is assigned to before I reassign it?

b) how can I get F3 to work as a repeat find?

Thanks in advance

• Edited by Clyfton Friday, May 25, 2012 10:04 PM
    Friday, May 25, 2012 10:03 PM

Answers

• In the Customize Keyboard dialog box, did you remember to verify that "Save in" was set to "Normal.dotm" before clicking the Assign button?

To see what command is assigned to a particular keyboard shortcut, place the insertion point in the "Press new shortcut key" box, press the key or key combinations that you want to test, and see what is listed after "Currently assigned to."

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP
    • Edited by Stefan BlomMVP Saturday, May 26, 2012 12:55 PM
    • Marked as answer by Clyfton Sunday, May 27, 2012 5:37 PM
    Saturday, May 26, 2012 12:28 PM

All replies

• In the Customize Keyboard dialog box, did you remember to verify that "Save in" was set to "Normal.dotm" before clicking the Assign button?

To see what command is assigned to a particular keyboard shortcut, place the insertion point in the "Press new shortcut key" box, press the key or key combinations that you want to test, and see what is listed after "Currently assigned to."

• Edited by Stefan BlomMVP Saturday, May 26, 2012 12:55 PM
    • Marked as answer by Clyfton Sunday, May 27, 2012 5:37 PM
    Saturday, May 26, 2012 12:28 PM
  • Thanks.   I had not "unassigned" the F3 key from InsertAutoText.  That fixed my problem.

However, I still have to click out of the find dialog and into the document before F3 will work.  Is there a way to get it to work regardless of where focus is?

Sunday, May 27, 2012 5:39 PM
  • On 2012-05-27 19:39 (GMT+1), Clyfton wrote:

Thanks.   I had not "unassigned" the F3 key from InsertAutoText.  That fixed my problem.

However, I still have to click out of the find dialog and into the document before F3 will work.  Is there a way to get it to work regardless of where focus is?

I doubt it. It does make sense that the focus should be in the document when running the RepeatFind command.
    Sunday, May 27, 2012 6:10 PM