none
Windows Will Not Turn Off Upon Restart But Will Turn Off Upon Shutdown

Question

• If I unset "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" on the Power Management tab of my USB Root Hub properties, then when I attempt to restart my computer from the Start Menu, Windows shuts down but the computer itself keeps running, i.e. the power light stays lit and the fan continues to run. In order to actually shutdown, I have to press the power button for a few seconds. Upon reboot, there is no indication of a failed shutdown from Windows. However, I am able to shutdown from the Start Menu without problem.

Is this really the intent of not allowing the computer to turn off a device connected to a USB port, i.e. you can shutdown but you can't restart? Seems a bit arbitrary to me.

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Service Pack 1

Acer Aspire 5560

AMD A6-3420M APU with Radeon HD Graphics 1.50 GHz

8.00 GB

All device drivers and the BIOS are up-to-date.

Wednesday, January 10, 2018 5:11 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Here are some difference between restart and shutdown. Restart means warm boot and shutdown-boot means clod boot.When you choose restart, it will reload your os without interrupting power, so the fan still running,power light stay lit. When you shutdown and press power button to boot your pc, the computer will run a self tests on its hardware and load system. 

As the option "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power " is used only when your machine is in a sleep mode.

If you want USB ports to keep supplying power in sleep mode, just uncheck “Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power“. Or check it to let Windows turn off USB ports to save power.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Hugo Meisl Saturday, January 13, 2018 4:21 AM
    Friday, January 12, 2018 2:39 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Here are some difference between restart and shutdown. Restart means warm boot and shutdown-boot means clod boot.When you choose restart, it will reload your os without interrupting power, so the fan still running,power light stay lit. When you shutdown and press power button to boot your pc, the computer will run a self tests on its hardware and load system. 

As the option "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power " is used only when your machine is in a sleep mode.

If you want USB ports to keep supplying power in sleep mode, just uncheck “Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power“. Or check it to let Windows turn off USB ports to save power.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Hugo Meisl Saturday, January 13, 2018 4:21 AM
    Friday, January 12, 2018 2:39 AM
  • Thank you for your response. I agree that the USB port setting "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" should only affect sleep mode. However in my case, if this option is not checked, then for some reason the computer will never actually restart but stay forever in a mode where just the fan stays on so that the warm boot is blocked from progressing any further.
    Saturday, January 13, 2018 4:31 AM