none
Work Hours Keep Changing Slightly RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Everyone,

We are using Project Server 2010. I am an admin, and Project Managers are telling me that when they open their projects in Project Professional, work hours have changed slightly from nice round numbers to funny exact numbers (i.e. from 5 hours to 5.03 hours). We're not sure why this is happening. Could anyone list off some reasons why we may be seeing this so that I can diagnose & guide the PMs to use the program differently?

Many thanks,

Lindsey

Thursday, October 25, 2012 8:48 PM

Answers

• Are you using Project Server? If not, are you using shared Resource Pool? There can be various reason for a decimal hours some of them are - like if using shared resources then due to some assignments; Calendars - like project and resource could also be a reason; leveling may also sometimes lead to decimals to accommodate assignments. Actuals hours entered in PWA (task updates or timesheet) could also lead to this. If you have a Master Project then may be some sub-projects update is leading to decimals. Say, if a task starts or ends at a time that is different from the work day Start and Finish times (i.e. default 8:00 am and 5:00 pm) then also there are probabilities of decimals. As the project tracks Duration and Work at 1-Minute level so, there could be various factors.

Sapna Shukla

Friday, October 26, 2012 8:12 AM

All replies

• Are you using Project Server? If not, are you using shared Resource Pool? There can be various reason for a decimal hours some of them are - like if using shared resources then due to some assignments; Calendars - like project and resource could also be a reason; leveling may also sometimes lead to decimals to accommodate assignments. Actuals hours entered in PWA (task updates or timesheet) could also lead to this. If you have a Master Project then may be some sub-projects update is leading to decimals. Say, if a task starts or ends at a time that is different from the work day Start and Finish times (i.e. default 8:00 am and 5:00 pm) then also there are probabilities of decimals. As the project tracks Duration and Work at 1-Minute level so, there could be various factors.

Sapna Shukla

Friday, October 26, 2012 8:12 AM
  • Thank you Sapna. I'll investigate further!
    Thursday, November 1, 2012 6:49 PM
  • You are most Welcome!!

Sapna Shukla

Thursday, November 1, 2012 7:20 PM