none
SBS 2003 - Aargh!

Question

• Hi.

I'm attempting to get an SBS 2003 server back up and running. Was performing fine until last week, when DHCP and internet broke for no apparent reason (simultaneous to a router bricking during a firmware update).

Where I am:

Internet and self-ping of both IP and domain working on the server box; 2 NIC, with correct drivers. No clients can ping / connect when connected to the same LAN, but the server can ping the client IP.

NIC 1 : LAN. manual IP of 192.168.16.2, subnet 255.255.255.0; default gateway blank; DNS server set to 192.168.16.2

NIC 2 : direct connection to router (192.168.16.1); have tried manual IP of 192.168.16.3 and auto; default gateway set to 192.168.16.1, with DNS 192.168.16.2

dnslint shows AD fine.

CEICW (which is what I've always used for SBS setups / troubleshooting) errors at network connection selections with "IP address of the ISP network adapter exists in the Local Address Table for ISA Server". ISA Server is, indeed, installed, but I don't seem to be able to find the LAP, to delete the IP.

DNS and DCHP services both running fine on the server. I currently have DHCP enabled on the router too as I need a wireless connection, and the server doesn't seem to be allocating IPs. I've deleted, recreated and activated the DNS scope, and reinstalled DHCP without fixing the problem.

It's a long, long time since I've had to fiddle about with SBS 2003, and I'm stumped by the CEICW error. I have an instinct that I'm very close, and wondered if anyone notices anything daft about my settings. Safe mode with networking exhibits the same symptoms.

Oh - I'm trying to sort this remotely, so don't want to break the internet connection to the server if I can avoid it. SBS BPA doesn't throw up anything useful. Client (a registered charity) has no install discs, so I can't run an SFC. I have, however, reapplied SP2 without making any headway.

I'd be *very* grateful for suggestions - there are loads of things I really don't want to have to reconfigure, so would regard a bare metal reinstall as an absolute last resort.

TIA,

Darren

Sunday, May 27, 2018 5:48 PM

All replies

• DC should not be multi homed so I'd disable one of the NICs. DC and all members should have the static address of DC listed for DNS and no others such as router or public DNS. Default gateway on all would be the address of router.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Sunday, May 27, 2018 6:34 PM
  • Many thanks for the reply, Dave.

So I should disable the second NIC and connect the router / modem to a switch?

Sunday, May 27, 2018 6:42 PM
  • Yes, disable the second NIC on domain controller. Also running two DHCP servers on same network seems problematic.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Sunday, May 27, 2018 6:58 PM
  • Hi,

>No clients can ping / connect when connected to the same LAN, but the server can ping the client IP.
    Try to ping IP address instead of name, besides, try to disable Windows Firewall on both server and client sides, and try to ping IP address again to check the result.

If problem persists, provide the error message of failed ping.

>DNS and DCHP services both running fine on the server. I currently have DHCP enabled on the router too as I need a wireless connection,
    In general, it is not recommended to enable multi DHCP servers on a single network. However, splitting a scope across two DHCP servers is possible and recommended for fault tolerance. 

In general, if you already has local Windows DHCP server enabled, for wireless network, you may disable DHCP on your router.

How to set up Windows Small Business Server 2003 for Internet access:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/825763/how-to-set-up-windows-small-business-server-2003-for-internet-access

Securing Your Windows Small Business Server 2003 Network:
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc700836.aspx

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, May 28, 2018 2:19 AM
  • Many thanks, Eve.

I had split the DHCP scope between the router and the DC, but am on-site tomorrow and will try turning off DHCP on the router. Both the router and the DC were correctly allocating IPs from their respective scopes.

I do wonder about disabling the IP NIC; connecting the router to it directly was the only way I could get internet to the DC. The remaining problem is that we can't connect any workstations to the domain, nor can the DC access (nor ping) a remote NAS.

I'm now thinking more DNS; I will have to read up on how to destroy the current DNS and start again from scratch. Services are running fine, and nothing in the error log, but I can't think of anything else that could be causing these symptoms.

Monday, May 28, 2018 5:57 PM
  • Hi,

SBS has its built-in wizard to complete internet configuration, also, both double and single NIC on SBS are supported. If you had changed the NIC configuration latterly, I would recommend you to re-run built-in wizard and check the result.

About no Internet connection problem, please make sure that appropriate DNS server has been configured on your Windows DNS server, you can try to configure public DNS server such as (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) as DNS forwarders and check the result. 

If possible, please reference the articles I had posted above to re-configure network and check the result.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, May 29, 2018 7:08 AM
  • Hi,

How things are going there on this issue?

Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Thursday, May 31, 2018 1:48 AM
  • Hi,

Is there any update?

Please click “Mark as answer” if any of above reply is helpful. It would make this reply to the top and easier to be found for other people who has the similar problem.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Monday, June 04, 2018 1:55 AM