none
HIS 2004 with Windows 2003 on Hyper-v 2012 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am no mainframe expert and I have a rather unfortunate situation where I am forced to drag legacy software into the future. we have a mainframe legacy system that demands HIS 2004 on Windows server 2003, it also connects using DLC. now in order to get this setup onto new hardware I am looking at hosting it as a VM on Server 2012 Hyper-v. In the 2003 VM everything has been setup in HIS 2004 to connect to the mainframe, DLC is installed on the Windows 2003 server and the dedicated NIC to connect to the mainframe on the 2003 VM is a legacy adapter that is on a VM switch directly to the Host NIC that is connected directly to the mainframe. we tested the cables with the old server (physical setup) andhe connection was made. the 2003 VM is setup exactly the same as the old physical box but the SNA just will not connect. please can you assist me with this situation. many thanks.

Wednesday, September 4, 2013 1:24 PM

Answers

• From the description (HIS VM using DLC on Windows Server 2012 Hyper-V), it seems that you have run into a problem that was just discovered with Windows Server 2012 Hyper-V. We have at least one customer reporting this and we have an active support case. The issue is being discussed with the appropriate Product Development Teams.

I would suggest that you open a support case if this is a required configuration.

The workaround at this point would be to use Windows Server 2008 R2 as the host system for any HIS VMs that require DLC.

Thanks...

Stephen Jackson - MSFT

Wednesday, September 4, 2013 8:26 PM

All replies

• From the description (HIS VM using DLC on Windows Server 2012 Hyper-V), it seems that you have run into a problem that was just discovered with Windows Server 2012 Hyper-V. We have at least one customer reporting this and we have an active support case. The issue is being discussed with the appropriate Product Development Teams.

I would suggest that you open a support case if this is a required configuration.

The workaround at this point would be to use Windows Server 2008 R2 as the host system for any HIS VMs that require DLC.

Thanks...

Stephen Jackson - MSFT

Wednesday, September 4, 2013 8:26 PM
  • Hi, 

We are facing the same problem with HIS 2009 and Windows 2008 32 bits. Did the recommended solution by Stephen works for you ? 

Thanks very much for help. 

Friday, February 14, 2014 10:10 AM
  • Hi Chouib DD,

Yes, we used Windows 2008 32bit for our DLC solution and it is currently working.

Friday, February 14, 2014 10:20 AM
  • Hi, 

Thanks a lot for your answer. 

So now your are hosting your HIS VMs on a Windows 2008 R2 host and it's working ? 

Did you tried the hotfix (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2902821/en-us) provided by Microsoft for Hyper-V 2012 ?

Thanks. 

Friday, February 14, 2014 10:25 AM
  • Hi,

We have a legacy system that is forcing us to host a windows 2003 std server with HIS 2004 on a 2008 Hyper-v host. So unfortunately we don't have a direct comparison for you but the issue of the DLC being passed through the Hyper-v layer was resolved by using 2008 and not 2012.

I have not tried the hotfix as it was not available when I had to get the system working, I will try it in the future as the redundant replication of 2012 hyper-v was in the initial design.

Friday, February 14, 2014 12:10 PM