none
Network Hack-Azure Silent Install RRS feed

• Question

• Dear Friends, I am in desperate need of your expertise. A few years ago I paid an IT guy to do some repairs to my PC. As sooon as I got it back, I noticed that it had been implemented  with some features for which I had not asked. Ever since that time I have been getting the impression that my computer has become a client computer on an anonymous network. Examples of this invasion are too numerous to mention. I am using Windows 10 Home, but I found many Hyper-V files, numerous entries regarding Azure, lots of API's,and to top it off last Saturday morning I saw my mouse move around my desktop without me touching it!

I have tried many, many avenues to finding the solution but this is BIG. I really need help due to the lack of security presented by this scenario. I know a little and I am willing to learn and cooperate in any way necessary. I am at my wits end. Please take pity on a nervous nerd. I await your wisdom.

Many Thanks, April Rose

Saturday, December 2, 2017 4:19 AM

All replies

• If the IT guy truly infiltrated your PC, or you are afraid that he might have, I suggest just resetting your PC. It's simple to do and will remove any changes that the IT guy might have made. 

https://www.onmsft.com/news/windows-10-reset-refresh-windows-10-installation-better-performance

Jeremy Corbello | https://www.jeremycorbello.com

Saturday, December 2, 2017 3:59 PM
  • Dear Jeremy, thanks for your kind response. Maybe I am wrong about the origin of this infection for this situation has been going on a long time.  I have reformatted, and reinstalled many times.   The problem is that I don't know where to start...... Powershell.....the registry...Json....scripting.? I have seen many programs and browsers on my registry that do not belong.   First I would like to verify some of my suspicions. Do unethical Admins hijack people's computers? What are the  signs. And what is the best course of study to begin to determine the security of PC? Could this external control come through Gmail?   I need an education but I don't know where to start. Your suggestions are appreciated.

Monday, December 4, 2017 1:17 AM
  • Firstly, could you elaborate more in response to “I have seen many programs and browsers on my registry that do not belong”? If you reformat and reinstall the OS on your computer, you should have only the OEM software. What are you seeing that you believe should not be there?

As far as the best course of action for the security of your PC: What antivirus are you using? What software do you install after you reinstall the OS? Is this a shared, work or personal PC?

Yes, you could have gotten some type of malware from an email. And yes, admins can add their own software to a PC so they can remotely manage the machine in the instance that they need back in. This is typically done for additional work and should always be agreed upon by the client and MSP.

Jeremy Corbello | https://www.jeremycorbello.com

• Edited by Jacorbello Monday, December 4, 2017 2:48 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Femisulu-MSFT Wednesday, February 28, 2018 9:50 AM
    Monday, December 4, 2017 2:46 AM