none
Win10 + UAC <> IE11 & Scripts ... RRS feed

• Question

• Major problems with User Account Control UAC and Internet Explorer IE11 in Windows 10 (10240 & 10576).

I want to be able to do whatever I want to do, and have thus turned OFF the UAC from the Settings App, and also turned it Off in the Registry at:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System

The key: EnableLUA

is set to 0 instead of 1.

With it Enabled (Key at 1) I cannot save my files to the C: drive - it says I don't have the Rights to do so, even though I've Taken Ownership of the entire drive ... But Disabled (Key at 0) I can use my C: drive the way I want to.

But with it Disabled (Key at 0) I cannot use Any of the new (Modern) Apps that comes with Win10 - "This app can't open, bla bla".

But my main problem right now is that with the UAC totally Off as described above ( = Set to 0 ), IE11 and my Script works just fine, as it always did in both Win XP and Win7 (and in Win7 my UAC was, of course, totally Off).

It opens my Script with several sites in the correct order = the order they are listed in the script.

But with UAC set to 1, the sites in the Script opens in some random order, and not at all in the order they are listed in the script.

Only way to make them open in the correct order is to set >>Tools>Internet Options>General>Tabs>>
    > Check "Enable Tab Groups".  (Does NOT matter how any of neither "When a pop-up is encountered:" [Now set at 'Let Internet Explorer decide'] nor "Open links from other programs in:" [now set at 'A new tab in the current window'] are set.)

But then I get the Grouping of Tab with different colors, and I don't like that ...

So; WHAT in Heavens name has the Grouping of IE11 Tabs got to do with the UAC ?!

Script follows, I just drag it into an already open IE11 window, it's namned like: MySites.htm

===============

<html>
    < head>
    < title>openURL-MySites</title>
    < /head>
    < body>
    < script type="text/javascript">

location.href = "URL goes here";

window.open("URL goes here");

</script>
    < /body>
    < /html>

==============

All these shall - and HAVE in XP and Win7 - always opened in the order they are written, but not so in Win10, see above.

Why do one have to use UAC and why doesn't my script work any longer ...

/AW!

(Sigh, When I tried to save this, I got: "Body text cannot contain images or links until we are able to verify your account.", so I had to remove all URLs in the Script ...)

Sunday, November 1, 2015 6:17 PM

All replies

• Hi AndersWillhelmsson,

Are you the administrator of this machine?

As far as I know, the UAC is short for "User Access Control" and it is used to distinguish the standard user from the administrator user. To use the Metro Apps, the UAC should be enabled, it is by design.
    I don`t think disabling the UAC is a good solution.  There is a possibility that the present user account may have been corrupted.
    If you are the administrator of this machine, please login with another administrator account or create a new administrator user account to have a check.

When you open the script, please right click it and choose "Run as administrator" to have a check.
    As for the order issue, I suspect it is related to the response time of the website. However, we could try to use process monitor to analyze it if you want to troubleshoot it.
    Process Monitor v3.2
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

"Sigh, When I tried to save this, I got: "Body text cannot contain images or links until we are able to verify your account"
    We could refer to the following link to verify the account.
    How to Verify Your MSDN/TechNet Forums Account So that You Can Post Images and Links
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/15960.how-to-verify-your-msdntechnet-forums-account-so-that-you-can-post-images-and-links.aspx

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 3, 2015 7:58 AM