Bibliography not sorted in correct (citation) order RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys,

I am desperate to find a solution. I have been working on this issue for the past 4 hours and I can't find a solution.

Here is the situation:

• I have a Word document (using Word 2016) with 44 bibliographical entries
    • I have chosen the CSE bibliographical style with the citation sequence sort
    • We will call the first citation in the document Citation1
    • When I create the bibliography, the first entry is another entry that we will cal Citation6 since it is actually the sixth citation in the document => this is not correct and I want the first entry to be Citation1
    • I have moved the sources.xml file to a "safe" location, i.e. a location I can control and easily access; in that file, the RefOrder XML tag for Citation1 is 1 - that is correct; the RefOrder XML tag for Citation6 is 100: I set it that way to make sure that there is no sorting conflict
    • Thanks to this article, I have found that Word uses a copy of that sources.xml file since the sources.xml is only the Master list and not the current list; the current list is "inside" the Word document (Word is actually a compressed file) in the folder customXml and is called (in my case?) item2.xml; I have manually set the RefOrder tag of Citation1 to 1 and the RefOrder tag of Citation6 to 100 (exactly like for the sources.xml file)
    • When I open the Word document with Word 2016 and I check the Source Manager, in the current list, the citation preview still shows me that the RefOrder for Citation1 is incorrect; if I delete the bibliography and make a new one, the first entry is still Citation6 instead of Citation1

It is very important for me to find the reason why this is not working properly.

Can anyone please help me?

I am willing to try and test anything. I can post screen shots if needed.

Thank you!

Vincent

Thursday, August 4, 2016 6:48 PM

Answers

• Since footnotes and endnotes aren't in the document body, the behaviour you're seeing may be part of the CSE bibliography specification (though MS isn't known for getting its citation and bibliography correct for even the major referencing standards it purports to support - e.g. APA, Chicago, etc.).

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

• Marked as answer by vinnie2k Saturday, August 20, 2016 8:11 PM
    Friday, August 19, 2016 1:42 AM

All replies

• Hi Vincent,

Could you provide the sample file or screenshot to our email address?

If possible, please send to our email address:
    ibsofc@microsoft.com

Note: Please add the URL of the case in the email subject or body.

If your issue had been resolved, please post the solution here Other partners who read the forums with the same issue can get more information from the correct result.

Thank you.

Regards

Emi Zhang

TechNet Community Support

Please mark the reply as an answer if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, August 17, 2016 8:05 AM
  • I think it's a feature :-)

I ended up removing all footnotes for another reasons and, lo and behold, the citation order was restored.

The question is, is this indeed a feature? Citing references in footnotes somehow changes the citation order, putting them at the end (like endnotes)?

V.

• Unmarked as answer by vinnie2k Saturday, August 20, 2016 8:11 PM
    Wednesday, August 17, 2016 5:59 PM
  • Since footnotes and endnotes aren't in the document body, the behaviour you're seeing may be part of the CSE bibliography specification (though MS isn't known for getting its citation and bibliography correct for even the major referencing standards it purports to support - e.g. APA, Chicago, etc.).

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Friday, August 19, 2016 1:42 AM
  • That's a good point actually. I'm going to use one of the BibWord styles instead and see with the author if he can manage to put footnote citations in their place. Endnote citations look to be in their place at the end of the citation order, but footnote citations at the end make no sense to me.

Thanks for the idea.

V.

V.

Saturday, August 20, 2016 8:11 PM
  • If you really need the bibliography to be sorted by citation order, you have two choices:

First, write the entries in the bibliography in citation order and second use a .bib file, bibliography style and BibTeX. But if you are really not sure about these two ways, you can always go for asa
     citation machine. Create your references from these tools and simply copy and paste.Visit: http://www.researchomatic.com/asa-citation-generator/

Monday, April 24, 2017 4:32 PM
  • Hello,

I have the same issue in Word. Several entries are not sorted in a chronological order in the bibliography. It's unusual. It doesn't seem to be related to the footnotes. Initials are also added for an author in the text body without an obvious reason. Could you please help?

Saturday, April 25, 2020 9:45 AM
  • Hello,

I have the same issue in Word. Several entries are not sorted in a chronological order in the bibliography. It's unusual. It doesn't seem to be related to the footnotes. Initials are also added for an author in the text body without an obvious reason. Could you please help?

Since this is an older thread and marked as Answered, and your problem may be different, I strongly urge you to post a new question, perhaps on the consumer Answers forum. You could include a link to this thread. If you do, include information about your situation similar to that posted originally with this question.

Doing this is likely to get you the most quick responses.

Charles Kenyon Madison, WI

Saturday, April 25, 2020 6:28 PM