Issues connecting to mapped drives on SharePoint 2007 – Browser Security Settings RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there

I have several installations of SharePoint running for several clients and have struggled with the correct browser security settings.  I never seem to have issues with SharePoint on Small Business Server so assume there is a set of default browser/security settings which will work on most clients. The issue is finding out what they are?

What is the correct browser settings in terms of Security (Local Intranet/Trusted Sites) and Privacy to get this working correctly?

Moving on I have a client who’s workstation worked just fine with respect to some mapped drives to SharePoint (2007) folders but after installing Vista SP2 this no longer works correctly. I assume the update has altered some of the settings.

When you create the mapped drive (map network drive, select drive letter, copy paste Url into location) it works fine but after a reboot the drive shows a red cross across it. If you attempt to connect the error is:

“An error occurred while reconnecting Y: to …………
    Web client Network: The operation being requested was not performed because the user has not been authenticated.

The connection has not been restored.”

If you disconnect from the drive and map it again it works just fine until the next log off/log on. She can open SharePoint in a browser without issue and using active directory to authenticate.

I assume this is probably caused by a tick box somewhere in the browser security settings but would appreciate any advice.

Martyn Fewtrell TNC (IT Solutions) Ltd mfewtrell@tncit.co.uk
    Friday, November 12, 2010 12:18 PM

Answers

All replies

• Is the SharePoint web application use SSL? This KB address an issue with similar error message http://support.microsoft.com/kb/960646 .

Gu Yuming

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

• Marked as answer by GuYuming Friday, November 19, 2010 9:24 AM
    Monday, November 15, 2010 2:28 AM
  • Thanks

This knowlege base article certainly describes the symptoms. The SharePoint site is using SSL although on the occaisions I have observed the share is internal and therefore should be running without SSL (we use SSL outside the LAN and connect normally internally).

I will look into this more deeply (when i vist the client) and report back.

Martyn Fewtrell
    mfewtrell@networkclub.co.uk

Martyn Fewtrell TNC (IT Solutions) Ltd mfewtrell@tncit.co.uk
    Monday, November 15, 2010 10:03 AM