Memory use baffling RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

This is my first post & I am far from an expert though I consider myself to be a useful home PC user.

I am running Vista on system32 (I think that's how to describe it!).

My C: drive has 37.1GB capacity & other than the 'ordinary' software that comes with a new PC. I have Legacy family tree, Real Player, Adobe, & just Word docs & Family photos on the drive but my available memory is down to 2.65 GB. I have been deleting things from the drive like someone demented but it doesn't seem to alter the situation. In fact I deleted a large number of templates from Works & got my C: memory 'up' to 4.6GB but when I booted this morning it had dropped to 2.65 overnight.

I looked at Computer Management & in the list of actions I noticed things like >Software 15,876MB> then lower down the list it says>Software Old 15,671MB< this was repeated with several other entries (though I negelected to write them down).Now I have just been looking at Diagnostics Performance/Operational & I have incidents logged by the score. Some say 'Warning' but others say 'Critical'. An example of which is "This process is doing excessive disc activities and is impacting the performance of Windows" File Name;\Device\Harddiskvolume2\program files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe\  Event ID 402: Op Code: Shell Degradation

Another link in the same folder says:

"This process is using too much system memory." File Name: ntoskrnl.exe  Working Set Size: 8597266  Percent Memory: 8.2854036883982   Path: C\windows\system32\drivers\ntoskrnl.exe

In Code Integrity Operational again I have scores of Warnings all to do with drivers.Where it seems that unsigned drivers have either been downloaded or an attempt has been made to download them. So up till now, whilst trying to find out why I am losing such vast chunks of memory it seems that some programmes are using vast chunks of memory without me using the programme & Windows or IE are downloading drivers on a regular basis without any prompting from me? HELP!!

Monday, August 16, 2010 10:45 PM

All replies

• two things i think you should do;

1. Run disk cleanup (start>all programs>accessories>system tools>disk cleanup)

2. Run check disk (start>run>type "cmd">at the command prompt,type "chkdsk /r")

Tunde Abagun MCP,MCSA,MCTS,MCITP en p "for the love of Computers"
    Wednesday, June 22, 2011 2:14 PM