none
How do I enable User/s log-in to Windows Server 2016 with their Microsoft account/s? RRS feed

• Question

• How do I enable user/s to log-in to Windows Server 2016 with their Microsoft account/s?.

It would help me greatly, if my users could log-in to Windows Server 2016 with their Microsoft accounts, locally or via network terminal / Remote Desktop Services.

And then enable the desktop setup/configuration sharing/update persistence feature on their machine when not online/connected to the server?

Does this feature rely on AD services installed or can I get away with Remote Desktop Services and LDAP or even just RDS?

Tuesday, August 29, 2017 5:27 AM

Answers

All replies

• How do I enable user/s to log-in to Windows Server 2016 with their Microsoft account/s?.

Hi,

It's a Client OS feature, which is not supported on Server systems.

Here is a similar thread below:

server 2012 and microsoft account

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/5e5260fa-0a90-4c66-b0ab-cb4e825c8d95/server-2012-and-microsoft-account?forum=winserver8gen

Best Regards,

Amy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Amy Wang_Moderator Wednesday, September 6, 2017 10:48 AM
    • Marked as answer by salkillen Tuesday, September 12, 2017 11:16 AM
    Wednesday, August 30, 2017 7:58 AM
  • Many thanks, Amy

It's a pity the developers don't realise a feature such as this...

Scott

Tuesday, September 12, 2017 11:19 AM
  • Just because it is a client feature doesn't mean it can't be used.  I've worked with Windows Server from its beginnings and have dealt with hundreds of customers.  None of them deployed Windows Server to their users' desktops.  They always deployed Windows client software.  So the users do not need to log into a server.

It is possible to create an environment that allows users who log in with Microsoft credentials to have access to corporate resources.  This is accomplished with Active Directory Federation Services.  To reach the experts in this technology, you can post your questions in their forum - https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=ADFS

tim

Tuesday, September 12, 2017 2:41 PM
  • If we were using that logic:

Are these server grade now?  Being they're a part of the default "desktop experience" for Server 2016 Datacenter!!!

Saturday, August 4, 2018 8:42 AM
  • It's the curse of Azure. With Azure you pay for the time a VM is running. If you could run a terminal server with all the home comforts of Microsoft Accounts, you'd surely choose that over multiple workstations - simpler admin, and the Finance Dept. would love it. Microsoft shareholders wouldn't love it so much.
    Friday, November 23, 2018 11:20 PM

Hi,

It's a Client OS feature, which is not supported on Server systems.

Here is a similar thread below:

server 2012 and microsoft account

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/5e5260fa-0a90-4c66-b0ab-cb4e825c8d95/server-2012-and-microsoft-account?forum=winserver8gen

Best Regards,

Amy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

The answer is just wrong. The question was not: "Is it supported..." the question was: "How do I enable..." Also, posting the link pointing to a 2012 related question seems a bit offtopic to me<g class="gr_ gr_13 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Punctuation multiReplace" data-gr-id="13" id="13">....</g> However...

To enable Microsoft Accounts on a server just open the local security policy and go to the security option. You will find there an option "Accounts: Block Microsoft accounts" - Set this policy to disabled and you are able to add the MS accounts to your server. This is also working for server 2019.

• Edited by RoiDanton1 Sunday, December 9, 2018 2:06 PM
    Sunday, December 9, 2018 2:05 PM
  • For my Windows 10 pro

I tried the option

"Accounts: Block Microsoft accounts" - Set this policy to disabled and you are able to add the MS accounts "

But still 'add users' does not list the option to add any 'Microsoft account' user to my Windows 10.

Would there be any extra settings?

thanks,

-Vikrant

.dev

• Edited by Vikrantl Wednesday, January 9, 2019 7:15 AM
    Wednesday, January 9, 2019 7:14 AM
  • "For my Windows 10 pro"

You posted your Windows 10 question to a Windows Server forum.  You should post your question to a Windows 10 forum, such as https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=win10itprogeneral

tim

Wednesday, January 9, 2019 3:12 PM