none
Can I confirm I deleted a GPO properly?

Question

• I created a GPO and I was trying to limit it to one server, so I think I placed a deny for read on authenticated users. This locked me (domain admin) out of the policy. I figured it would be best to delete the policy and start over. I deleted it but got an error message after the delete. I didn't capture the error. Is there a way I can be sure the policy is gone?

Thank you

Monday, September 28, 2015 5:38 PM

Answers

• Hi EllisDS,

Thanks for your post.

You could either delete the Link or delete the GPO permanently. You could run gpupdate /force after deleting.  When you delete a GPO, GPMC attempts to delete all links to that GPO in the domain of the GPO. If you do not have rights to delete a link, the GPO will be deleted, but the link will remain.

Please also check in GPMC to make sure there's no Not Find link.

Best Regards,

Mary Dong

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, September 29, 2015 5:47 AM

All replies

• Hi

Open GPMC->Check Group Policy Objects ,is the gpo still exist or not?

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees,and confers no rights. Best regards Burak Uğur

Monday, September 28, 2015 5:49 PM
  • No it's gone. For some reason I thought maybe it might be hidden since I changed it to read deny on authenticated users.I am pretty sure it is gone.

Thank you.

Monday, September 28, 2015 6:17 PM
  • Hi EllisDS,

Thanks for your post.

You could either delete the Link or delete the GPO permanently. You could run gpupdate /force after deleting.  When you delete a GPO, GPMC attempts to delete all links to that GPO in the domain of the GPO. If you do not have rights to delete a link, the GPO will be deleted, but the link will remain.

Please also check in GPMC to make sure there's no Not Find link.

Best Regards,

Mary Dong

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, September 29, 2015 5:47 AM