none
Capture Image is missing from MDT 8443

Question

• After upgrading to MDT version 8443, Capture Image is no longer showing on the deployment wizard. This was working fine on previous MDT build 8330. ADK 4393 is installed, and was installed with MDT 8330, all working fine. Created a new Sysprep and Capture task sequence, did not resolve. Checked customsettings.ini, SkipCapture=NO has not changed. All deployments are working fine on the 8443 version, except for Capture. The only change to my MDT server was the 8443 update. The capture image does not show, this is what I get instead with a Sysprep and Capture task:
    Monday, November 21, 2016 7:12 PM

Answers

• Just a FYI to everyone concerned about the bug...

We opened an Premier support case with Microsoft regarding this and they identified it as a bug within the ZTIUtility.vbs script in the \Scripts folder.

Per the resolution:

Look for this line: 

If (oTS.SelectSingleNode("//step[@type='BDD_InstallOS']") is nothing) and (oTS.SelectSingleNode("//step[@type='BDD_UpgradeOS']") is nothing) then

And change it to:

If (oTS.SelectSingleNode("//step[@type='BDD_InstallOS' and @disable='false']") is nothing) and (oTS.SelectSingleNode("//step[@type='BDD_UpgradeOS' and @disable='false']") is nothing) then

We made this modification on the recommendation of the Microsoft Engineer and verified that it correctly displayed the Capture Screen and Computer Details screen of the Deployment Wizard.  We were able to sysprep and capture again as normal afterwards.

Hope this helps!

• Marked as answer by RotHead Wednesday, December 07, 2016 3:18 PM
    Wednesday, December 07, 2016 2:17 PM
  • [Default]

SkipProductKey=NO

This is a known issue, Mike Niehaus mentioned it on another site a week ago:

I’ve duplicated the issue – it only happens when you specify
    SkipProductKey=NO in CustomSettings.ini.
    To fix the issue, either change CustomSettings.ini to specify
    SkipProductKey=YES or make a simple script change.
    The script in question in DeployWiz_ProductKeyVista.vbs.
    Find this line: if oProperties("DeploymentType") = "UPGRADE" then And change it to: If Property("DeploymentType") = "UPGRADE" then

A bug has been filed for this internally at MSFT.

Keith Garner - Principal Consultant [owner] - http://DeploymentLive.com

Friday, December 02, 2016 7:53 PM

All replies

• I also could not get Capture's to work with the new version. Today I ended up reverting my snapshot of my server and downgrading my deploymentshares. I tried modifying customsettings on a brand new deploymentshare and could not get it working at all.
    Monday, November 21, 2016 9:49 PM
  • Thanks for letting me know you're having the same issue too. You saved me time because my next step was going to be testing on a new deploymentshare. Hopefully there will be a solution soon.
    Tuesday, November 22, 2016 3:29 PM
  • Hi, we are having the same issue, capture task does not work, it was working prior to the update to 8443 version.
    Thursday, November 24, 2016 2:42 PM
  • 	<Pane id="CaptureImage" reference="DeployWiz_CaptureImage.xml">
    		<Condition><![CDATA[ Ucase(Property("SkipCapture"))<>"YES" and Property("DeploymentType") <> "REFRESH" and Property("JoinDomain") = "" and Property("DeploymentType") <> "REPLACE"]]></Condition>
    		<Condition><![CDATA[ FindTaskSequenceStep("//step[@name='Create WIM']", "ZTIBackup.wsf" ) ]]></Condition>
    	</Pane>
    According to the DeployWiz_Definition_ENU.xml this should display if the above conditions are true.  Can you post SMSTS.log and BDD.log to something like OneDrive and share the link here?

Many questions such as where do I find logs and what logs are interesting are found in: MDT TechNet Forum - FAQ & Getting Started Guide Please take the time to read it. Also if you don't post logs your problem won't be easily solved.

Saturday, November 26, 2016 10:45 PM
  • But when you run litetouch.vbs inside windows (To do a sysprep and capture), doesn't it automatically get assigned as "Refresh"?
    Monday, November 28, 2016 1:25 PM
  • Thanks Ty,

I had to rollback to version 8330 for now, so unfortunately I do not have the logs. This gives me something to go on when I reinstall 8440 on a test box - I'll take a look at DeployWiz_Definition_ENU.xml. Is 8440 capture working fine for you?

Monday, November 28, 2016 3:50 PM
  • The only way so far I was able to get the Capture Form to even show was to first present the Product Key form. I had to add SkipProductKey=NO to my CS.ini

I didn't need to enter a Product Key, so leaving the default No Product Key needed option was all the wizard cared about. I now have another issue where the DeploymentType is blank.

[Settings]
    Priority=Default
    Properties=MyCustomProperty

[Default]
    OSInstall=Y
    SkipLocaleSelection=YES
    SkipTimeZone=YES
    TimeZoneName=Central Standard Time
    SkipComputerBackup=YES
    SkipProductKey=NO
    SkipBitLocker=YES
    SkipAdminPassword=YES
    SkipComputerName=YES
    SkipDomainMembership=YES

I should also mention I have a separate Capture and Sysprep task in it's own Share as Media.
    • Edited by MiniMe5739 Monday, November 28, 2016 4:23 PM
    Monday, November 28, 2016 4:04 PM
  • But when you run litetouch.vbs inside windows (To do a sysprep and capture), doesn't it automatically get assigned as "Refresh"?

Post install is what it is set to when you run a task inside a full OS that doesn't install a new OS.

Things are not behaving the way I expect them at the moment.  There might be a connect bug on this.

Many questions such as where do I find logs and what logs are interesting are found in: MDT TechNet Forum - FAQ & Getting Started Guide Please take the time to read it. Also if you don't post logs your problem won't be easily solved.

Monday, November 28, 2016 8:34 PM
  • Thanks, in my logs it was assigning it as "Refresh" so that is probably why it's not showing Capture, even though it shouldn't be Refresh.
    Tuesday, November 29, 2016 3:21 PM
  • [Default]

SkipProductKey=NO

This is a known issue, Mike Niehaus mentioned it on another site a week ago:

I’ve duplicated the issue – it only happens when you specify
    SkipProductKey=NO in CustomSettings.ini.
    To fix the issue, either change CustomSettings.ini to specify
    SkipProductKey=YES or make a simple script change.
    Find this line: if oProperties("DeploymentType") = "UPGRADE" then And change it to: If Property("DeploymentType") = "UPGRADE" then

A bug has been filed for this internally at MSFT.

Keith Garner - Principal Consultant [owner] - http://DeploymentLive.com

Friday, December 02, 2016 7:53 PM
  • Thanks Keith. I didn't see Mike Niehous' post. What site was it on so I can monitor in the future.
    Friday, December 02, 2016 10:29 PM
  • Can we assume a bug fix release will come out in the near future?
    Monday, December 05, 2016 6:49 PM

We opened an Premier support case with Microsoft regarding this and they identified it as a bug within the ZTIUtility.vbs script in the \Scripts folder.

Per the resolution:

Look for this line: 

If (oTS.SelectSingleNode("//step[@type='BDD_InstallOS']") is nothing) and (oTS.SelectSingleNode("//step[@type='BDD_UpgradeOS']") is nothing) then

And change it to:

If (oTS.SelectSingleNode("//step[@type='BDD_InstallOS' and @disable='false']") is nothing) and (oTS.SelectSingleNode("//step[@type='BDD_UpgradeOS' and @disable='false']") is nothing) then

We made this modification on the recommendation of the Microsoft Engineer and verified that it correctly displayed the Capture Screen and Computer Details screen of the Deployment Wizard.  We were able to sysprep and capture again as normal afterwards.

Hope this helps!

• Marked as answer by RotHead Wednesday, December 07, 2016 3:18 PM
    Wednesday, December 07, 2016 2:17 PM
  • Thank you Ian. Your modification to the ZTIUtility.vbs script resolved it for me!
    Wednesday, December 07, 2016 3:18 PM
  • That's awesome, I'll give it a try! Thanks!
    Wednesday, December 07, 2016 4:29 PM
  • Thank you!  I was trying to capture a new image all morning and hit this bug.  I almost forgot I had upgraded last month.

The posted fix has worked for me so far.  I am running through all the various tasks just to confirm it is now functional with no side effects.

Friday, December 09, 2016 5:47 PM
  • I ran into another issue: when it reboots into WinPE to capture the .wim, it does not capture it. It just sits there and monitoring status shows still in Sysprep, when at this point it should go to capture .wim.
    Friday, December 09, 2016 7:26 PM

Per the resolution:

Look for this line: 

And change it to:

Hope this helps!

Am struggling with this, changed the script as above but the capture step doesn't appear and it runs through and then appears with a Deployment Success.

Not sure what is wrong?  I've tried a new TS and still not working. 

Am trying to capture a W7 x86 VM (Hyperv) never had an issue until this latest update.

Any ideas?

Monday, December 19, 2016 2:55 PM
  • I also edited the script (ZTIUtility.vbs) and it doesn't work for me either. Also trying to capture Win7 on a Hyper-V VM (but x64, not x86). 

EDIT: I rebooted the deployment server, then tried Updating Deployment Share and this time it caught the edited script and updated the share. I now have the "Capture" option available.

Per another comment above, I have been skipping the Product Key screen before and after the update (and now after updating the script) and it seems fine.

~if this were /. this sig would be funny

• Edited by owen_i Tuesday, January 03, 2017 9:25 PM
    Tuesday, January 03, 2017 9:08 PM
  • Thanks display-name-in-use I'll try that, I thought that I had already updated the share but will give it another shot.
    Wednesday, January 04, 2017 9:53 AM
  • Am still not having any luck getting this working.  I've edited my ZTIUtility.vbs and tried a reboot, update deployment share but it is still skipping the backup step. 

Can someone post a screenshot of their ZTIUtility.vbs so I can make sure mine matches?

Wednesday, January 04, 2017 4:59 PM
  • you should also update your Windows ADK to 1607.

My ZTIUtility.vbs file

• Edited by owen_i Wednesday, January 04, 2017 5:23 PM
    Wednesday, January 04, 2017 5:20 PM
  • Thanks for this, but still not working after using your ZTIUtility.vbs.  I think my MDT is broken. My ADK is the latest version.

After choosing the TS it just does this and running a few steps of the TS, but obviously don't get any of the computer backup pages.

Wednesday, January 04, 2017 5:51 PM
  • Do we know the progress on the bug?  As the am having no luck with the workaround listed on here.
    Thursday, January 05, 2017 1:53 PM
  • OK I think I've finally located my issue.

I had joindomain= set in my customsettings.ini which I've found doesn't allow a capture to run if enabled.

Just removed and capture is now showing.  I have done a capture just yet but am assuming it will complete.

Thursday, January 05, 2017 2:27 PM
  • MDT version 8443, Capture Image is no longer showing on the deployment wizard. 

Thank you so much. I have wasted days trying to figure this out. I knew my rules were good and was not joined or joining to the domain. Your edit from MS for the scripted worked for me. I hope they fix it soon to save others from wasting time. I search the Internet hi and low for days before I found this. 

Saturday, January 14, 2017 3:07 PM
  • I looked high and low and cannot find any list of Build 8443 known issues before I began down the upgrade path.  I am rather disappointed there is nothing about the issue (or others?) at https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/msdeployment/ so many weeks after the release.

What site should I be visiting to learn about these issues before I install an update?

Thursday, February 16, 2017 12:44 AM
  • I am surprised they haven't released a bug fix version yet...missing captures is such a huge bug. I'm sure a lot of admin's are banging their heads right now about this.
    Thursday, February 16, 2017 1:52 PM
  • Silly rabbit, that's no longer how the world works! It sounds like you like to plan things out to mitigate downtime. NO! Nowadays you just plow into things and when you get stuck, you back out and try a different route! I know I'm getting old, but this approach (stabbing in the dark, blindly) seems to be how things are done now, especially among younger techs - always putting out fires, and rarely managing (planning) to prevent fires in the first place.

Thursday, February 16, 2017 4:25 PM
  • I find it astounding this isn't really marked anywhere on Microsoft's site and so techs have to end up searching the Internet for days, desperately trying various fixes only to find it's a bug in the end. It's almost like nobody at Microsoft tested each and every feature of the update... I know it can be boring but it really does save the rest of us time and sanity! 

Is there any update as to when this will be fixed? We shouldn't need to be diving into Microsoft's scripts to get this to work... 

Monday, February 27, 2017 4:24 PM
  • Speant a few days with this issue trying various fixes from google searches.
    Friday, March 03, 2017 12:17 PM
  • We have a similar related issue. The fix above did work, however it seems to be ignoring our custom task sequence based on the task ID.

[W10SYS151204]
    DoCapture=YES
    SkipCapture=NO
    SkipDomainMembership=YES
    SkipComputerName=YES
    SkipTaskSequence=NO
    DoNotCreateExtraPartition=YES
    FinishAction=SHUTDOWN

This should be skipping the join domain screen, as it did in previous mdt. under the [default] section we do have it joining a domain, but the default section should be being ignored because of skipdomainmembership and skipcomputername. Yet every time i have to specify a computer name, and domain or WG on capture, and also give it a capture location (which is pre-populated by [default], but not skipping the screen to do it when you run the task sequence). 

Something else is going on. It seems to be taking changes to the [default] section but none of the other custom sections which we use to do different things based on task sequence ID. Will post back when we fix it.

EDIT: interesting to note, that if we copy back the OLD deploy DeployWiz_SelectTS.vbs file from the backup directory (previous working version) then the task sequence works fine. I do not think this is a good solution as the file has been heavily modified, probably for good reason, but that does appear to revert it to its previous "honouring the task ID's" behaviour. FYI
    Tuesday, April 11, 2017 9:49 PM
  • I'm having the exact same issue. I have setup roles with specific settings and they do not seem to apply. My CS.ini default section was mostly clean but the task sequence would still show all the options even though I had them set to skip in the role details. I have to edit the CS.ini for every different device type I need to deploy. This is getting old and ridiculous.

This is a brand new first time deployment of 8443 so I can't revert back to an older version. Considering how old this bug is now, Microsoft should have already had a fix out for it.

Thursday, April 20, 2017 2:32 PM
  • I hope this helps someone....

For Sysprep & Capture TS, I use the standard TS, cleanup the State Restore and add the following 2 TS Variables

Set Task Sequence Variable DoCapture

DOCAPTURE=Yes

Set Task Sequence Variable SkipRearm

SkipRearm=YES

I do this right before the Imaging section in the TS. I have no issues capturing WIMs

Thursday, April 20, 2017 7:47 PM

Per the resolution:

Look for this line: 

And change it to:

Hope this helps!

Thank you!!! This fixed my problem. I didn't have to change this setting "SkipProductKey=NO" as mentioned earlier.
    Thursday, June 22, 2017 10:10 PM

Per the resolution:

Look for this line: 

And change it to:

Hope this helps!

This was very valuable. I first tried the SkipProductKey thing, which made the capturing dialogue appear, but in the end, the task sequence failed with:

---------------------------
    Deployment Error
    Invalid DeploymentType value "" specified.  The deployment will not proceed.
    OK  

Only this change made it start.

Besides this: is there any fix on the way? It looks as if 8443, which includes the bug, is still the most recent one ...

Wednesday, June 28, 2017 3:00 PM
  • Thanks it helps, Sysprep and Capture now works from Windows.
    Thursday, July 06, 2017 9:30 AM
  • Christoph and Jasmin,  I just upgraded to 8443 and newest ADK (1703) and made the change to the ZTI script, however I did not make the Mike Niehaus - DeployWiz_ProductKeyVista.vbs change that Keith Garner posted in the beginning of this thread. Did you make this change in addition to the ZTIUtility.vbs posted by Ian Nunley or just the one to ZTIUtility.vbs?

Wednesday, July 12, 2017 3:15 PM