none
Custom Activity Issue in FIM RRS feed

• Question

• We are facing some issue for adding  Custom Activity in FIM Workflow. It will be great help for us if you provide some suggestion/hints to resolve this issue.

Issue description:

•         Case with Activity which was already present: When we tried adding activity in workflow, it is displayed in the activity selector. But as long as we save the workflow, and again open it, activity no longer exists.
    •         Newly created Activity: Activity is not available even in activity selector in workflow

Troubleshooting steps followed:

1.       To start with we did make sure that the custom activity dll is present in GAC in both the servers(portal and service servers) and  did an IISRESET on the server where portal is hosted and restarted the FIM service on the server where it is hosted. This didn’t help.
    2.       Re-created the “Activity Information Configuration” resource which we thought is corrupted. Then followed the step 1. Next we tried creating a workflow which would use newly created “Activity Information Configuration”. But this time we could not see the newly created activity.
    3.       After trying all above minor troubleshooting steps, we started the deployment activity from start and followed following steps:1.      Uninstalled the custom activity dlls from GAC from both the servers.
    2.      Opened the solution code in Visual Studio and Built the solution. This created a new dll for custom activity.
    3.      Installed this dll on both service and portal servers. And did IISRESET and restarted the FIM service.
    4.      Created new “Activity Information Configuration” and repeated above step(step 3)
    5.      Now activity is not available even in activity selector

Tuesday, June 4, 2013 11:41 AM

All replies

• There is an error in the AIC configuration. This results in the activity not being visible in the activity selector. Unfortunately an error in the AIC configuration does not mean an error in fim or the eventviewer.
    Tuesday, June 4, 2013 1:01 PM
  • Hi,

First of all , I think you should check the installed .NET framework, in which you are building solution, on both servers specially on Portal server.It should be same as in which your dll's are build.

While creating Acitivity in "Activity Information Configuration" Please be ensure that you are giving Assembly Name,Type name,etc. correctly. I mean that you should pass all valuse in correct format.

Thanks~

Giriraj

Tuesday, June 4, 2013 9:24 PM
  • Thanks  will check..
    Wednesday, June 5, 2013 6:28 AM
  • portal have 2.0 and we compiled the Activity project with 3.5 framework. but it works in another environment with same configuration . Activity is displayed in Activity selector of FIM Workflow. we added the activity and saved it, But once we saved the workflow and open again then activity disappears.

So please suggest. appreciate your response .

Thanks

Vinayak Misal.

Wednesday, June 5, 2013 6:33 AM
  • portal have 2.0 and we compiled the Activity project with 3.5 framework. but it works in another environment with same configuration . Activity is displayed in Activity selector of FIM Workflow. we added the activity and saved it, But once we saved the workflow and open again then activity disappears.

So please suggest. appreciate your response .

Thanks

Vinayak Misal.

Wednesday, June 5, 2013 6:34 AM
  • Does the activity disappears from the activity selector or from the workflow? If it disappear from the workflow but not from the selector you should check the interface part of the custom workflow. Even if there is nothing to configure you should give a message that there is nothing to configure.
    Wednesday, June 5, 2013 8:29 AM
  • it disappear from Workflow. in custom workflow we have approval activity. This was working fine some days back. but not now. is there any FIM related configuration we are missing.?
    Wednesday, June 5, 2013 8:49 AM
  • In the custom workflow you should have a SettingsPart. In this part you define the interface which will be displayed when a workflow activity is selected. You normally set the configuration parameters there. If you don't have configuration parameters you must provide at least the following:

protected override void CreateChildControls()
            {
                Label info;
                info = new Label();
                info.Text = "Nothing to configure";
                this.Controls.Add(info);
                base.CreateChildControls();
            }

This is just one method there are more.

If this is in the custom workflow check the extended attribute Type Name. This should point to the settings part of the custom workflow.

Wednesday, June 5, 2013 8:58 AM
  • Thanks for Quick Reply..

we have group name as input in custom Workflow. it was working fine some days back. when we save the workflow and again reopen then the activity will disappear..

Thanks

Vinayak

Wednesday, June 5, 2013 10:00 AM
  • is there any suggestion that will resolve the issue please suggest.
    Thursday, June 6, 2013 9:35 AM
  • Check the XOML definition to see if the activity is still in the workflow.
    Thursday, June 6, 2013 12:01 PM
  • XOML is not created while saving the workflow by adding the custom activity. please suggest.

Steps Taken:

We have 2 environment.

1) In one environment the custom activity we created that is working fine and XOML updated screen will display.2) Deployed same Custom Activity Dll From Working environment to second environment .here we are facing issue of saving the Custom activity. here XOML definition screen will not displayed..

please suggest.

Thanks

Friday, June 7, 2013 7:15 AM
  • Please suggest..
    Friday, June 7, 2013 10:16 AM
  • HI,

please suggest if you have any suggestion .

XOML is not created while saving the workflow by adding the custom activity. please suggest.

Steps Taken:

We have 2 environment.

1) In one environment the custom activity we created that is working fine and XOML updated screen will display.2) Deployed same Custom Activity Dll From Working environment to second environment .here we are facing issue of saving the Custom activity. here XOML definition screen will not displayed..

please suggest.

Thanks

vinayak misal

Monday, June 10, 2013 5:38 AM
  • Is there an error logged? This can be the event viewer (application/FIM) or the request log.

Also check the two environments to see if they are the same i.e. same fim version, same .net version, same etc.

Monday, June 10, 2013 7:26 AM
  • We are not getting any error in event viewer related to Custom Activity .There are some error for exchange as exchange is not configured.

The environment is same that is FIM 2010 R2. also using VS 2010.

Also I noticed below problem

I have created the Security group with Criteria Based .However its automatically change with Manual after some times. this is also an strange behavior.

as same dll  of Custom activity will work in other environment so it seems that there is no issue of Code. so is there missing any FIM related configuration over writing the FIM Attribute/MPR etc .please suggest.

Thanks

Vinayak missal.

Monday, June 10, 2013 8:42 AM
  • PLease suggest

Tuesday, June 11, 2013 7:24 AM
  • The change of criteria to manual groups has been discussed before in the following thread:

Change type of group

For your other problem, I am a bit at a loss without any error message. If the two environments are exactly the same it might be a rights issue. The account you use might not have the rights to save the workflow with the custom activity in it.

Thursday, June 13, 2013 1:33 PM
  • The account that i am using that is in Administrator set. i have tried with service account as well but same issue. here i hae 2 environment:

1) where custom activity work:- FIM service/Portal/Sync Service is on same server

2)Custom Activity wont work:- Sync service on different Servver .and FIm service on 2 different server and portal is on Different Server ( e.g:- Fim01 Machine=>Fim Sync Service/FIM 02 Machine:- Fim Servicc/FIM 03 Machine=>FIM Service/FIM 04=> FIM Portal) i am installing the custom Activity DLL in Portal and service machine that is on fim02/FIM03 and FIM04 machine) so is the issue for not working the same DLL of Custom Activity not working here?

please suggest if i am missing any configuration?

Thanks and appriciate your help!

Vinayak Misal.

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 4:08 AM
  • The FIM Service is using the Custom Activity so the dll should be installed on the servers where the FIM Service is running. in your case that should be: (both servers)

FIM Service/FIM 02

FIM Service/FIM 03

The portal is rendering the information from the service and uses the information from the database.

try removing the custom activity from the service machines (in FIM and the assembly cache) and adding the activity on both server (assembly) and then add the custom activity to FIM.

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 11:15 AM
  • HI,

Thanks for Your reply. I have below observations please suggest if you have any suggestion to resolve this issue.

Custom Activity DLL is installed on FIM Service/FIM 02 and FIM Service/FIM 03 then we are unable to see the activity in workflow . then i have installed dll on portal server then i am able to see the custom activity and when i did save button then XOML is not created and when i reopwned the workflow then there is no Custom Activity. so that i snot saved by previous action..

Please suggest!

Appreciate your help!!

Thanks

Vinayak Misal.

Friday, June 21, 2013 9:59 AM