External contact does not work for only ONE user in Enterprise RRS feed

• Question

• Have a puzzler here.  I manage both a on prem Skype for Business 2015 environment (no voip just messaging)and a separate Office 365 environment. I have federation setup between the organization and it has worked perfectly for more than a year.   

Recently I have found one single user, and I have tested dozens of others, who you cannot connect to from the O365 environment.   The person whose first name is leslie is immediately shown when you type out their email address as Office 365 user whose first name is Lesli (no e).  Even with completely different @domain.com ends it will only associate with this O365 user with a slightly different first name. 

I have purge both the SIP Profile and tracing folder, made a totally new Office 365 account to test with just to make sure I hadn't somehow cached this person with my old test account.  And it behaves the same way. 

Internally the on prem user works perfectly, messaging adding as contact anything else. 

One other clue for those who already had the on prem user as a contact now they show Presence  Unknown and cant' message them.

I honestly do not know what side has the problem.  If it was the on prem address book wouldn't I have trouble internally? 

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Craig

Tuesday, December 19, 2017 1:24 PM

Answers

• Hi Craigbon ,

If you use a on premise account  to make a test and get this result ,you could check attribute of AddressBookAvailability in the client policy.

When you sign in the SFB client ,did you get the following notifications?

If you use the O365 account, the SFB client Synchronize addressbook is WebSearchOnly.

You could use the following steps to force Lync clients to update their address book.

1.Set the SFB client initial delay for address book download to 0: Start the registry editor, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Communicator, and create a new DWORD value named GalDownloadInitialDelay, then set the data to 0 and click OK.

2.Close the SFB client if it’s running and delete the GalContacts.db and GalContacts.db.idx files, which you will find in your profile (e.g., C:\Users\username \AppData\Local\Microsoft\Communicator\sipaddree@domain.com folder).

3.Start the SFB client, and the address book should download.

Regards,

Leon Lu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Craigbon Thursday, December 21, 2017 2:05 PM
    Thursday, December 21, 2017 7:46 AM

All replies

• Hi Craig,

If I understand correctly ,when you search the user with a O365 account by the sip address ,sip address starts with “Lesli” ,SFB client just show the records of O365 user ,not include the records of on premise user.

You have created new account for testing, but you get the same issue and cannot see them presence and messages?

For the issue of cannot search users completely, you have deleted the SFB client cache and the issue is still existed, the problem may cause by the O365 telnet, you could verify the URL of GAL status.

To do this, follow these steps:

In the notification area on the right side of the taskbar, locate the Skype for Business (Lync) icon, hold down the Ctrl key, right-click the Skype for Business icon, and then click Configuration Information.

Copy the URL from the GAL Status field.

Start Windows Internet Explorer, and then paste the URL in the address bar.

The message that you receive from Internet Explorer indicates whether the URL can be accessed from the computer:

Successful: Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage. The connection is successful, but because there's no HTML page to display, Internet Explorer cannot display the page.

OR

Unsuccessful: The webpage cannot be found. If the URL is inaccessible from the system, Internet Explorer reports that the location cannot be found or is inaccessible.

You may need to check the Exchange Autodiscover service is set up correctly or not. Or maybe your load balancer VIP is block over port 443 then may see above error or something else.

For the issue of present unknown , you should check the DNS records for hybrid deployments ,all Skype for Business external DNS records should point to the on-premises infrastructure.

Please double check the steps of deploying SFB hybrid environment ,you could refer to the following link.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/canitpro/2015/12/23/step-by-step-skype-for-business-2015-hybrid-configuration/

Regards,

Leon Lu

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, December 20, 2017 5:50 AM
  • Little confused with this let me try to be more clear. EVERY single Office user cannot search for a On Prem user with the first name Leslie. When you start to type that out it associates with a O365 user with the first name Lesli of course the last name and domain names are completely different.

How would check the GAL status help?  These are users all over the country with different connections and firewalls not office workers. There is no way I could manipulate firewalls. And if it was a autodiscover issue why just one single user out of my 700+ on prem skype deployment?  

This is NOT a hybrid deployment. It is two completely separate environments.   One a On premise Skype for Business 2015 server and one a fully cloud based Office 365 environment.   One single on premise person cannot be searched as a contact by all the Office 365 people even though all the others from on prem can be searched and made contacts.   

Can't be anything general since it works with all others that rules out firewalls or autodiscover service issues.   It is always the same person so there is something about her account which seems normal and the same as all others. or the address book our on prem skype creates yet I have generated a new one several times 

Wednesday, December 20, 2017 12:56 PM
  • I deleted the On premise skype account of the user who can't be searched by the Office 365 domain. And then recreate it updating the address book after I was done.

After doing a lot of testing I have found this actually happens with user who have a first name similar or exactly matching a Office 365 person. Doesn't seem to matter that the @domain is different than the Office 365 domain it is just lazy and says oh michelle whatever ok and matches you to a Michelle person in the Office 365 domain. 

If you have a unique first name it works fine. Very bizarre

Wednesday, December 20, 2017 8:04 PM
  • Hi Craigbon ,

If you use a on premise account  to make a test and get this result ,you could check attribute of AddressBookAvailability in the client policy.

When you sign in the SFB client ,did you get the following notifications?

If you use the O365 account, the SFB client Synchronize addressbook is WebSearchOnly.

You could use the following steps to force Lync clients to update their address book.

1.Set the SFB client initial delay for address book download to 0: Start the registry editor, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Communicator, and create a new DWORD value named GalDownloadInitialDelay, then set the data to 0 and click OK.

2.Close the SFB client if it’s running and delete the GalContacts.db and GalContacts.db.idx files, which you will find in your profile (e.g., C:\Users\username \AppData\Local\Microsoft\Communicator\sipaddree@domain.com folder).

3.Start the SFB client, and the address book should download.

Regards,

Leon Lu

• Marked as answer by Craigbon Thursday, December 21, 2017 2:05 PM
    Thursday, December 21, 2017 7:46 AM
  • Internally the address book is fine and available, that would be the On premise account. I will try with the office 365 client to change the delay and download a new address book and let you know. 
    Thursday, December 21, 2017 10:57 AM
  • Ok, Waitting for your update

Regards,

Leon Lu

Sunday, December 24, 2017 12:40 PM