Load balancing on App servers RRS feed

• Question

• In our production farm; We have 2 Web Servers & 2 App Servers.

The Web Servers are load balanced. So while upgrading/restarting I can cut off 1 Web server from NLB and restart it safely without any user impact.

However, our App servers do not have load balancing. So if I try to upgrade Product Service Wizard on the single server sometime entire SharePoint goes down. 

So is it safe to shutdown/Run product Service config Wizard etc. on production Application server directly? Please let me know the safest way.

-Avinash!

Sunday, August 5, 2018 8:23 PM

Answers

• On 2013? No, you cannot have zero downtime while updating SharePoint. Running the Config Wizard will take the entire farm down when it is run on the first server (schema update) and then each individual server on the remaining nodes.

Trevor Seward

Office Servers and Services MVP

Author, Deploying SharePoint 2016

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

• Proposed as answer by Sara Fan Monday, August 6, 2018 2:20 AM
    • Marked as answer by Avinash Badgujar Monday, August 6, 2018 6:05 AM
    Sunday, August 5, 2018 11:33 PM

All replies

• On 2013? No, you cannot have zero downtime while updating SharePoint. Running the Config Wizard will take the entire farm down when it is run on the first server (schema update) and then each individual server on the remaining nodes.

Trevor Seward

Office Servers and Services MVP

Author, Deploying SharePoint 2016

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

• Proposed as answer by Sara Fan Monday, August 6, 2018 2:20 AM
    • Marked as answer by Avinash Badgujar Monday, August 6, 2018 6:05 AM
    Sunday, August 5, 2018 11:33 PM
  • Hi Avinash Badgujar,

If the reply is helpful to you, you could mark the reply as answer. Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Monday, August 6, 2018 2:20 AM