none
Why is there no movie maker in windows 7? RRS feed

• Question

• Why is movie maker not part anymore of windows 7?
    Why do we have to download it as a so called Live application?
    Saturday, February 28, 2009 2:05 AM

Answers

• Hi -

Since Microsoft have decoupled the Movie Maker and other applications from the Windows O/S - there's a couple of major benefits to end users :

- You can download new versions for other O/S's as new versions are released beta or otherwise (ie. so Vista users don't have to get Windows 7 to get a new version)

- they have much shorter release/upgrade cycles then the Windows O/S - which may be tied to either new o/s release or Service Pack updates (which may take 12+ months to normally occur).

The products available from Windows Live are also free - so you won't incur any additional costs by it not being included with the O/S.

I'm not sure if it would cause problems for MS (as what happened with Media Player and EU etc) - but it would probably be a good idea if they made it a little easier to install/download when you're setting up Windows 7 (ie. available as optional updates etc).

Niall

Niall Ginsbourg - MVP Windows Media Center - Australia
    Saturday, February 28, 2009 4:37 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hi -

Since Microsoft have decoupled the Movie Maker and other applications from the Windows O/S - there's a couple of major benefits to end users :

- You can download new versions for other O/S's as new versions are released beta or otherwise (ie. so Vista users don't have to get Windows 7 to get a new version)

- they have much shorter release/upgrade cycles then the Windows O/S - which may be tied to either new o/s release or Service Pack updates (which may take 12+ months to normally occur).

The products available from Windows Live are also free - so you won't incur any additional costs by it not being included with the O/S.

I'm not sure if it would cause problems for MS (as what happened with Media Player and EU etc) - but it would probably be a good idea if they made it a little easier to install/download when you're setting up Windows 7 (ie. available as optional updates etc).

Niall

Niall Ginsbourg - MVP Windows Media Center - Australia
    Saturday, February 28, 2009 4:37 AM
    Answerer
  • M$ has learnt from vista that putting a load of apps into Windows OS makes it bloated and decreases the performance. So with Win7 they've decided to take them out the OS. And offer them as seperate apps which can be downloaded free of charge and there now branded as Windows Live products. 
    Sunday, March 1, 2009 4:21 PM
  •  U can this if you want vista's movie maker!!!
    1- Copy "movie maker" folder from vista's c:/progam files/
    2- Paste "movie maker" folder to windows 7 anwhere or in to "program files"
    3- Run MOVIEMK.exe
    4- if runing normal say THANKS
    5- my movie maker running and have all codec packs
    Monday, March 2, 2009 12:20 PM
  •  U can this if you want vista's movie maker!!!
    1- Copy "movie maker" folder from vista's c:/progam files/
    2- Paste "movie maker" folder to windows 7 anwhere or in to "program files"
    3- Run MOVIEMK.exe
    4- if runing normal say THANKS
    5- my movie maker running and have all codec packs

I can attest that this appears to do the trick. Thanks, man! What a great idea. I thought of trying this last night, actually, but looking at your post reminded me that I still have a Vista 64-bit install on my other hard drive. Piece of cake! It appears to work, but I'll do some more editing to find out.
    Saturday, May 16, 2009 2:48 PM
  • i am  sorry but Vista's movie maker dont running on windows 7 x64.
    i did try vista x64's movie maker too but not running againe.
    but running very fine on windows 7 32bit
    Monday, May 18, 2009 7:14 AM
  • Out of beta version now available here: http://download.live.com/moviemaker
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 3:48 PM