none
same host can't solve when ping RRS feed

• Question

• there is a local DNS server, IP is 192.168.1.22, it's default DNS with DHCP option, and created A record: 192.168.1.23 bbs.gt.com, and the soon is SOA of GT.COM.

some time, user report they can't open bbs.gt.com.

At this moment, ping bbs.gt.com is not success, it cause bbs.gt.com failed to solve as IP, but i can success ntlookup bbs.gt.com from 192.168.1.22.

if i stopped DNS client at user's PC, this issue nevey happen.

do you encoutered simular issue before?

Tuesday, April 5, 2016 10:16 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi GerrYHF,

1.>>At this moment, ping bbs.gt.com is not success, it cause bbs.gt.com failed to solve as IP.

When you ping,which IP it resolve to?Is there a IP conflict?

2.Do you have other name server on your network?Clear both the cache of user and server,test again.

3.Try to disable NetBIOS over TCP/IP.

4.There is a workaround,add a record 192.168.1.23 bbs.gt.com to user's HOST files.

5.You could perform a network captuer on problem client.Determine where is breaking down.
    Here is the link of Windows network monitor:
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=4865

Best Regards,

Cartman

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, April 6, 2016 4:42 AM
  • 1, at the same time, if i ping from other PC, it can resolve the FQDN as IP. no IP conflict.

2, no same name on my network.

3, try to disable Netbios in one user's PC, same issue persist.

4, yes, this is what we done as work around.

update: if we stop service: dns client at user's PC, this issue will be fixed, but if dns client stopped, SCCM can't locate machine with computer name.

could you please advise?

thanks.

Monday, April 25, 2016 3:00 AM