Outsmarted myself in Steady State RRS feed

• Question

• I am working on "perfecting" my implementation of steady state.  (And that is my problem)  I have 2 accounts.  "Administrator" with admin rights and "Day Room User" which is locked down.  I'm not sure how I got to this point because I used to have another account with admin rights (ASC Admin).  Somehow I found it and deleted it, which wasn't easy.  Which at the time was a good thing.  Now when you turn the computer on it goes straight to the Day Room User desktop because i have Admin hidden.  PERFECT!  It tells you that everything will be lost on restart and the times pops up and starts to count down.

So the problem now is how to get back to the Welcome Screen, because it doesn't pop up.  So I can't do a Ctrl-Alt-Del x 2 to get back to Administrator sign in.  I can sometimes trick the machine to go there after a Safe Mode start up.

I've tried F8 in XP Startup, using Admin setup in Bios hoping changes would divert it to the Welcome Screen..  

Does anybody know of a way to get to the welcome screen in this situation?

Thanks,

PaBurgher

UPDATE:  The dual shift I will try in the future.  Thanks.  I found my other backdoor.  If you can get the machine to reboot in safe mode (usually not a problem), then go to system restore option, then cancel the restore you will have all of the user names listed again, including the Admin that was hidden.  Then you can log into Administrator.

• Edited by PaBurgher Wednesday, April 14, 2010 2:52 PM
    Monday, April 12, 2010 2:16 PM

Answers

• Have you tried, while the machine is rebooting, to hold down both Shift keys before the Day Room User automatically logs in? I also have my limited accounts log in automatically but I don't use the Welcome Screen (too much of a risk imo) so in order for me to get into my Admin account to make changes and add/delete stuff, I reboot the machine, and as soon as I see the blue background I hit both the Shift keys at the same time, which stops the login process at the windows logon screen so I can put my Username and Password to my Admin account. See if that works..

Philip

Jealousy is not proof of love, nor proof of emotional immaturity
    • Marked as answer by Sean Zhu - Wednesday, April 21, 2010 1:21 AM
    Monday, April 12, 2010 6:30 PM
  • I would try to see if he can simply log out off the day room user.

James Ghiorzi

Library Assistant II

San Benito County Free Library

Tuesday, April 13, 2010 6:26 PM
  • Yes, if you haven't set "Restart computer after log off", you can simply log off the user and log on as administrator.
    Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Wednesday, April 14, 2010 8:24 AM

All replies

• Have you tried, while the machine is rebooting, to hold down both Shift keys before the Day Room User automatically logs in? I also have my limited accounts log in automatically but I don't use the Welcome Screen (too much of a risk imo) so in order for me to get into my Admin account to make changes and add/delete stuff, I reboot the machine, and as soon as I see the blue background I hit both the Shift keys at the same time, which stops the login process at the windows logon screen so I can put my Username and Password to my Admin account. See if that works..

Philip

Jealousy is not proof of love, nor proof of emotional immaturity
    Monday, April 12, 2010 6:30 PM
  • I would try to see if he can simply log out off the day room user.

James Ghiorzi

Library Assistant II

San Benito County Free Library

Tuesday, April 13, 2010 6:26 PM
  • Yes, if you haven't set "Restart computer after log off", you can simply log off the user and log on as administrator.
    Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Wednesday, April 14, 2010 8:24 AM