none
Decommissioning the old Domain Controller

Question

• I was using windows server 2008 32 sp1 Server as DC.

I added new server as ADC first and then transferred FSMO role to New server Windows server 2008 R2 64 .. made new server DC.

It is working now...

what should I do to  decommission old server? need to remove from my entire network..

Should I perform any cmd or any activity?? 

Friday, January 13, 2017 5:45 AM

All replies

• Hi, 

just run dcpromo on old server and follow up instructions:
    Removing a Domain Controller from a Domain

Friday, January 13, 2017 6:04 AM
  • Hi

Follow the steps on the article to remove dc from domain;

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc771844%28v=ws.10%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

But before proccess just take a full backup and verify dc's health,fsmo roles transfered and PDC is healthy,and replication health also.

run

- netdom query fsmo ; to check fsmo roles holder

- dcdiag ; to check dc health

- repadmin /replsum ; verify replication summary..

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees,and confers no rights. Best regards Burak Uğur

Friday, January 13, 2017 8:05 AM
  • Hi,
    In addition, after demoting the old domain controller, it is also suggested to clean up its metadata:
    Clean Up Server Metadata https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc816907(v=ws.10).aspx
    Best regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, January 16, 2017 7:00 AM
  • Hi ,

1. If the affected DC can be demoted successfully (through command dcpromo or through Server Manager console), just wait for some time until every DC notices this change, and there’s no extra things need to do.
    2. If the affected DC cannot be demoted successfully, perform what we did in our late remote session by follow KB216498 on another good DC.
    Any other method (for example from ADSS console) is not recommended because it’s simple but may not be able to cleanup all the metadata.

Monday, January 16, 2017 7:26 AM
  • Hi,

I am checking how the issue going, if you still have any questions, please feel free to contact us.

And if the replies as above are helpful, we would appreciate you to mark them as answers, and if you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be greatly helpful to others who have the same question.

Appreciate for your feedback.

Best regards,

Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, January 20, 2017 9:34 AM