none
Individual Folders Backup RRS feed

• Question

• I have got two Protection group on the DPM 2012 R2. One of them copy File Based Backup job, that backs up folders and data base. it is a short term protection. It only retains data for 14 days.

Second job run short term (on the disk)and long (Tape) term protection both. Copy Hyper V cluster snapshots of all VMs.

I enabled long term protection on the file based backup for every last Saturday of the month. but there is a job for second protection group that already runs on every last Saturday of the month and use that tape. my question is, does it require for someone to replace a different tape or it would append the same tape for both jobs as it has got enough free space to backup.

Or is there any other way I could backup file based group for long term? I have tried to create another protection group but it does not let me choose.

Monday, May 12, 2014 10:03 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Create a tape co-location protection group set and that will allow both protection groups to co-locate on the same tape.

Colocate data from different protection groups on tape

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, May 12, 2014 9:30 PM
  • I get it but would it affect any other running jobs or times?  can I create a co-location group to copy both jobs on a tape only only for monthly jobs? I have no issue with daily jobs or would it change daily jobs as well?

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 8:41 AM
  • Hi,

The co-location group effects all tape jobs in the PG's - however, if both PG's have different retention ranges for one of the goals, keep the option selection to "don't allow backups of different retention periods to co-locate on same tape.   That is a way to have separate tapes for each PG for the separate goals if you have that requirement.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 3:55 PM
  • Hi Mike, 

So far good but now I am confused on this bit

"The co-location group effects all tape jobs in the PG's - however, if both PG's have different retention ranges for one of the goals, keep the option selection to "don't allow backups of different retention periods to co-locate on same tape. "

does it mean in my case I can not have co-location group. I have one PG for file based short term 4 weeks retention that I want to include on the monthly tape(once a month). Second protection group is for Hyper V short term on the disk and long term on the tape and monthly retention period 8 months for monthly.

I am sorry but I am not sure it would work.

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 7:31 AM
  • You can always make a co-location set, it depends on the settings you select at to which backups will and will not co-locate on tape.    Please read the examples at the bottom of http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj628040.aspx

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 2:49 PM
  • I get it up to now. When I create co-location set would it affect my two existing PGs or would I need to go back and modify them.
    Wednesday, May 14, 2014 5:57 PM
  • Hi,

Co-location sets are a separate entity and do not effect protection groups directly.  Every time a tape backup is started, DPM will look to see if the next dataset written will be on an existing tape, or a new tape.  It make that decision based on existence of co-location sets and the options set within the co-location set that effects that data source and the goal of the recovery point at the time of the backup. 

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 6:53 PM
  • Ok, if I create a co-location of my tape PG and Filebased PG and change nothing else. Would my backups carry on normally? I want to check one step at a time as both of my PGs have different retention policy.
    Wednesday, May 14, 2014 8:03 PM
  • Hi,

When a protection group is not part of a co-location set, the default behavior is that the tape backups will not co-locate (so you have isolated tapes per PG) and the tapes are marked offsite ready after the backups complete, which means you may use more tapes since they are not written to again until they expire.

Once you add a protection group to a co-location set, tapes are not automatically marked offsite ready and instead are available for writing for default 7 days, so you automatically get a benefit just by making a co-location set for each protection group even if you don't want different protection groups to co-locate on the same tape.

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 10:37 PM
  • I have created a co-locate group and unticked "Don't allow backup of different retention periods to co-locate on same tape" and selected the Write Period to 1 but not sure what Expiry tolerance means here?

Tuesday, May 20, 2014 10:14 AM
  • Expiry tolerance of 7 days means that the backups on a particular tape will all expire within 7 days of each other. If a backup is not expiring within that 7 day window it will not be put on that tape.

What this ensures is that once the tape is sent offsite and then the first backup on the tape reaches its expiration date, all other backups on that tape are guaranteed to expire in the next 7 days, after which the tape will be ready to be brought back in.

Make sense?

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, May 21, 2014 6:54 PM
  • What this ensures is that once the tape is sent offsite and then the first backup on the tape reaches its expiration date, all other backups on that tape are guaranteed to expire in the next 7 days, after which the tape will be ready to be brought back in.

does it mean? If one of the backup job expire on the day 5 so would the whole tape be ready to re-write or it would only append the expired job blocks on the tape?

Thursday, May 22, 2014 8:20 AM
  • Tape will be available for re-writing only when all backups on it have expired.

Thanks.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, May 22, 2014 1:15 PM
  • So which expiry period would work? The PGs or Co-locate as they both have got different expiry/retention period.
    Thursday, May 22, 2014 2:33 PM
  • Hi,

Create a tape co-location protection group set and that will allow both protection groups to co-locate on the same tape.

Colocate data from different protection groups on tape

Hi Mick,

When I created Co-locate and my back up started to throw consistency errors all over the place

1 recovery points not created.

"Failed to prepare a Cluster Shared Volume (CSV) for backup as another backup using the same CSV is in progress. "

"Failed to prepare a Cluster Shared Volume (CSV) for backup as another backup using the same CSV is in progress. (ID 32612 Details: Back up is in progress. Please wait for backup completion before trying this operation again (0x8007173D))"

This one is my secondary DPM does and it does not run when I try to re-run it.

"Replica volume (co-located): 250.00 GB allocated, 157.11 GB used 

Recovery point volume (co-located): 117.01 GB allocated, 43.67 GB used"

Secondary DPM does not have Co-locate group I think.

This is what I was scared off. Can you please suggest what I should do at this point.

I have changed Max parallel back ups to 1.

• Edited by Mo Yusuf Friday, May 23, 2014 8:00 AM
    Friday, May 23, 2014 7:51 AM
  • Hi,

Tape co-location sets have nothing to do with disk based backups and cannot cause replica inconsistent errors. Co-location sets ony effect what tape will be used for any given tape backup job. 

Friday, May 23, 2014 1:34 PM
  • Hi,

Please open a new thread as this is not related to tape backups.

Please include the failed Consistency check job details and any vss or volsnap errors on the hyper-V host after the backup or consistency check job fails.  

Friday, May 23, 2014 4:19 PM
  • When I enabled the co-locate on the DPM, does It need extra or do I need to increase replica volume on every job? Does Co-locate require extra space on the replica volume?
    Tuesday, May 27, 2014 3:06 PM
  • Hi,

No, extra space is required on the DPM replica.  The long term tape backups are always done from the last successful disk based recovery point.  This means when the scheduled tape backup job runs, it mounts the latest VSS snapshot for the data source being backed up and writes it to tape.  It's either going to write it to a new tape, an existing tape that has not expired for that protection group, or if co-location is enabled, a tape that is available that meets the co-location criteria that the PG is a member of.  In any case, tape backups do not effect disk based backups.

Tuesday, May 27, 2014 3:15 PM
  • Is there a calculator to calculate how much replica volume is required or is it same size/similar size as VHD?
    Tuesday, May 27, 2014 3:21 PM
  • Hi,

As per the Allocating Space for Protection Groups

Replica size for Hyper-V

• Data source size x 1.5

Tuesday, May 27, 2014 10:11 PM