My Window's 7 recognizes that I have 3 monitors, but it won't let me add the 3rd one RRS feed

• Question

• I Have a ATI Radeon HD 5870 Eyefinity 6 Edition. This graphics card supports up to 6 monitors. However at this time I only have 3 monitors and I'm able to use two. When I try to Extend the desktop. (WINDOWS 7-64-bit) to this display in the "Change the appearance of your displays", it recognizes all three monitors but only works for two. Every time I press the "Apply" button, a Change settings box pops up saying "Unable to save display settings". I'm just trying to get a main monitor with additional screens to place additional windows in them. Could someone please advise.

Thank you,

Marc

Friday, August 2, 2013 8:26 PM

Answers

• Are you using the Display Port?  If you are using three monitors you can only use two legacy output ports (examples are VGA, DVI and HDMI).  For the third monitor you need to use the Display Port.  You can use a MST hub to daisy chain your monitors or to hook up the last display.  The reason for this is because Radeon HD 5000, 6000 and 7000 series graphic cards only support up two to legacy outputs when using more then two monitors.  Bottom line you have to get an MST Display Port hub.

For more information take a look at AMD's website

http://www.amd.com/us/products/technologies/amd-eyefinity-technology/how-to/Pages/faqs.aspx

A really good explanation of this can be found at this youTube video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jf0X0lNFmgw

Remember to select 'Mark as Answer' for replies that provided you with a solution.

• Proposed as answer by CurtisJTrobaugh Saturday, August 3, 2013 12:23 AM
    • Marked as answer by stogyboy Saturday, August 3, 2013 3:24 AM
    Saturday, August 3, 2013 12:23 AM
  • This card is fricking awesome by the way, its perfect for what you are trying to do from an economic standpoint.  What you need to do, rather than buying a MST Hub which could be around $100, get an active adapter.  Stuff like this.  Type this into google 

StarTech.com DisplayPort to DVI Dual Link Active Converter – USB Powered Video converter

Sapphire makes these too, I would check those as well.

Make sure you get one that goes to mini Display Port as your card has six mini DP outputs.

You want to look for adapters that are USB powered in order to power the onboard DAC, although this isn't required I have heard a lot of gripe from my friends about bad performance.

Most likely, you have three adapters that are all passive adapters.  The difference between a passive and active adapter is that an active adapter outputs RAW video data that is then converted by the adapter using its own sync clock independent of the card.  A passive adapter simply allows another video cable to interface with the card.  Your card only can handle two clocks to synchronize video data into HDMI, DVI or VGA.  This is why, connecting the third monitor produces an error.  Windows recognizes that there is a monitor there but your video card doesn't have another sync clock to convert the RAW video data into HDMI, DVI or VGA.

If you have any more questions let me know.

Remember to select 'Mark as Answer' for any reply that provided a solution

• Proposed as answer by CurtisJTrobaugh Saturday, August 3, 2013 2:59 AM
    • Edited by CurtisJTrobaugh Saturday, August 3, 2013 3:23 AM Clarification
    • Marked as answer by stogyboy Saturday, August 3, 2013 3:33 AM
    Saturday, August 3, 2013 2:58 AM

All replies

• Are you using the Display Port?  If you are using three monitors you can only use two legacy output ports (examples are VGA, DVI and HDMI).  For the third monitor you need to use the Display Port.  You can use a MST hub to daisy chain your monitors or to hook up the last display.  The reason for this is because Radeon HD 5000, 6000 and 7000 series graphic cards only support up two to legacy outputs when using more then two monitors.  Bottom line you have to get an MST Display Port hub.

For more information take a look at AMD's website

http://www.amd.com/us/products/technologies/amd-eyefinity-technology/how-to/Pages/faqs.aspx

A really good explanation of this can be found at this youTube video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jf0X0lNFmgw

Remember to select 'Mark as Answer' for replies that provided you with a solution.

• Proposed as answer by CurtisJTrobaugh Saturday, August 3, 2013 12:23 AM
    • Marked as answer by stogyboy Saturday, August 3, 2013 3:24 AM
    Saturday, August 3, 2013 12:23 AM
  • Thanks for you reply!  I feel like now I'm getting somewhere, but a little confused after looking at MST hubs on Amazon. Here is my graphics card: http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/?psn=0001&pid=332&lid=1#

Thanks!

Marc

Marc A Stokes

Saturday, August 3, 2013 2:05 AM
  • You are a big help. I really appreciate the reply. I'd like to add that I bought the graphics card used and it didn't come with the accessories.

Here is a list of them:

CrossFire™ Bridge Interconnect Cable
    Mini-DP to DP Cable
    Mini Display Port to HDMI dongle
    Mini DP to SL-DVI Passive dongle
    6 PIN to 4 PIN Power Cable
    8-PIN to 4 PIN x2 Power Cable

The guy I bought it from said he would give me gift cards from Amazon to replace them. Looking at the list, are those sufficient for hooking up 6 monitors? Looking at the adapters, on amazon they appear to be a little different. 

Thanks,

Marc

Marc A Stokes

Saturday, August 3, 2013 2:41 AM
  • This card is fricking awesome by the way, its perfect for what you are trying to do from an economic standpoint.  What you need to do, rather than buying a MST Hub which could be around $100, get an active adapter.  Stuff like this.  Type this into google 

StarTech.com DisplayPort to DVI Dual Link Active Converter – USB Powered Video converter

Sapphire makes these too, I would check those as well.

Make sure you get one that goes to mini Display Port as your card has six mini DP outputs.

You want to look for adapters that are USB powered in order to power the onboard DAC, although this isn't required I have heard a lot of gripe from my friends about bad performance.

Most likely, you have three adapters that are all passive adapters.  The difference between a passive and active adapter is that an active adapter outputs RAW video data that is then converted by the adapter using its own sync clock independent of the card.  A passive adapter simply allows another video cable to interface with the card.  Your card only can handle two clocks to synchronize video data into HDMI, DVI or VGA.  This is why, connecting the third monitor produces an error.  Windows recognizes that there is a monitor there but your video card doesn't have another sync clock to convert the RAW video data into HDMI, DVI or VGA.

If you have any more questions let me know.

Remember to select 'Mark as Answer' for any reply that provided a solution

• Proposed as answer by CurtisJTrobaugh Saturday, August 3, 2013 2:59 AM
    • Edited by CurtisJTrobaugh Saturday, August 3, 2013 3:23 AM Clarification
    • Marked as answer by stogyboy Saturday, August 3, 2013 3:33 AM
    Saturday, August 3, 2013 2:58 AM
  • Thanks buddy! Yeah, I built my computer myself. And the funny thing is all this stuff is Chinese to me! Ha ha ha

Buying all the parts and putting it together by watching YouTube videos was the easy part. I want to have six monitors down the road. Not there yet. All this stuff keeps adding up. Well, you are God sent man. Thanks for replying to my thread. If I have anymore questions I'll be sure to ask and I'll give you an update. Thanks again buddy!

Marc

Marc A Stokes

Saturday, August 3, 2013 3:33 AM
  • Glad to hear the issue is resolved!

blair deng

TechNet Community Support

Monday, August 5, 2013 4:51 AM
  • I am having this issue too.  However, all I have is the on board which includes 2 display ports and a vga.  It did work at one time and for some reason it decided to quit.  I am using an Dell Optiplex 7010 along with two 23" monitors and one 19' monitor.  I have changed things up in the bios to see if that fixed it but it didn't.   
    Tuesday, May 23, 2017 4:00 PM
  • Sorry I have not posted in a while but maybe this will help.

I Dell 7010 Mini Tower of Desktop computers with Bios of A21 to A25 with three LCD displays using the built in video with VGA/DVI/DVI with two active display adapters with a standard VGA cable.  I noticed that the newer video driver from the Dell site will cause the working of all three screens.  The older driver released in Feb of 2017 or 9.... works best and we won't update the driver since it works on Windows 7 Pro 64 and Windows 10 Pro 64 bit.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Friday, March 30, 2018 3:00 PM