Can you move a secondary site to a different primary site? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

We have a primary site and several secondary sites attached to it so that clients can pull updates/packages locally.
    My boss has asked me to deploy another primary site in our DR location for that purpose.

My question is:

Q] If the primary site was to blow up, is it possible to move secondary site servers to a different primary site?
    i.e. can you detach and reattach or is it an uninstall and reinstall?

Thanks

• Edited by hubbardt Monday, June 5, 2017 1:42 PM .
    Monday, June 5, 2017 1:24 PM

Answers

• As far as i know it would be an uninstall and reinstall .. as the attach or detach is not possible in SCCM.

Kamala kannan.c| Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” or Vote as Helpful if its helpful for you. |Disclaimer: This posting is provided with no warranties and confers no rights

Monday, June 5, 2017 1:39 PM
  • No you cannot, you'll have to remove the secondary site and install it again. Also, a secondary site just "so that clients can pull updates/packages locally" is not needed, a remote DP is all that's needed for that purpose.

Another primary site as a DR plan is not a good idea for disaster recovery purposes. Recovery is fast for a standalone primary site so a good backup is what you need. You can make use of DB replica + MP if you want.

Go over this for HA considerations: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh846246.aspx
    Monday, June 5, 2017 1:43 PM

All replies

• As far as i know it would be an uninstall and reinstall .. as the attach or detach is not possible in SCCM.

Kamala kannan.c| Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” or Vote as Helpful if its helpful for you. |Disclaimer: This posting is provided with no warranties and confers no rights

Monday, June 5, 2017 1:39 PM

Thanks for that info

So as far as DR is concerned we woul uninstall the exisiting secondary sites and then reinstall them to hang of the new primary site server

• No you cannot, you'll have to remove the secondary site and install it again. Also, a secondary site just "so that clients can pull updates/packages locally" is not needed, a remote DP is all that's needed for that purpose.

Another primary site as a DR plan is not a good idea for disaster recovery purposes. Recovery is fast for a standalone primary site so a good backup is what you need. You can make use of DB replica + MP if you want.

Go over this for HA considerations: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh846246.aspx