Problems updating Office 2010 virtual package RRS feed

• Question

• I am attempting to run Office 2010 updates on a virtual package. The original package was sequenced on Windows XP Professional SP3, and is in production successfully for 1800 users. I am opening it for upgrade in the same enviornment it was sequenced on.
    I am using the following process per a discussion with a Microsoft tech:
    1. Downloaded the Office update files manually to the sequencing machine
    2. Copy the package to the sequencing machine
    3. Open the package for Upgrade
    4. Start monitoring
    5. Browse to the Office update files and to run them.
    6. Stop Monitoring
    6. Rebuild Feature Block 1
    7. Save the upgraded package
    Steps 1-4 are successful. On step 5 when I attempt to run the updates, I receive error “An error occurred while running detection”. I am following the process logged in as local admin, but if I try the updates from the command prompt as administrator while sequencing, I receive “The installation of this package failed”. I have checked directory permissions and both the administrator and the System accounts have Full Control access to the location I am installing from as well as to the Q:

I reran the updates from the command prompt and created a log file. It contained a lot of information, but this section seemed to pertain to the problem most:
    OPatchInstall: Reading MSP detection info from 'C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\OWPB19.tmp\word.xml'
    OPatchInstall: Setting system property 'SYS.ERROR.INERROR' with value '1'
    OPatchInstall: Setting system property 'SYS.ERROR.CODE' with value '0x8007006e'
    OPatchInstall: Setting system property 'SYS.ERROR.TYPE' with value 'HRESULT'
    OPatchInstall: Setting system property 'SYS.ERROR.ARG1' with value 'NONE'
    OPatchInstall: Setting system property 'SYS.ERROR.ARG2' with value 'NONE'
    OPatchInstall: Setting system property 'SYS.ERROR.ARG3' with value 'NONE'
    OPatchInstall: Setting system property 'SYS.ERROR.ARG4' with value 'NONE'
    OPatchInstall: Setting system property 'SYS.ERROR.ARG5' with value 'NONE'
    OPatchInstall: Done executing the IfFalse list
    OPatchInstall: CActionIf::execute ends
    OPatchInstall: CActionIf::execute starts
    OPatchInstall: Begin evaluation of the condition
    OPatchInstall: Executing CConditionBooleanOperator::evaluate
    OPatchInstall: The property 'SYS.ERROR.INERROR' exists
    OPatchInstall: The property 'SYS.ERROR.INERROR' is equal to '1'
    OPatchInstall: Evaluation of the condition complete, the result is true
    OPatchInstall: Executing the IfTrue list
    OPatchInstall: Setting property 'SYS.PROC.RESULT' to value '17044'
    OPatchInstall: CActionIf::execute starts
    OPatchInstall: Begin evaluation of the condition
    OPatchInstall: The property 'SYS.ARGS.PASSIVE' is equal to '0'
    OPatchInstall: Evaluation of the condition complete, the result is true
    OPatchInstall: Executing the IfTrue list
    OPatchInstall: CActionPrompt::execute starts
    OPatchInstall: Throwing a quit exception to the script controller
    OPatchInstall: The script has requested to quit the execution
    OPatchInstall: Logging all properties
    OPatchInstall: Property 'LOGPATH' value 'c:\software\updates\log.txt'

From research it looks like 0x8007006E means that the system cannot open the device or file specified.
    Has anyone else run into similar issues running Office updates on an Office 2010 virtual package.
    Any ideas?

Thanks!
    Monday, December 13, 2010 4:13 PM

Answers

• The logs were not very useful, but in researching the issue, I discovered that the MSOCACHE directory that is created when Office is insatlled, only gets created if setup detects 1.5 GB of free space available on top of the space required for installation. I sequenced Office 2010 on a 4 GB drive, so the MSOCACHE directory didn’t get created with the original installation.

To resolve this issue, I used a 6GB drive for sequencing, and then opened the package for upgrade. Next, I ran a repair install on Office 2010, which created the MSOCACHE directory.  However, the repair install failed at the very end and I still couldn’t get the updates to run on the package.  I got Microsoft involved (they have awesome App-V techs!) and after working with our package, they suggested that I use  /extract:path switch to extract all updates, then open the package for upgrade.  Once the package was open, they had me copy shellui.mst  from msocache to each of the folders in the msocache directory. After that, I ran the extracted updates using msiexec /update filename.msp.  The package updated successfully and is now working as it should.

Thanks!

Thursday, December 23, 2010 9:03 PM

All replies

• Hello,

It could be that its missing something that hasn't been captured.

Would be good to know what file is missing to be able to determine if this is the case....

/Znack
    Monday, December 13, 2010 9:20 PM
  • Good point.  I will go through the log file in its entirety to see if I can tell what it is that it can't find. It is a very verbose log providing detailed information in lots of languages... I will let you know if I find anything. 

Monday, December 13, 2010 11:14 PM
  • The logs were not very useful, but in researching the issue, I discovered that the MSOCACHE directory that is created when Office is insatlled, only gets created if setup detects 1.5 GB of free space available on top of the space required for installation. I sequenced Office 2010 on a 4 GB drive, so the MSOCACHE directory didn’t get created with the original installation.

To resolve this issue, I used a 6GB drive for sequencing, and then opened the package for upgrade. Next, I ran a repair install on Office 2010, which created the MSOCACHE directory.  However, the repair install failed at the very end and I still couldn’t get the updates to run on the package.  I got Microsoft involved (they have awesome App-V techs!) and after working with our package, they suggested that I use  /extract:path switch to extract all updates, then open the package for upgrade.  Once the package was open, they had me copy shellui.mst  from msocache to each of the folders in the msocache directory. After that, I ran the extracted updates using msiexec /update filename.msp.  The package updated successfully and is now working as it should.

Thanks!

Thursday, December 23, 2010 9:03 PM