Fail Agent, Fail Routing - transport rule exchange 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• I've created a transport rule like this:

From users that are 'Outside the organization'

and sent to a member of 'DL-shops@xxxxxx.com'

send 'Not allowed to send mail to this address please contact ICT xxxx for whitelisting' to sender with '5.7.1'

except when the message is from a member of 'shops.email.allowed.dl'

I'm checking by the message tracking results as I'm not receiving the bounce back in my gmail account (mailadress which I'm testing with which is not allowed to send to this member of the DL).

I can see the following entries:

RECEIVE SMTP

RESOLVE ROUTING

FAIL AGENT

FAIL ROUTING

in the 2 fails I can see 5.7.1 extended state message but it's not being sent to my gmailaddress ?

Any idea what the issue could be as it seems the rule knows the mail needs to be bounced back?

Thursday, July 2, 2015 10:24 AM

All replies

• Hi,

This blog for reference

http://blogs.technet.com/b/tkern/archive/2012/05/15/a-note-on-defer-and-fail-event-ids-in-exchange-2010-message-tracking-logs.aspx

I suggest to change this transport rule condition from 'Outside the organization' to ‘Inside the organization’, then user inside the organization send a test message to check if this transport rule will work. If this user received the rejected message, then there will be no problem with this transport rule. If this user cannot receive the rejected message, then use message tracking log to track this message for troubleshooting.

What’s more, if your exchange can send message to Gmail account? Do you have other mail account except Gmail to take a test?

Best Regards.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Lynn-Li
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, July 3, 2015 7:57 AM
  • Allready found this article on the technet Blog, thanks anyway!

After searching for the problem I found a solution for 1 part of my problem:

Organization Configuation - Hub Transport - Remote Domains - default properties - Message Format

I needed to check the Allow non-delivery reports (this was unchecked in our case!)

I've tested a lot now and can receive the undileverable when not allowed.
    the only problem now is that even if an external address is a member of the allowed DL it still gets rejected.

When testing with an internal address this works. the externalmailadress which are allowed to send mail are added as a mailcontact into the DL, this DL also includes internal addresses, for the internal addresses that are a member of the DL they are allowed and checked correctly. Any idea what the problem could be ?

Monday, July 6, 2015 10:58 AM