Azure RMS Implementation RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I am looking into implementing Azure RMS in for our on-prem infrastructure.
    We currently do not not have AD RMS, but run a hybrid exchange (with Exchange 2010) and all mailboxes in the cloud. Currently prepping to upgrade to Exchange 2016 (for onprem)
    As well as the on-premise Exchange, we also have Sharepoint 2010 (which we are also in process of moving to Sharepoint Online).
    Our File Servers are currenlty running Server 2008R2.
    I'm looking to clarify the following;
    EXCHANGE: Do the On-Premise Exchange servers need the AzRMS connector configured if the mailboxes are in the cloud (we only have the domain admin mailbox still on prem)?
    SHAREPOINT: If we are planning to do an upgrade within the next 6months would it be difficult to do the switch?
    FILE SERVERS: I understand that running Server 2008R2 lacks some FCI features. Is it necessary or recommended to upgrade these File Servers to 2012R2? I couldnt find any comparisons or Pros & cons of having server 2008r2.

I want to be able to enable RMS for all of these. I have already configured AzRMS with for load balancing (using SSL) and am trying to establish these as the connector states that it cannot be updated later on.

Sunday, August 6, 2017 8:28 PM

All replies

• AlphaDeltaRomeo,

Answers to your questions:

EXCHANGE: Do the On-Premise Exchange servers need the AzRMS connector configured if the mailboxes are in the cloud (we only have the domain admin mailbox still on prem)?

Yes, you'll need the Azure RMS connector in order to configure your OWA experience or Mail-flow rule experience with protecting emails. If you're not wanting the OWA client or Mail-flow rule experience. Then there is no need for the RMS connector to be talking to your exchange service.

SHAREPOINT: If we are planning to do an upgrade within the next 6months would it be difficult to do the switch?

It's a very easy switch over, actually it's MUCH easier after moving over to SharePoint online. Difference being, your SharePoint on-prem server needs to talk to the RMS connector --> RMS Connector talks to the Azure RMS service. The SharePoint Online will just have to be reconfigured to point directly to the Azure RMS service after migration.

FILE SERVERS: I understand that running Server 2008R2 lacks some FCI features. Is it necessary or recommended to upgrade these File Servers to 2012R2? I couldnt find any comparisons or Pros & cons of having server 2008r2.

My suggestion is to use the new AIP scanner, as it's going to give you more functiaonlty and make the process easier compared to having to upgrade all of your File Servers. Link here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/information-protection/deploy-use/deploy-aip-scanner

Azure Information Protection scanner overview

Friday, December 22, 2017 8:14 PM