none
Configure Delete Browsing History on exit

Question

• I am at a loss as to why I can not get this setting to be disabled.

Currently on our domain this setting in Internet Options - General Tab is checked and I need to uncheck it for one of our departments so that they do not lose a cookie that is set from one of the websites they use.

I have the following set in a GPO

User Configuration/Policies/Administrative Template/Windows Components/Internet Explorer/Delete Browsing History

Computer Configuration/Policies/Administrative Template/Windows Components/Internet Explorer/Delete Browsing History

Configure Delete Browsing History on exit Disabled
    Turn off "Delete Browsing History" functionality Disabled

I have verified that the policy is applying but when I do a gpresult /z it shows the policy applying but the state is Enabled not disabled.

Any thoughts on why this settings is not being accepted?

Wednesday, June 22, 2016 3:43 PM

Answers

• Hi,

As I know, once the "Turn off Delete Browsing History functionality" policy is enabled, "Prevent Deleting Cookies" and "Prevent Deleting Temporary Internet Files" are both enabled by default, that means temporary internet files and cookies can't be deleted even if you disable that two policies after you prohibit user to delete browsing history.

Please refer to the section "Group policy" in this article:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, June 24, 2016 2:00 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for your post.

From your description, I understand that you want to configure GPO so that the affected people are able to delete Temporary Internet files and cookies, but not delete the browsing history. Please correct me if anything is misunderstood.

If yes, you could try the below settings:

"Not Configuring" the policy for "Turn off 'Delete Browsing History' functionality

"Enable" the policy for "Prevent Deleting Web sites that the User has Visited"

"Enable" the policy for "Disable 'Configuring History' - Set the limit you want to hold that history.  (Users will NOT be able to delete the browsing History for change this change setting).

"Disable" the policy for "Configure Delete Browsing History on exit" - This removes the option for users in the internet options > Delete

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, June 23, 2016 7:20 AM
  • No I do not want to allow people to delete temporary internet files and cookies, what I want is to uncheck this box.  I was able to get it to uncheck but to do so I had to disable all of the following:

Windows Components/Internet Explorer/Delete Browsing History/
        Configure Delete Browsing History on exit - Disabled  
        Prevent Deleting Temporary Internet Files - Enabled  
        Prevent the deletion of temporary Internet files and cookies - Enabled  
        Turn off "Delete Browsing History" functionality - Enabled

I would prefer to leave the ability for users to delete temp internet files and cookies but I am unable to get the box below to uncheck without enabling the last three policies.

Thursday, June 23, 2016 1:46 PM
  • Hi,

As I know, once the "Turn off Delete Browsing History functionality" policy is enabled, "Prevent Deleting Cookies" and "Prevent Deleting Temporary Internet Files" are both enabled by default, that means temporary internet files and cookies can't be deleted even if you disable that two policies after you prohibit user to delete browsing history.

Please refer to the section "Group policy" in this article:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Friday, June 24, 2016 2:00 AM