PC random shut down + Error booting RRS feed

• Question

• PC Specs:

i7-3770k @ 4.2 GHz

EVGA GTX 670 FTW + most up to date drivers (320.49)

Corsair HX750

EVGA Sabertooth Z77

G Skill 16GB of RAM

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1 installed on a 120GB HyperX 5K SSD (half full)

All Windows Updates installed

Hello everyone, 

Recently, my computer has been shutting down randomly when I attempt to play a high-demanding game. (Farcry 3, Dead Space, Crysis 2.) No BSOD or boot down screen, just a straight shut down. I've looked at my CPU and GPU temperatures and took down my CPU overclock a bit lower (from 4.4.) My CPU and GPU temperatures are fine, never going above 65C and 72C respectively. I attempted to mimic gaming environments by using Furmark and Prime95 to test my PSU if it would crash within a certain threshold. Nothing happened and it was fine.

Another problem: Occasionally when I boot up and enter my password, the screen becomes all white (no wallpaper) and only displays the task bar on the bottom with my set icons. There's a constant error "ping"ing sound that repeats around every 3 seconds. A quick reboot solved this issue however it wasn't the first time.

Thank you in advance.

Monday, August 26, 2013 11:52 PM

All replies

• Please provide us with your Event Viewer administrative logs by following these steps:

Click Start Menu
    Type eventvwr into Search programs and files (do not hit enter)
    Right click eventvwr.exe and click Run as administrator
    Expand Custom Views
    Click Administrative Events
    Right click Administrative Events
    Save all Events in Custom View As...
    Save them in a folder where you will remember which folder and save as Errors.evtx
    Go to where you saved Errors.evtx
    Right click Errors.evtx -> send to -> compressed (zipped) folder
    Upload the .zip file here (if you can) to skydrive or a file sharing service

Wanikiya & Dyami--Team Zigzag

Tuesday, August 27, 2013 1:03 AM
  • https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/103440701/Errors.zip
    Tuesday, August 27, 2013 1:41 AM
  • Tuesday, August 27, 2013 5:02 AM
  • Andrew

There are many reasons for the unexpected shutdown. Several of these have been reported on Overclock as being related to the OC

These are just a few

1-Net framework is corrupt (or not installed correctly)

2-Apache is failing unexpectedly

3-Open GL is missing or corrupt

4-The games are failing because of a "memory exception"  run memtest

5-Maple story is incompatible with this version of windows.  Contact developer for patch/update

6-The 3B bugcheck is also from a memory exception.

7-MSE is crashing & Crypto services are .   Malware?  Run Malwarebytes

These crashes were caused by a memory exception (probably a driver).  Please run these two tests to verify your memory and find which driver is causing the problem.  

Dont forget to upload any further DMP files (especially those when verifier is running)

If you are over-clocking anything reset to default before running these tests.
    In other words STOP!!! 
      If you dont know what this means you probably arent

1-Memtest.
    Download a copy of Memtest86 and burn the ISO to a CD using Iso Recorder or another ISO burning program. Get it here
    Boot from the CD, and leave it running for at least 5 or 6 passes.
    Just remember, any time Memtest reports errors, it can be either bad RAM or a bad motherboard slot.
    Test the sticks individually, and if you find a good one, test it in all slots.
    You can read more about running memtest here

Any errors are indicative of a memory problem.
    If a known good stick fails in a motherboard slot it is probably the slot.

2-Driver verifier

Using Driver Verifier is an iffy proposition. Most times it'll crash and it'll tell you what the driver is.

But sometimes it'll crash and won't tell you the driver.
    Other times it'll crash before you can log in to Windows. If you can't get to Safe Mode, then you'll have to resort to offline editing of the registry to disable Driver Verifier.
    I'd suggest that you first backup your data and then make sure you've got access to another computer so you can contact us if problems arise.
    Then make a System Restore point (so you can restore the system using the Vista/Win7 Startup Repair feature).

Here is the procedure:

Go to Start and type in "verifier" (without the quotes) and press Enter
    Select "Create custom settings (for code developers)" and click "Next" (or  Type "verifier /standard /all"  (no quotes) if you want to verify all of them (this will slow your computer down))
    Select "Select individual settings from a full list" and click "Next"
    Select everything EXCEPT FOR "Low Resource Simulation" and for win 8 dont check Concurrency stress test, and DDI compliance checking click "Next"
    Select "Select driver names from a list" and click "Next"
    Then select all drivers NOT provided by Microsoft and click "Next"
    Select "Finish" on the next page.
    Reboot the system and wait for it to crash to the Blue Screen.
    Continue to use your system normally, and if you know what causes the crash, do that repeatedly. The objective here is to get the system to crash because Driver Verifier is stressing the drivers out. If it doesn't crash for you, then let it run for at least 36 hours of continuous operation.
    If you can't get into Windows because it crashes too soon, try it in Safe Mode.
    If you can't get into Safe Mode, try using System Restore from your installation DVD to set the system back to the previous restore point that you created.

Further Reading
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/244617

About Driver Verifier
    Driver Verifer information  driver verifier Windows Vista - Microsoft Search
    Driver Verifier issues within Vista/ Windows 7  http://support.microsoft.com..default.aspx?+verifier1&res=20
    Driver Verifier Special Pool Feature  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/188831

Please download the free version of Malwarebytes.
    Update it immediately.
    Do a full system scan
    Let us know the results at the end.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/products

Wanikiya & Dyami--Team Zigzag

• Edited by ZigZag3143x Tuesday, August 27, 2013 6:04 AM spelling
    Tuesday, August 27, 2013 5:57 AM
  • Malwarebytes used to remove "detected" items. I've re-installed Nvidia's 314.22 drivers, claimed to be the most stable. Memory seems to be fine. Overclocks removed.

I did the Driver Verifier method and selected all the non-Microsoft related drivers and rebooted. After the Windows Logo loaded, a small beep (different from boot up beep) occurred, and then the computer just rebooted. Basically a continuous cycle of rebooting as long as I pressed Start Windows Normally when it asked me about wanting to use Startup Repair or not. System restored to get back to before the verifier started.

Latest Errors right after all this occured:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/103440701/Errors.zip

Thank you.

• Edited by AndrewX00 Tuesday, August 27, 2013 10:02 PM
    Tuesday, August 27, 2013 9:58 PM