none
Windows 7 slow domain user password change. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello.

I have only Windows 7 machines in Server 2012 domain (Server 2008 R2 functional level). Everything is working fine except when a user changes his/her domain password from Windows 7 machine- it takes a long time ~5 minutes or more to successfully change the password but changing a users domain password from the DC (2012) works instantly.

I hope I posted this in the right forum category.

Thanks in advance.

• Edited by teetsaar Thursday, July 18, 2013 12:40 PM
    Thursday, July 18, 2013 12:38 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Please check if there are some related errors in your Event Viewer. Also, check the error on your DC side.

Tracy Cai
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, July 19, 2013 8:13 AM
  • Can be something wrong in domain controller. Check DC or domain replication using repadmin /showreps

Arnav Sharma | Facebook | Twitter Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Friday, July 19, 2013 9:00 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Please check if there are some related errors in your Event Viewer. Also, check the error on your DC side.

Tracy Cai
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, July 19, 2013 8:13 AM
  • Can be something wrong in domain controller. Check DC or domain replication using repadmin /showreps

Arnav Sharma | Facebook | Twitter Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Friday, July 19, 2013 9:00 AM
  • I recently changed the Default Domain Policy to enable Password changes per best practices. Now my users see the EXPIRED PASSWORD message at logon. When they attempt to change their domain password, the workstation sits in idle mode for up to 10-15 minutes before the giving a success message. The users have to wait for a long time before the computer will allow them to access the logon screen.

I have check the Server logs and see no AD errors or DNS errors in the Primary DC events. Any help would be appreciated.

Monday, February 29, 2016 8:08 PM
  • Did you ever get a resolution to this issue? We are experiencing the exact same problem.
    Wednesday, December 21, 2016 2:58 PM