Outlook 2016 syncing but not displaying Gmail\Sent Mail (imap account) RRS feed

• Question

• Never seen this one before...

Outlook 2016 is newly set up (on a new laptop) with an imap connection to an existing Gmail account. The inbox, inbox subfolders, drafts and trash all sync with no issues - send and receive work fine. However, Outlook shows no sent messages in the [Gmail]\Sent Mail folder. 

Of course, I've confirmed that the "Do not save copies of sent items" box in More settings...Internet email settings is unchecked.

What weird is that sent items are in the .ost file -- they can be found via search. See screenshot below where I isolated one recently sent message. (** The forum is blocking me from inserting an image**) The search results don't give me actionable info to trace where the messages are actually stored. It shows them located in the "Sent Mail" folder, but [Gmail]\Sent Mail shows no messages, and searching within that subfolder yields no results. But when I search from the parent [Gmail] folder, sent items appear when my search includes subfolders. 

I'm not sure if it's relevant that 1) there are two copies of the one sent item I searched for, or 2) the imap status is listed as  "unmarked".

Finally, as a side question, I'm not sure why the imap Gmail mailbox bothers to create a [Gmail] subfolder to contain drafts, trash, sent items and spam.  

Would really appreciate the community's help on this!

Thursday, May 10, 2018 7:56 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Does Sent item folder display correctly on the web mail?

What do you mean by “the imap status is listed as "unmarked".”?

In case there is a corrupted view setting, please open outlook with /cleanviews to check the result. To do this, exit Outlook, press Windows key + R, type outlook.exe /cleanviews in the Run dialog and press Enter.

If issue persists, we could also run /restnavpane command-line switch to regenerate the Folder Pane for the current profile. Open Run and then type outlook.exe /resetnavpane and then press Enter

>>Finally, as a side question, I'm not sure why the imap Gmail mailbox bothers to create a [Gmail] subfolder to contain drafts, trash, sent items and spam. 

According to my research, to avoid additional subfolder, we can set a root folder for your Gmail IMAP account. Please check the details in this link.

(Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.)

Any updates, please feel free to tell me.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Edited by Perry-Pan Friday, May 11, 2018 5:45 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Monday, May 14, 2018 7:15 AM
    • Marked as answer by Greg_22 Monday, May 14, 2018 10:50 PM
    Friday, May 11, 2018 5:42 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Does Sent item folder display correctly on the web mail?

What do you mean by “the imap status is listed as "unmarked".”?

In case there is a corrupted view setting, please open outlook with /cleanviews to check the result. To do this, exit Outlook, press Windows key + R, type outlook.exe /cleanviews in the Run dialog and press Enter.

If issue persists, we could also run /restnavpane command-line switch to regenerate the Folder Pane for the current profile. Open Run and then type outlook.exe /resetnavpane and then press Enter

>>Finally, as a side question, I'm not sure why the imap Gmail mailbox bothers to create a [Gmail] subfolder to contain drafts, trash, sent items and spam. 

According to my research, to avoid additional subfolder, we can set a root folder for your Gmail IMAP account. Please check the details in this link.

(Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.)

Any updates, please feel free to tell me.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Edited by Perry-Pan Friday, May 11, 2018 5:45 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Monday, May 14, 2018 7:15 AM
    • Marked as answer by Greg_22 Monday, May 14, 2018 10:50 PM
    Friday, May 11, 2018 5:42 AM
  • Hi Greg_22,

How is everything going on with this issue?

Please feel free to post back if you need further assistance.

Regards,

Perry

Monday, May 14, 2018 7:16 AM
  • Thanks for your response, Perry.  It seems that there was a corrupted view setting because opening with /cleanviews did the trick! And that fix seems to have held even after closing and restarting Outlook. 

And thanks for the link on the imap fix; that worked as well...with some temporary collateral damage that eventually has been restored.

For what it's worth, when I said “the imap status is listed as "unmarked", I was referring to the value in Outlook’s “IMAP Status” field -- a message attribute that can be displayed via the Field Chooser. I don’t know what IMAP Status refers to, but I thought it might be relevant.

Thanks again for your help!

Monday, May 14, 2018 10:49 PM
  • Hi,

So glad to see that your issue has been fixed!

If you have other questions in the future, please feel free to contact us. We are willing to help.

Regards,

Perry

Tuesday, May 15, 2018 8:14 AM
  • I have a similar issue to the OP.   I have a gmail address, and had problems recently with Outlook not connecting to gmail (error 0x800CCC0E).   This was fixed by allowing google to access "less secure apps" (I think that was the phrase, can't find the setting now).   

But now all my previous Sent Mail has disappeared from Outlook.  New sent items (since the above fix) are appearing, but not older ones.  They are still all present on google mail.   

I tried the solutions above just in case, but they don't work for me.  Is there a way I can get Outlook to download all the older sent items?

Tuesday, September 17, 2019 11:04 AM
  • Hey Jon,

I'm having the exact same issue as you. Earlier I had to change gmail to allow "less secure apps" and now my sent emails are no longer showing up in outlook. Did you ever find a solution to your problem?

Wednesday, October 2, 2019 11:25 PM
  • Hey Jon,

I'm having the exact same issue as you. Earlier I had to change gmail to allow "less secure apps" and now my sent emails are no longer showing up in outlook. Did you ever find a solution to your problem?

Same problem. No sent emails shown for Gmail account in Outlook 2019

Anuìy suggestion?

I set the double autentication in Gmail to have email sent as stated in 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/Exchange/mailbox-migration/migrating-imap-mailboxes/prepare-gmail-or-g-suite-accounts?redirectSourcePath=%252fen-us%252farticle%252fprepare-your-gmail-account-b650957d-4446-425a-ab78-01b89cbead93

Enzo CONTINI

Thursday, October 24, 2019 2:31 PM