Word loading the properties of the wrong content type into the Document Information Panel RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Guys,

I am having an issue with MOSS and Word, where the propeties of the wrong content type get loaded into word's document information panel when I create a new word document. And it only happens in the following scenario.

1. Create a Base Content Type
    2. Create 3 other content types (Document1, Document2, and Template) that inherit from Base Content type, and add some custom columns to each of them.
    3. Add the Template Content Type to a document library and create two doucments using them (e.g. template1.docx and template2.docx)
    4. Set the document template of Document1 to template1.docx and the document template of Document2 to template2.docx.
    5. Add Document1 and then Document2 Content Types to a document library (in that order specifically)
    6. Create a new document using Document2 and save it. If you check the Document Information Panel you will see that it has loaded the columns of Document1 and not Document2.

I was able  to recreate this issue on 3 differnt MOSS installations.

Would appreicate any thoughts on this issue guys?

-Tariq
    (p.s version of Office used is Office 2007)
    Wednesday, January 7, 2009 11:57 AM

All replies

• We have the same problem. 
    We create a new document by it's content type, but when we save it, we get the properties of another content type in the same library. 

Does anybody know the answer?

Chaja
    Monday, January 19, 2009 2:13 PM
  • I'm having the exact same problem. I hope a suggestion will come soon.
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 9:58 AM
  • I have experienced this too. I believe it is a bug, but cannot find a hotfix for it yet. This only occurs when you link your content type template to a document that resides within sharepoint. It defaults to the default content type of that library.

If you upload a template directly to the content type, then this won't happen.

Regards,
    Tomas
    Wednesday, April 29, 2009 1:54 PM
  • We experienced this as well. However we discovered the cause and were able to resolve it. The problem is not in SharePoint, but in the Office applications.

The information stored in the properties panel remained when we moved a template from one library with its set of column site information to another library with different column site info.

Here is what we did to fix it:

1. Ensured all of the Word documents were saved as .dotx files. This may not be necessary but it's good practice to save the documents as templates since that is how they will be used.

2. Copy the content from the corrupted document by selecting Ctrl-A, then created a new document and pasted the content into it. Save the new document in the .dotx format and upload the new document to the respective Content Type.

This corruption didn't occur only to Word. Excel also retained the corruption, so you may want to do the same thing to any Excel files you want to associate as a "template" to its respective Content Type.

Just to be safe I also followed this procedure with any other Office documents, such as PowerPoint, Project, etc...

This did the trick.

-Chad
    www.5280solutions.com

• Proposed as answer by Ctcoon71 Thursday, May 14, 2009 2:45 PM
    • Edited by Ctcoon71 Thursday, May 14, 2009 2:49 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Mike Walsh FIN Thursday, May 14, 2009 3:30 PM
    • Proposed as answer by WebAsh Monday, May 21, 2012 3:08 AM
    Thursday, May 14, 2009 2:44 PM
  • Ctcoon71, it's too bad your answer was unproposed.  I'm using a similar solution and it's the only thing that seems to work.  We do have an annoying, related problem though.
    We have set up a site (and a template from that site) that project managers can utilize at the beginning of a new project to create their own "project site".  There is a document library in that site that contains templates for Word, Excel and PowerPoint documents.  There are custom content types for each of those, each containing custom site columns.
    After a project site is created, a user can go to that library and create a Word document.  Word is launched with the empty template, but the Document Information Panel (DIP) is not shown - and should be.  When the user saves the file they get an error "This file cannot be saved because some properties are missing or invalid."  Click on "Go to Document Information Panel" and you see the DIP that should have been there to begin with.
    The only solution I could come up with is to fix each document library after the project site is created.  And by 'fix' I mean:
    1. Browse to document library
    2. Go into Document Library Settings
    3. For each Content Type, click on it and go into Advanced Settings
    4. Upload a new document template*.

* At least I can upload the template that I stored in SharePoint - but only because I have used the "Actions, Open with Windows Explorer" from my template library.  I believe using that adds the path to your "Web Folders".

Any thoughts on a better work-around?
    Thanks, c
    Tuesday, October 6, 2009 3:10 PM
  • I had similar problems where my custom content types referenced a document in a central document library for the template to use when you click "New". When opened in Word, the information panel will show the attributes from the document library the template is in, rather than the attributes for the content type it is being created for. It is only when you save the document, that it will then apply the attributes from the content type it is created for, and show up with "Go to document information panel" - because some of the attributes are required.

So the only solution is if you deploy a custom template inside each content type. If it is based on another content type, Word will treat it as the base content type until it is saved as the new one (saved in the document library you've clicked "New" in). Ideally sharepoint would tell word what the intended content type is and it would be aware of it before the document is saved. So anyway this can make it difficult to have centralised template files. But the simple work around is to make sure your new content type has at least 1 required field, so the "Go to document information panel" button will come up when the users save the document. That will promt them to fill it out, and also force it to be displayed once Word is aware of what content type the document it is intended to be.

Thursday, February 25, 2010 11:05 PM