Contact Card in Outlook share point link pointing to wrong sharepoint RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have bot of a weird one here as its effecting people randomly rather than everyone.

In outlook, if some users create an email or calendar meeting, if they hover over a users name the contact card appears.  When selecting 'view profile > sharepoint' this is pointing at the wrong sharepoint site (we have dev, uat and production).  This isn't happening for all users but is affecting a number.

Users are on windows 10 with Office 365.

I have searched the web but anything I have found refers to older OS version and nothing exactly matches.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Many thanks

• Moved by Perry-Pan Thursday, August 1, 2019 3:00 AM
    Wednesday, July 31, 2019 4:42 PM

All replies

• If we log on the web mail, click on the contact name and choose See more, are all the details correct (like Files tab)?

Is that specific people’s SharePoint link are not correct when checking on multiple Outlook client? Or it occurs to some Outlook clients?

What’s your account type? Exchange, POP or IMAP?

For Exchange account, if you are using Cached Exchange mode, please switch to Online mode to test the results.

In addition, we can create a new profile for problematic user to see if it lies on some personal settings.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Thursday, August 1, 2019 3:00 AM
  • Hi

Thanks for you reply.  We use Exchange online here, I will test the cached mode and also if that doesn't work a new profile.

Its a weird one becuase if I for example click through to view someones sharpoint link from a contract card it goes to the correct location, where as if one of the randomly effected people does the same for the same person it goes to the wrong location.

I will test the above and feedback.

Many thanks

Thursday, August 1, 2019 7:29 AM
  • Hi

Tested both tuening off cached mode and also recreating profile but this hasn't helped.

I saw the post below that points to the url for the sharepint site being stored in registry but as we are on WIndows 10 I cannot find anything like this in registry.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/dcc37911-524a-4810-a67a-d51289e2af59/outlook-contact-card-name-link-goes-to-wrong-sharepoint-mysite-url?forum=sharepointadminprevious

Bit of a strange one.

Thursday, August 1, 2019 12:49 PM
  • Hi,

I haven't found the registry key on my side either.

I'm trying to catch the path via Process Monitor. From the results, I haven’t found specific registry keys, but Outlook seems to read the information from OAB. Let's recreate Offline Address Book on problematic client to see if it helps.

Open the default path for OAB:

C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook

Rename the Offline Address Book folder to .old. Restart Outlook. A new one will be created automatically.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Friday, August 2, 2019 7:19 AM
  • Thanks for your suggestion but that also didn't work.
    Friday, August 2, 2019 9:10 AM
  • We could use Microsoft Support and Recovery Assistant (SaRA) to run tests to resolve many different problems. It can gather the Outlook profile configuration information that's helpful when you troubleshoot problems. For more details, please refer to this link. As this issue occurs randomly, it would be difficult to directly find the root cause.

Monday, August 5, 2019 6:12 AM
  • Thanks.  I will get a user to run this today.
    Tuesday, August 13, 2019 10:42 AM
  • Hi

An affected user has run the tool and sent me the logs.  What should I be looking for?

Kind regards

Thursday, August 15, 2019 9:10 AM
  • Hi

An affected user has run the tool and sent me the logs.  What should I be looking for?

Kind regards

Tuesday, August 20, 2019 8:55 AM
  • Normally, when you run this tool, it will show details under Issues Found:

We can check if there are anything related with your issue.

Under Detailed View, we can check Event logs and see if any related fault module will be recorded there.

Tuesday, August 20, 2019 11:03 AM
  • Thank you, removing Cached Exchange mode in account settings worked for me.

The problem started when I added another work account and then removed it. Since then, the desktop version of Outlook was directing me to the second SharePoint even after I removed the account from my Windows. After switching to online mode things got back to normal.

Tuesday, March 10, 2020 5:40 PM