Problems with USB drivers for Archos 605 Wifi on a Vista Laptop RRS feed

• Question

• I recently bought an Archos 605 Wifi and haven;t been able to use it properly becuase when i plug it in Vista tries to install the drivers but it is unsucessful. All of the settings are correct on the device.

Heres what happens

1. Plug in the device and enable the USB connection on the device.

2. Vista says installing drivers for the new founf hardware.

3. A tab appear on the tool bar with 'Found New Hardware'.

4. I click on the tab.

5. Thre are three options 'Locate and install drivers'

' Ask me again later'

''dont show messege again for this device'

6. I click install and locate drivers.

7. The installing device driver software begins.

8. It says a605 and searching windows update and begins to search.

9. This then fails and asks me to insert the disk that i got with the hardware.

10. I dont have a disk (dont need one acorrding to Archos.com) so i choose that option.

11. It then says 'check for a solution' or 'search for drivers manually'.

12. I then choose check for a solution and it fails that.

13. i have also tried to locate the drivers manually but didn't get that to work.

I use a Disgo USB pen all the time, and that works but i've also tired to use a belkin mouse and my Sony Erricson Mobile phone but these devices don't work.

My friend has recently purchased the same laptop (Toshiba P200-1ED) and has the same problem when she tried to install her printer and her mouse.

Can someone please help.

Friday, January 4, 2008 9:04 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I don't have a Archos 605 Wifi, but I found something on ARCHOS website:

When connecting your device to the PC as a windows device the unit will be automatically recognised if windows media player 10 or higher is installed on the computer,

When the Archos 605 is connected on the computer as pc hard drive it doesn’t need any driver to work under windows (ME, 2000, XP, and VISTA)

Under Windows ME, and Windows 2000 you’ll have to select “Hard Drive” mode. Switch USB port to "Hard Drive" mode as well for Macintosh (MacOS 10.2.4 or later).

Attention: Archos 605 is NOT supported on Win95, Win98 (regular version and SE) or on WinNT. It is not supported too by older Mac versions.

So I think you can cancel the driver installation and then you should find a new Hard Disk Driver in My Computer. Just use it like a normal USB flash disk. If you cannot find the hard disk, can you test it on another computer? It will tell us which part got a problem, the computer or the Archos 605 Wifi.

As to your other USB devices, perhaps they need a driver installed before they can work properly. You'd better ask the hardware vendor for more information.

Thanks.

Sincerely,

Yog Li

Microsoft Online Community Support

Monday, January 7, 2008 5:57 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I don't have a Archos 605 Wifi, but I found something on ARCHOS website:

When connecting your device to the PC as a windows device the unit will be automatically recognised if windows media player 10 or higher is installed on the computer,

When the Archos 605 is connected on the computer as pc hard drive it doesn’t need any driver to work under windows (ME, 2000, XP, and VISTA)

Under Windows ME, and Windows 2000 you’ll have to select “Hard Drive” mode. Switch USB port to "Hard Drive" mode as well for Macintosh (MacOS 10.2.4 or later).

Attention: Archos 605 is NOT supported on Win95, Win98 (regular version and SE) or on WinNT. It is not supported too by older Mac versions.

So I think you can cancel the driver installation and then you should find a new Hard Disk Driver in My Computer. Just use it like a normal USB flash disk. If you cannot find the hard disk, can you test it on another computer? It will tell us which part got a problem, the computer or the Archos 605 Wifi.

As to your other USB devices, perhaps they need a driver installed before they can work properly. You'd better ask the hardware vendor for more information.

Thanks.

Sincerely,

Yog Li

Microsoft Online Community Support

Monday, January 7, 2008 5:57 AM
  •  meganj15 wrote:

I recently bought an Archos 605 Wifi and haven;t been able to use it properly becuase when i plug it in Vista tries to install the drivers but it is unsucessful. All of the settings are correct on the device.

Heres what happens

1. Plug in the device and enable the USB connection on the device.

2. Vista says installing drivers for the new founf hardware.

3. A tab appear on the tool bar with 'Found New Hardware'.

4. I click on the tab.

5. Thre are three options 'Locate and install drivers'

' Ask me again later'

''dont show messege again for this device'

6. I click install and locate drivers.

7. The installing device driver software begins.

8. It says a605 and searching windows update and begins to search.

9. This then fails and asks me to insert the disk that i got with the hardware.

10. I dont have a disk (dont need one acorrding to Archos.com) so i choose that option.

11. It then says 'check for a solution' or 'search for drivers manually'.

12. I then choose check for a solution and it fails that.

13. i have also tried to locate the drivers manually but didn't get that to work.

I use a Disgo USB pen all the time, and that works but i've also tired to use a belkin mouse and my Sony Erricson Mobile phone but these devices don't work.

My friend has recently purchased the same laptop (Toshiba P200-1ED) and has the same problem when she tried to install her printer and her mouse.

Can someone please help.

Sunday, April 13, 2008 2:25 PM
  • Ran into a similar problem. I've gotten around it by simply dragging my music into the music folder on the device.
    Thursday, October 23, 2008 12:02 AM