none
Xbox Music / Modern-UI apps in Volume Mixer? RRS feed

• Question

• Is there any known intent to support modern-ui apps such as Xbox Music in the Volume Mixer (or adding a modern-ui specific volume mixer)? This lack of independent volume control for the Xbox Music app has resulted in my resorting to the Zune software for accessing my Xbox Music Pass content on Windows 8.
    Thursday, November 8, 2012 2:57 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for using Windows 8.

I recorded your feedback.

Juke Chou

TechNet Community Support

Sunday, November 11, 2012 1:36 PM
  • Since the Windows 8 apps are using hardware acceleration, I highly doubt that we'll see them into the volume mixer.

Sunday, November 11, 2012 2:18 PM
  • More feedback. I opened a confidential business-related .wma file on my desktop and of course it came up in the Modern-UI 'Music' app playing too loud. I'm looking everywhere for a volume control while people down the hall are listening to my message. I clicked the 'home' icon in the Music app which took me to xbox music. While in xbox music I moved my mouse over to the left side of the screen exposing an unlabeled white rectangle which I clicked and a song in my collection starts playing - TOO LOUDLY!

I broke out to the desktop where I could change the volume but the experience was very frustrating so I'm changing all my audio file associations to use Media Player.

The Music app is obviously designed for a device with a physical volume control and should not be the default app in a desktop role.

• Edited by B Feazell Wednesday, November 14, 2012 3:36 PM
    Wednesday, November 14, 2012 3:36 PM
  • I must admit I don't hate the xbox music app on my desktop. The ui is not terrible (with the exception of a few issues i have already logged via feedback). My main concern here though is that the volume it plays at is always 100% of the master volume. It also breaks when using voip programs such as Steam's voice chat. I think the volume of the app's output should be left up to the user. I want to be able to turn it down without affecting my master volume and I want to decide what action to take during a voip call. The annoying thing is that Windows has a defined setting for volume during voip calls yet this app ignores it outright and does its own thing instead with no option to change its behaviour.

If at first you don't succeed, redefine success.

Thursday, November 15, 2012 6:59 PM
  • ^^^ AGREE 100% We need to be able to adjust our music volume!!
    Monday, November 19, 2012 11:01 PM
  • i have a similar problem @win8, i didnt know how to solve it.

i would like to use xbox music while havin a skype call at skype desktop version. so both are microsoft products. the music is always louder than the person i am talkin to, so i have to pause the music. it should be possible to manage the volume of both apps. actually if i reduce the music volume, it also reduces the skype volume.

is there already a way to solve it? (i tried the option in system settings -> sounds -> reduce sounds by 50% while using microphone, but didnt fixed the problem)

Saturday, November 24, 2012 11:38 AM
  • I must admit I don't hate the xbox music app on my desktop. The ui is not terrible (with the exception of a few issues i have already logged via feedback). My main concern here though is that the volume it plays at is always 100% of the master volume. It also breaks when using voip programs such as Steam's voice chat. I think the volume of the app's output should be left up to the user. I want to be able to turn it down without affecting my master volume and I want to decide what action to take during a voip call. The annoying thing is that Windows has a defined setting for volume during voip calls yet this app ignores it outright and does its own thing instead with no option to change its behaviour.

If at first you don't succeed, redefine success.

Yeah, I'm not sure how in the world anyone could even think to design a music/video playing app that didn't have it's own volume slider, to me that seems like it would be right up there with a pause/play button in terms of things that are absolute requirements. Having the volume of the app be 100% of system volume makes use of the xbox music app a complete non-starter for me as it plays my music entirely too loud if I set it high enough to be able to hear games and other things I use that have sound. Not to mention the horrible inconvenience of having to open the charms bar just to change the volume.
    Wednesday, December 12, 2012 8:13 AM
  • I searched for 'Xbox music volume' & found this thread all ready exists eith my complaint: xbox music needs it's own volume controls.
    Monday, January 28, 2013 3:35 PM