Reverting to previous display settings - how to change timeout RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, how do I change the timeout for this? I change my display options, and normally, Windows will revert to my previous settings withing a few seconds, if I myself do not interact.
    However, all of a sudden, this value is more than 29,000 seconds, which makes 8 hours.

Displaysettings

Where (in registry) do I edit this value?
    Windows 7 Pro 64 bit all current patches / updates applied

-Ingvar

• Edited by ingvarius Tuesday, October 7, 2014 7:07 PM
    Tuesday, October 7, 2014 7:06 PM

Answers

• Hi everyone, thank you for your kind help!
    I have found the solution myself, it was like I expected, a change I made some moths ago, which I had forgotten. I must be better at documenting system changes, it seems..

Here, you can set the time from 0 seconds to several years, if you want:

The key to edit is HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Accessibility, then edit the value MessageDuration, where the decimal value is in seconds.

I had 30,000 seconds when I posted the initial message here in this thread, now I have changed it to the more practical value of 30 seconds. And it works as expected.
    Case closed!
    Regards,
    -Ingvar 

• Marked as answer by ingvarius Monday, October 13, 2014 7:17 PM
    • Edited by ingvarius Monday, October 13, 2014 7:20 PM
    Monday, October 13, 2014 7:16 PM

All replies

• Hi,

We will need more time to reproduce and test this issue, and we will inform you if we have any new updates.

Meanwhile, have you tried to reinstall the video card driver and check if it can make any difference?

Yolanda Zhu
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, October 8, 2014 8:14 AM
  • Hi,

Step #1: 
    Open your start menu and in the search bar type in regedit and hit enter. UAC will pop-up asking if you would like to allow this program to make changes to the computer, just hit Yes.
    Step #2:
    In the left pane of regedit you will see a list of registry keys;
    - Click the little white arrow beside HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG to expand this key.
    - Expand System > CurrentControlSet > Control > VIDEO

Step #3:
    Now you should see one or mroe keys with random numbers and letters, for example my video key is {F92BFB9B-59E9-4B65-8AA3-D004C26BA193}.
    If you expand these keys you will see another key in each of these named 0000.

Simply click on these 0000 keys to see their values, you are looking for the one that has multiple values in it, for example Attach.RelativeX, Attach.RelativeY, etc.
    The proper 0000 key should also have a child key (which is your monitor's registry settings, yay!), mine is named Mon12345678 but yours may be different.

Step #4:
    Now for the registry changes, since 0000 and the Mon12345678 keys have the same settings and values, I changed both of them to be identical. I'm not entirely sure which one windows 7 uses, but it doesn't hurt to change them both just to be sure.
    In order to change a registry key's values;
    - right click on the Name of the value and select Modify... 
    where it says Base select the Decimal option
    - input the new numerical value you wish to enter in the Value data: text field
    The settings to change are;
    Attach.RelativeX - this is your screens X resolution, mine is set to 1360
    Attach.RelativeY - this is your screens Y resolution, mine is set to 768
    DefaultSettings.XResolution - this is your screens default X resolution, mine is set to 1360
    DefaultSettings.YResolution - this is your screens default Y resolution, mine is set to 768
    Step #5:
    You are done! Simply click File>Exit and your registry settings will automatically be saved.
    *Note* A system reboot may be required before these settings take effect.

Hope this helps everyone who has run into this problem!

Regards, Koustov Choudhury

Wednesday, October 8, 2014 9:52 AM
  • Hi and thank you for your help!
    I am a Windows programmer, by the way.

In regedit I see no keys at all:

Of the top of my head.. I think that I once, some time ago, changed the default time for how long balloons in the system tray appear. I thought they disappeared too soon, and I have perhaps increased this time, a lot. Can these two things have anything with each others to do?

-Ingvar

• Edited by ingvarius Wednesday, October 8, 2014 3:17 PM
    Wednesday, October 8, 2014 3:16 PM
  • No I don't think so !

But for a review could you specify the changes you have done.

Thursday, October 9, 2014 4:03 AM
  • Hi ingvar,

We are still unable to reproduce this issue, but according to your description, you can manually check the registry keys under

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]

or

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced]

in the right pane, fine the registry keys which are related with "notification" or might remind you about what you have changed.

And "no keys under VIDEO", this is abnormal, do you have a similiar system\machine, export the registry entry from that machine and export it to the problematic system, restart the PC, test the result.

(Please first backup your regsitry before you making any changs on registry)

By the way, have you tried to reinstall the video driver, any result?

Or if you have a restore point, you can also choose return the PC to a previous state at which everything is functioning fine (note: you will lose some recent settings)

Yolanda Zhu
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, October 13, 2014 1:48 AM
  • Hi everyone, thank you for your kind help!
    I have found the solution myself, it was like I expected, a change I made some moths ago, which I had forgotten. I must be better at documenting system changes, it seems..

Here, you can set the time from 0 seconds to several years, if you want:

The key to edit is HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Accessibility, then edit the value MessageDuration, where the decimal value is in seconds.

I had 30,000 seconds when I posted the initial message here in this thread, now I have changed it to the more practical value of 30 seconds. And it works as expected.
    Case closed!
    Regards,
    -Ingvar 

• Marked as answer by ingvarius Monday, October 13, 2014 7:17 PM
    • Edited by ingvarius Monday, October 13, 2014 7:20 PM
    Monday, October 13, 2014 7:16 PM
  • Hi,

This is really a helpful info.

Tuesday, October 14, 2014 3:42 AM
  • Hello,

This does not work for me.

I have multiple monitors and when I try to change the monitor configuration, i also get the timeout dialogue that its reverting back after timeout.

In my case it is 15s and I know this is the Windows default as I've never changed it.

When I look at this registry value, it is only (5), which does not even match.

I tried increasing the value anyway but the timeout remained 15s.

Friday, July 15, 2016 8:16 PM