none
Cannot Delete or Ignore Alerts within Dashboard

Question

• Newly Installed Windows Server 2012R2 Essentials on HP MicroServer-Gen8 exhibits the following behaviour: 

Whenever an alert is popping up on the Dashboard i cannot Ignore it or Deleted it. An example could be that i cannot ignore the Critical Warning for Low hard drive Disk Space on one of my Clients PCs.

I am right clicking on the Specific Alert and click Ignore or Delete. I am getting the Warning that the alerts will pop up again even if i ignore it. I am clicking yes to proceed and i am only getting the green bar that it indicates that it is processing the command but it never completes for hours at a time.

I have to close by red X button to dismiss the progress greenbar. 

It doesn't complete anything whatever the action will be Ignore or Delete. Any Ideas what might be the cool pit?? 

• Edited by Wiseman Thursday, February 08, 2018 5:10 PM
    Thursday, February 08, 2018 5:10 PM

All replies

• Hi,

On Dashboard – Health Monitoring, if you delete an alert and the server detects the problem again in the next network health evaluation cycle, it generates a new alert.

You can choose to Ignore the alert, then, this alert will not display on upper right corner of Dashboard, but it still disabled on Health Monitoring.

As far as I know, there is no exactly method the delete the error permanently, as health checking mechanism will find same problem and generate alert if the problem do not resolved. 

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, February 09, 2018 9:23 AM
  • Hi there,

I am well aware of the functionality of the Dashboard Health Monitoring System in Essentials because i am deploying Various Generations of Windows Server since the Aurora Days (SBS 2011 Essentials).

But the problem i am facing it is a 1st for me. I cannot Ignore or Delete any alert on the Dashboard.

It goes as far as executing the command (Ignore or Delete) but it never completes.

As a result i am stuck with a bunch of alerts which i cannot do nothing about.

Friday, February 09, 2018 9:28 PM
  • Hi,

As far as I know, alert data/file is store on both client(single client data) and WSE(all clients data) on below location:
    %ProgramData%\Microsoft\Windows Server\Data

As you had mentioned that , alert about specific client always display, try to delete(instead of deleting, I would recommend you to manually copy these files to another location, once problem happens after changing, you can copy them back to undo the change)ActiveAlerts.xml and ActiveAlerts.xml.backup on both client and WSE. 

Re-start both system and check the result. 

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, February 12, 2018 6:24 AM
  • Hi,

How things are going there on this issue?

Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Wednesday, February 14, 2018 6:12 AM
  • I too have just started having this issue. My server 2012 R2 has been running for several years and suddenly this week I cannot ignore or delete any alerts. I deleted the files mentioned in the data folder and restarted the server. The alerts all came back in a few minutes and I am back at the same spot. I cannot delete them and cannot ignore them. All that happens is the processing bar just sits there doing nothing. The task manager says the dashboard is running 25% but it never finished processing the request.

Ron Spitzer

This issue seems to have started with the install of .net framework 4.7. I seem to recall an issue like this previously when 4.6.1 was released.

It may just be that some parts of the dashboard are not compatible with 4.7 .net

• Edited by RonSpitzer Wednesday, February 14, 2018 6:21 PM
    Wednesday, February 14, 2018 6:13 PM
  • Hi,

I followed your guidance(copying to another location - not delete) but nothing have changed...

I am still baffled by the same frustrating behaviour....

No progress so far...still waiting for a good suggestion...       

• Edited by Wiseman Wednesday, February 14, 2018 8:07 PM
    Wednesday, February 14, 2018 8:07 PM
  • Hi,

On server, open Services, find Windows Server Essentials Health service, manually re-start it and check the result.

If problem persists, please provide relate screenshot if possible.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Thursday, February 15, 2018 6:56 AM
  • I am also getting the same problem. I get Health Monitoring Warnings which are not valid (computer not backed up in last 7 days, but have three successful backups in last 4 hours - both manual and automatic). I try to delete the alert, but progress bar never completes and Dashboard in Task Manager runs at over 90%. Have to kill the Dashboard to regain control. 

Did not notice when problem first occurred but have seen the inability to delete a Health Warning for at least the last 1-2 weeks.

I can set a warning to be Ignored with no ill effect.

Thursday, February 15, 2018 1:58 PM
  • Same issue.
    Thursday, February 15, 2018 5:40 PM
  • Hi there,

i followed your guidance once more but with no successful outcome.

Here comes the screenshot...the process stays there forever...Ignoring or deleting Alerts no Go 

Thursday, February 15, 2018 7:08 PM
  • Hi,

Open cmd and type “sfc /scannow” to check and repair system files.

If problem persists, provide me log file – Dashboard.log:
    %ProgramData%\Microsoft\Windows Server\Logs\

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Friday, February 16, 2018 8:28 AM
  • Having the same issue for about 2 or 3 months ago. I guess it came following an update. Issued the sfc/scannow command and reported errors corrected. Same issue.

Would be glad to send you the dashboard.log but I'm unable to upaload it. I add that when trying to delete the alert, Dashboard is using more than 50% CPU!

Monday, February 19, 2018 7:43 AM
  • I have now noticed the same issue has started happening on 2 entirely separate servers, on 2 unrelated networks/domains that I administer. This is clearly caused by a Windows Update. Is there a fix on the way?
    Monday, February 19, 2018 11:28 AM
  • I too have just started having this issue.  Do you know if there is a fix for this issue.
    Monday, February 19, 2018 11:51 PM
  • I too have just started having this issue. 
    Tuesday, February 20, 2018 3:20 PM
  • Same issue here, I've had this problem since 1/16/2018.

I looked at the dashboard log Eve was requesting and I see this error come up when I try to delete the stuck alert:

[9176] 180222.020203.4278: PinPoint: PinPoint query data error: 'data-ng-controller' is an unexpected token. The expected token is '='. Line 2, position 48.

The first sets of numbers before "PinPoint" will change every few minutes while the dashboard tries to process the request but the rest of the error remains the same.

Also, I manually apply updates and these are the only 3 my server received days prior to noticing the issue:

2017-12 Security Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows Server 2012 R2 for x64-based Systems (KB4054519)
    Microsoft .NET Framework 4.7.1 for Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2 for x64 (KB4033369)
    Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool for Windows 8, 8.1, 10 and Windows Server 2012, 2012 R2, 2016 x64 Edition - January 2018 (KB890830)

Hope this helps!

• Edited by DavidDbl Thursday, February 22, 2018 7:14 AM more details
    Thursday, February 22, 2018 7:02 AM
  • Hi,

@ Wiseman MOU S.A
    Is there any update?

@ all
    Please provide me the detail update name/number, relate log file, your system name and version(run “msinfo32” to check detail system info).

You can upload log file to OneDrive(https://onedrive.live.com/), share it and provide me the access link.

@DavidDbl
    Thank you for your detail sharing, please provide me more information – full log file and your system name and version(run “msinfo32” to check detail system info).

@ all
    I will test on my system and try to re-product the problem.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Thursday, February 22, 2018 9:40 AM
  • Just to prove this issue was .net 4.7 I manually removed the updates that installed it and the subsequent update to 4.7.1 and lo and behold the dashboard works again. I then reinstalled .net 4.7 and the problem is back!

Guess this needs to be sent to the MS team that looks after the dashboard to get it fixed!

It is NOT a problem in the Server 2016 Dashboard so it certainly seems that MS should look into this.

There is nothing else you can do to fix this except remove the .net 4.7 completely and do NOT reinstall t until the issue is fixed.

Ron Spitzer

Thursday, February 22, 2018 5:07 PM
  • My Progress on this zero.

Did the scannow command. Fix errors ok but no change regarding the Dashboard Problem....

My logfile come as follows:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!An9MisH522cUg-pog6Li6KaTxXLxHA

At your disposal for any clarifications...

Thursday, February 22, 2018 5:13 PM
  • What KB is related to .net 4.7
    Thursday, February 22, 2018 5:55 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your detail information, and if there is any new about my test, I will post here and let you know as soon as possible.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Friday, February 23, 2018 9:24 AM
  • Same issue over here. Following this thread.
    Monday, February 26, 2018 1:13 AM
  • To get around this issue, 

Go Services (Windows key + R) 

Type services.msc

Find the Windows Server Essential Health Service from the list of services

right click on the service and click restart 

After you restart the service, you'll be able to ignore and delete the alert 

Cheers

• Edited by Joutiar Tuesday, February 27, 2018 7:38 PM
    Tuesday, February 27, 2018 7:37 PM
  • Even after fully rebooting or shutdown of the server, the issue persists.
    Tuesday, February 27, 2018 7:39 PM
  • This worked for me. It must be redone for each message you wish to delete. Leave the Health Monitoring messages up and running. Then go to services and stop and start the Windows Server Essential Health Service

You can then delete one message. 

Repeat the service stop and start and delete the next message, and so on.

Thanks Joutiar

Thursday, March 01, 2018 7:34 AM
  • Although this does allow you to remove or ignore the alerts it should not be considered a fix. MS needs to patch the module - Health service? - or whatever is causing it and fix it permanently.

Ron Spitzer

Thursday, March 01, 2018 3:44 PM
  • Maybe you can try this until MS produces the patch. At least it works on my server.

1st. Ignore the alert; it doesn't work as we all know

2nd. Cancel the action

3rd Delete the alert and, tadaaa, it works.

Of course it's not a solution but in my situation I'm able to clean the alerts. Maybe it can give a clue to the MS genius to find a patch.

Friday, March 02, 2018 6:07 AM
  • Same issue here. Using MadCat1752 fix....

Friday, March 23, 2018 9:28 PM
  • Newly Installed Windows Server 2012R2 Essentials on HP MicroServer-Gen8 exhibits the following behaviour: 

Whenever an alert is popping up on the Dashboard i cannot Ignore it or Deleted it. An example could be that i cannot ignore the Critical Warning for Low hard drive Disk Space on one of my Clients PCs.

I am right clicking on the Specific Alert and click Ignore or Delete. I am getting the Warning that the alerts will pop up again even if i ignore it. I am clicking yes to proceed and i am only getting the green bar that it indicates that it is processing the command but it never completes for hours at a time.

Same issues here, Madcat WORK AROUND (Not Answer/Solution) has gotten me around it temporarily but this needs to get fixed properly.

Saturday, April 07, 2018 6:24 PM
  • Same issue here on all the Essentials servers I admin, really irritating, would love to see this properly fixed.  Been this way for a couple months.
    Wednesday, April 18, 2018 7:14 PM
  • I have this problem also, on 4 servers. Is there still not resolution?

• Edited by dmpacheco Monday, April 23, 2018 8:14 PM
    Monday, April 23, 2018 8:13 PM
  • I'm experiencing the same issue today on a new Windows Server 2016 Essentials. I can't believe the issue is still around after all this time.
    Friday, May 11, 2018 12:30 AM
  • Wonderful of Microsoft to propagate a problem from server 2012 R2 to Server 2016. I have 3 servers with this problem after this week's update. Great! Come on MS, Fix This!

Ron Spitzer

Friday, May 11, 2018 3:38 PM
  • Also having this since May Update on my Server Essentials 2016. Please provide a fix.
    Saturday, May 12, 2018 5:04 PM
  • My 2 cents: same issue on new Windows Server 2016 Essentials machine (HPE Proliant). Only I don't have any .NET installed and the issue still exists. Microsoft needs to provide a fix.
    Monday, May 14, 2018 7:46 PM
  • Same problem here.  This is a BRAND NEW Windows Server 2016 Standard VM that is only used for the Windows Server Essentials Experience (role) to manage Office 365 mailboxes.  What a joke.  Come on Microsoft, this is embarrassing...
    Monday, May 21, 2018 3:33 PM
  • I also experience this issue on a WSE 2016 physical server.  I have removed and blocked .NET beyond 4.6.0 (defualt).  I have searched exhaustively for any solution - and this thread appears to be the first result. 

I can delete events, but only with restarting the health service in-between each attempt.  If I try to do it without, the dashboard CPU use will rise until 99% CPU utilization and stall/hang.   Other management items in the dashboard also seem to make CPU usage very high - but not like any health monitoring task. 

This is really discouraging. 

edit:

I found these recent threads as well in the partner support portal: 

https://partnersupport.microsoft.com/en-us/par_servplat/forum/par_winserv/server-essentials-cannot-delete-alert/ddfc1391-d5a1-474c-88ed-8ca4b32080b5

https://partnersupport.microsoft.com/en-us/par_servplat/forum/par_winserv/cannot-ignore-dashboard-alert-on-essentials-2012/8869377d-1fed-4e19-b300-1d9bf38501d7

• Edited by revere521 Monday, May 21, 2018 8:14 PM added links
    Monday, May 21, 2018 4:21 PM
  • I create a case ticket with Essentials support team.

Thursday, May 24, 2018 8:31 PM
  • Same problem and it's Server 2016 Essentials.  Stopping the Service, then trying to delete or ignore, it's starts the slow crawl across the screen which you know will never end, but then if i hit the X to close it and try again it will delete, rinse, repeat. 

So even 2016 affected

Thursday, May 24, 2018 11:12 PM
  • Same issue on my customers machines. Server 2012 R2 AND Server 2016. I not going to screw around with all the .Net "fixes". Hopefully Microsoft will fix this issue soon. 
    Friday, May 25, 2018 2:01 PM
  • I noticed that if I left click on the item first and then right click on it that it would allow me to either ignore or delete most of the time. Sometimes I had to restart the dashboard though... sometimes I had to click cancel when it was stuck and do it again but I eventually was able to delete all of my messages.
    Friday, May 25, 2018 10:01 PM
  • Any word on a fix, this is driving us crazy. We have the error on ALL of our servers now.
    Sunday, May 27, 2018 5:32 PM
  • Same problem here - please MS, fix this...
    Wednesday, May 30, 2018 6:13 AM
  • Same problem, been kicking around for months and had figured it was down to poor hardware... nice to know we're not alone!

Neither the 'ignore -> delete' or restart service workarounds are working for me - 2012 R2 Essentials.

• Edited by Todd Olive Wednesday, May 30, 2018 10:36 AM
    Wednesday, May 30, 2018 10:34 AM
  • I also have the problem on a new Essentials 2016 server. I also noticed the green bar that never goes away and CPU spiking when I click on the "Refresh" link in Health Monitoring.

And the CPU remains spiked even after killing the action (by clicking on the "X" in the upper right of the dialog box.

Does anyone else notice this?

Friday, June 01, 2018 5:22 AM
  • @eclayes: Yes exact same behaviour here... Server 2016 Essentials, only killing dashboard with taskmanager brings CPU down to normal for us.
    Monday, June 04, 2018 6:49 AM
  • Same issue here on Server 2016 Standard with Essentials Role installed.

Restarting the service doesn't do anything either so I am stuck with the current alerts.

Monday, June 04, 2018 2:18 PM
  • Has anyone seen a difference with recent updates, or heard anything from MS?
    Friday, June 15, 2018 6:15 PM
  • Same problem.  Really annoying when problems are created that previously did not exist.  Awaiting a fix.  I have been since .net update.
    Thursday, June 28, 2018 1:28 AM
  • Its not a fix, but stopping the Windows Server Essentials Health Service and then renaming:

%ProgramData%\Microsoft\Windows Server\Data\ActiveAlerts.xml

And then restarting the service will clear the list, and then it will repopulate with only current warnings that you can't do anything to update from the console.

If you do delete any active alerts at the client side after stopping the service and deleting the same file on the client, they will clear off the server console.

• Edited by nessusus Saturday, June 30, 2018 7:28 PM
    Saturday, June 30, 2018 7:19 PM
  • Me too on multiple Server 2016 Essentials boxes.

Wow. And four months later... not a useful word from MS about a solution to a problem of their own creation. Can I have a job at MS? I bet I can do nothing remotely useful or productive for far less money...

Tuesday, July 03, 2018 7:52 PM
  • Next patchday and still no solution - are you serious MS?

Or did I miss that the support for Server 2016 Essentials ended?

Get this problem fixed!

Thursday, July 12, 2018 10:30 AM
  • Still no fix. Still no useful reaction from Microsoft. Hello, anyone out there?
    Tuesday, July 17, 2018 7:23 PM
  • Same Problem here. The Workaround (stop and Start the service) helps but MS needs to fix this ASAP. Lets keep this up as the first thread.

Jan

Friday, July 20, 2018 7:41 AM
  • Same issue here.
    Wednesday, July 25, 2018 10:13 PM
  • I'm experiencing the same issue. Windows Server 2016 Standard with the Server Essentials Role installed. When attempting to Ignore/Delete any alerts, the Dashboard.exe process max's out the CPU to 100%.

In %programdata%\Microsoft\Windows Server\Data, I have

ActiveAlerts.xml

ActiveAlerts.xml.backup

DevicesInfo.xml

DevicesInfo.xml.backup

HealthScheduler.xml

HealthScheduler.xml.backup

Seems like it's creating a backup file everyday.

EventViewer > Application Hang > Event ID 1002

The program Dashboard.exe version 10.0.14393.0 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Security and Maintenance control panel.
     Process ID: 3310
     Start Time: 01d424c47a34965c
     Termination Time: 4294967295
     Application Path: C:\Windows\System32\Essentials\Dashboard.exe
     Report Id: b1ff7526-90b8-11e8-b7e0-6c0b84a7a002
     Faulting package full name: 
     Faulting package-relative application ID: 

Fault bucket , type 0
    Event Name: AppHangB1
    Response: Not available
    Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
    P1: Dashboard.exe
    P2: 10.0.14393.0
    P3: 578994f3
    P4: 7a85
    P5: 67246336

• Edited by Nilz76 Thursday, July 26, 2018 10:21 AM
    Thursday, July 26, 2018 10:12 AM
  • This situation is outrageous. Problem was reported in February and for last 6 month there is no solution. MS you are taking money for SERVER GRADE OS and providing such crap support? Do you even know what is causing problems? This stuff is installed on companies servers and is used to run their businesses. I wonder how many other, more critical bugs are in OS you charged me for. If you are not competent enough to release working OS.... just leave. I hope some of your big customers loose a lot of money due to this crappy attitude and sue you because this way of treating customers is unacceptable.
    Tuesday, August 07, 2018 7:13 PM
  • Just got the same issue, fresh install of Server Essentials 2016 :(
    Tuesday, August 07, 2018 11:55 PM
  • Just like to add that I am still having this issue too. Microsoft please for the love of god fix your own product!!!
    Wednesday, August 08, 2018 4:06 PM
  • Same issue on my Server Essentials 2016.   Work around noted above works so far if you start & stop service to delete/ignore each alert.
    Thursday, August 16, 2018 8:26 PM
  • Is there any update to this? 

Six months of working a back-door process to delete simple alerts is getting a little nuts. I'm all for giving MS time to find, diagnose, roadmap, and repair a problem but we're not building a lunar lander here... 

Your own users identified the issue, we're just asking you to code the fix. Please. 

Friday, August 24, 2018 2:50 PM
  • Having the same issue on every server I manage. Now we are seeing issues with remote access. Is anyone else having remote access issues as well?
    Friday, August 24, 2018 9:47 PM
  • Hi,

same issue with 2 brand new install of  Server Essentials 2016 :(

Lucky we will be if MS solve the problem for essentials 2020 !

Wednesday, September 05, 2018 7:28 AM
  • Eve,

can you (ord someone else) provide any progress or update on this annoying issue?

Wednesday, September 05, 2018 1:00 PM
  • Same Issue on New Windows Server 2016.

To Microsoft, maybe you should just abadon the Essential part in Windows Server 2016 Standard if you are not willing to support it.

Thursday, September 13, 2018 8:32 PM
  • I've been dealing with this for months now.  This is, as per usual, a crappy update that was released without proper testing.  It's completely ridiculous that it's been this long and has not acknowledge nor addressed by MS and now it appears that even Eve has abandoned the issue.

I'm running 2016 Essentials and my system no longer shows KB4103720, 4103723, or any .net 4.7 installs/updates that was thought to be the culprit.  I found long ago that restarting the Health Service would allow you to ignore or delete one item, but that only seems to work twice before you have to restart the dashboard.  

At least try to fix the issue.  Lie to us, something.  Silence only enrages us.

Friday, September 14, 2018 2:02 AM
  • Dear Microsoft,

are you fu***** kidding us?

Still no solution with the latest cumulative update?

Get your job done or ask someone to do it for you if you are not able to fix your own product.

Wednesday, September 19, 2018 10:48 AM