none
Question on migrating/rebuilding VM from virtual HDD RRS feed

• Question

• I have a server 2016 standard Hyper-V host.

Down the road, we might change the RAID configuration, which would require reloading the host.

I'll have a VM running SharePoint and another running Skype for Business 2015 and both will be domain members.

Will there be any AD issues attaching the virtual HDD to a new virtual machine if I reload the host? Other than resetting the IP of the VM? Would there be enough changes that would break the connection to the domain/those programs?

If needed, any issues with migrating the VM to another box while the original host is reloaded and then moved back?

Thanks!

Monday, May 13, 2019 6:03 PM

All replies

• Should not be an issue. Just export the VMs, do the rebuild, patch fully, add Hyper-V role, import the VMs

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Monday, May 13, 2019 6:19 PM
  • No, there should be no issues. Once your Hyper-V Host is up and running, import the existing VM's, this way all VM configuration will stay the same (VM Generation, CPU, Memory, etc.).

[If a post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" of that post or click Answered "Vote as helpful" button of that post. By marking a post as Answered or Helpful, you help others find the answer faster. ]

Monday, May 13, 2019 6:23 PM
  • Thanks for the reply

Using this article, could you please explain the 3 import options for VM and which one would be best for my situation?

1. Register the virtual machine in-place (using existing unique ID)
    2. Restore the virtual machine (using existing unique ID)
    3. Copy the virtual machine (create new unique ID)

Thanks!

Monday, May 13, 2019 6:50 PM
  • I'd recommend using the Copy option.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/virtualization/hyper-v/deploy/export-and-import-virtual-machines

(please don't forget to mark helpful replies as answer)

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Monday, May 13, 2019 6:55 PM
  • Hi,

I agree with Dave.

There is a detailed guide for you,please refer to it.

https://techjourney.net/how-to-clone-vm-virtual-machine-in-hyper-v/

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.
    Best Regards,

Frank

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, May 14, 2019 3:23 AM

• Hi,
    Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Frank

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, May 16, 2019 6:15 AM
  • Hi,

Just check the situation about your issue.

Best Regards,
    Frank

Monday, May 20, 2019 8:43 AM