none
Error 440 - automation error when trying to compare projects RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all:

I am using MS Project Professional 2007 and I am trying to compare projects.  Each project file is 6 megs.  The compare seems to run fine until the following error appears:

Run-time error '1101': The argument value is not valid.

I click on OK and the next error appears:

Run-time error '440': Automation error

I click on OK and the next error appears:

An error occurred in the COM Add-in named: Compare Project Versions

Error #:440

Automation error

Please restart Microsoft Office Project to restart the COM Add-in.

Then the application locks up.  I have restarted project, re-added the add-in, and re-installed MS project several times.  Nothing seems to work.  I have seen others with this problem and no definitive solutions.  Please help as I need to get through this project for a presentation and the idea of manually comparing 2000 lines makes my head hurt.

Thank you.

Tuesday, November 29, 2011 8:41 PM

Answers

• John:

I got my presentation together and then downloaded MS-Project 2010.  The compare runs perfectly and actually the upgrade is pretty cool.  One question, is there any way to tell the compare what to compare?  Is that controlled by the type of table you are using?  For example, I am using the entry table to do the compare and it's picking up everything but the forecast dates.  I need it to pick up this column because there were a lot of date changes this time around.

Do I need to create a new temporary table and feed the compare from that?  Direction would be appreciated.

Thanks,

-Virginia

• Marked as answer by bvfcohen Friday, December 9, 2011 3:58 PM
    Tuesday, December 6, 2011 11:08 PM
  • "Yes Virginia, there really is a Santa Claus",

Oops, wrong forum.

Yes, modify the view table to hide those fields you do not need and add those you do. Instead of modifying an existing table (e.g. Entry), you should consider creating your own custom view table.

Hope this helps.

John

Wednesday, December 7, 2011 3:43 PM

All replies

• bvfcohen,

Unfortunately the Compare Project versions utility has had functional problems since its introduction in Project 2000 (if I remember correctly). Those issues remained through Project 2007. The good news is that the utility has been re-written for Project 2010 and now seems to work fine.

I don't know if the latest service pack for Project 2007 fixed the Compare utility but you could install and try it. You'll find the latest updates at, http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/office/ee748587. If the update does NOT fix the utility then your options are very limited. You could try running the compare in reverse (i.e. instead of comparing the new version to the old version, compare the old version to the new version). In some cases that may work.

If there is any way you can get your hands on Project 2010 (maybe the trial version or another project user who has upgraded), you could try that but you have to be careful because there have been compatibility issues between Project 2010 and previous versions. I think most of the problems have been resolved with the latest updates but I won't guarantee it.

One other option if you are willing. I have a compare macro that I wrote myself several years ago. If you have a one time presentation and would be able to send me the files I could run a compare and send the files back. You can contact me at the address below. I will ask some questions.

John

jensenljatatfastmaildotdotfm

(remove obvious redundancies)

Note: the 7th character is an alpha

Tuesday, November 29, 2011 8:59 PM
  • John:

It figures.... it's just been that kind of &^%$#!! technology/project day.  I am running the compare in reverse.  If that doesn't work and it doesn't seem like it will since it's stuck on task 88, I have all ready created a restore point and will install the latest package which I do not have (oddly enough).  I can download a trial of 2010 but am wary because of the compatibility versions.

If nothing above works, I will send you the files.  Thanks for your prompt response.

Tuesday, November 29, 2011 9:28 PM
  • bvfcohen,

Okay, I'll stay tuned. Let us know what you find.

John

Tuesday, November 29, 2011 11:21 PM
  • Wow, that was a huge tease.  My fully patched machine ran the comparison just fine until it tried to write the results into a new project file.  Then it crashed.  I adjusted the security under options, still no go.  That's interesting though; why would it go through two 2,000 line projects without a glitch (I watched the progress at the bottom of the screen) and then crash?  Certainly not a resource problem; I rebooted my machine and it was the only process running.

As much as I would like to take you up on your offer of you running the compare; I can't.  Thanks for the offer though.  NDA with the client; I am sure you understand.  I'll just go through it manually tonight.

Thanks,

-Virginia

Wednesday, November 30, 2011 12:49 AM
  • I can tell you that the number of lines/size has something to do with the issue.  I starting chopping up the project into more manageable pieces; for example the first section of the project plan is 812 lines.  The compare ran just fine but you still have to close down the application and start it up again because it locks up after it writes to the new project file.  At least I am making progress.  :D
    Wednesday, November 30, 2011 1:26 AM
  • John:

I got my presentation together and then downloaded MS-Project 2010.  The compare runs perfectly and actually the upgrade is pretty cool.  One question, is there any way to tell the compare what to compare?  Is that controlled by the type of table you are using?  For example, I am using the entry table to do the compare and it's picking up everything but the forecast dates.  I need it to pick up this column because there were a lot of date changes this time around.

Do I need to create a new temporary table and feed the compare from that?  Direction would be appreciated.

Thanks,

-Virginia

Tuesday, December 6, 2011 11:08 PM
  • "Yes Virginia, there really is a Santa Claus",

Oops, wrong forum.

Yes, modify the view table to hide those fields you do not need and add those you do. Instead of modifying an existing table (e.g. Entry), you should consider creating your own custom view table.

Hope this helps.

John

Wednesday, December 7, 2011 3:43 PM
  • Gee, imagine how many times I have heard that in my life!  :)

Hmmm, I wonder what forum that would go under?

OK, that's what I thought.  I'll continue mucking around then.. helps a lot John, thanks!

Have a good holiday!

-Virginia

Friday, December 9, 2011 3:57 PM
  • Virginia,

Sorry about the comment. I guess it's like asking someone who's tall, "how's the weather up there?"

Anyway, you're welcome and thanks for the feedback.

John

Friday, December 9, 2011 5:36 PM