none
Sharepoint 2010 Change User profile Service Account from NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE to my Service Account

Question

• Hi All,

currently when i am trying to start User Profile Synchronization Service I am not able to change the account from NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE to my Service Account so i couldn't start. please help me how i can change the account.

Thanks and Regards

Er.Pradipta Nayak
    Visit my Blog
    Xchanging

Tuesday, December 22, 2015 10:11 AM

Answers

• UPSS requires that the service be run by the Farm Admin account (the account running owstimer.exe) as there is an explicit check to validate that the UPSS is running under the context of this account during provisioning. If you want to change what the UPSS runs as, you'll need to change the Farm admin account. See https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc262150(v=office.12).aspx for information on how to change the Farm Admin account.

Trevor Seward

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Monday, December 28, 2015 3:55 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Is the NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE a farm account?

If yes, you are unable to change the user profile synchronization service account. The user Profile Sync service must be run in the context of the farm account.

More information for your reference:

https://guidesharepoint.wordpress.com/2014/05/19/how-to-change-account-for-user-profile-synchronization-service/

If not, you can change the user profile synchronization service account to a farm account in CA > Security > Configure service accounts. Make sure the account you want to change to is the Local Administrator and have log on locally user rights on the server.

More detailed steps about how to change it for your reference:

http://community.bamboosolutions.com/blogs/sharepoint-2010/archive/2014/01/13/how-to-start-user-profile-synchronization-service-in-sharepoint-2010.aspx

Thanks,

Dean Wang

TechNet Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, December 23, 2015 9:51 AM
  • thanks Dean ,

i have not created the Service Account (Farm). after that i am able to see the Service account instead the  NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE. However after clicking Start the Service it got stuck with Status 'Starting'.

Thanks and Regards

Er.Pradipta Nayak
    Visit my Blog
    Xchanging

Wednesday, December 23, 2015 12:00 PM
  • Hi,

Please do the following steps to try to resolve the issue.

1. Stop the User Profile Synchronization Service using PowerShell.

2. Add the service account to Local Admin group on the server, all the FIM groups and the WSS_WSP and WSS_Admin_WPG group in IIS.

3. Create a new User Profile Synchronization Service Application

Detailed steps about how to achieve it for your reference:

http://myspexp.com/2011/04/28/user-profile-synchronization-servicehangs-on-starting-i-fixed-it/

If the issue still occurs after you re-start the user profile synchronization service, please provide more detailed error messages in ULS logs.

An even better way to get the real SharePoint error from the ULS logs:

http://habaneroconsulting.com/insights/An-Even-Better-Way-to-Get-the-Real-SharePoint-Error#.VT7uonkcQ5d

Thanks,

Dean Wang

TechNet Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, December 24, 2015 7:04 AM
  • Thanks Dean for your reply,

I follow all the step menitoned however i am facing same issue. I am not able to send the whole log file so add the frequently getting errors.

12/28/2015 16:16:00.91 OWSTIMER.EXE (0x0704) 0x09FC SharePoint Portal Server User Profiles g11n High UserProfileApplicationProxy.InitializePropertyCache: Microsoft.Office.Server.UserProfiles.UserProfileException: System.ServiceModel.Security.SecurityAccessDeniedException 

12/28/2015 16:16:00.91 OWSTIMER.EXE (0x0704) 0x09FC SharePoint Portal Server User Profiles hyc6 High Exception occured while connecting to WCF endpoint: System.ServiceModel.Security.SecurityAccessDeniedException: Access is denied.    Server stack trace:  

Thanks and Regards

Er.Pradipta Nayak
    Visit my Blog
    Xchanging

Monday, December 28, 2015 11:10 AM
  • :) It Work for me i just change the Log In Account for my SharePoint 2010 Timer service to the Service account and it work. thanks a lot.

Thanks and Regards

Er.Pradipta Nayak
    Visit my Blog
    Xchanging

Monday, December 28, 2015 11:19 AM
  • Hi Dean,

while Running Full Sync i am getting below error do you have any idea ?

Profile sync step <connectionName> (stage ActiveDirectoryFullImport) failed: System.InvalidOperationException: stopped-connectivity 
        at Microsoft.Office.Server.UserProfiles.FimStep.Execute() 
        at Microsoft.Office.Server.UserProfiles.UserProfileImportJob.SyncJobStep.<StartExecution>b__9(Object state).

Thanks and Regards

Er.Pradipta Nayak
    Visit my Blog
    Xchanging

Monday, December 28, 2015 12:40 PM
  • I think this due to i don't have Replicating Directory Changes permission :(.

Thanks and Regards

Er.Pradipta Nayak
    Visit my Blog
    Xchanging

Monday, December 28, 2015 12:55 PM
  • UPSS requires that the service be run by the Farm Admin account (the account running owstimer.exe) as there is an explicit check to validate that the UPSS is running under the context of this account during provisioning. If you want to change what the UPSS runs as, you'll need to change the Farm admin account. See https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc262150(v=office.12).aspx for information on how to change the Farm Admin account.

Trevor Seward

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Monday, December 28, 2015 3:55 PM