none
Payment Milestones and Cashflow Reports RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

as far as I see are all the money involving elements in MS Project related to costs - of ressources, material, etc.

In customer projects I also have payment milestones, initial downpayment, after shipment, after final acceptance. This means "money in". How can I display these value streams in MS Project? I would like to show a report with total cash flow (not only out, also in), and without exporting dates to Excel. All what I achieved at the moment is to have wonderful cash flow reports displaying "outgoing" money.

Any suggestions how to do that?

Thank you

Friday, June 7, 2013 8:07 AM

All replies

• Project really is not a cost accounting program.  As you have noted, Project is very good at calculating project costs.  The closest I can recommend is the record the 'cash in' through fixed costs against the milestones.  You cash flow out through resource and material costs could be offset through negative values in the Fixed Cost field.
    • Proposed as answer by John Hansleyton Saturday, September 5, 2015 3:36 PM
    Friday, June 7, 2013 12:52 PM
  • MSP accepts negative fixed costs, so you can model your progress payments as -$.

Costs and expenses are positive numbers in MSP, so progress payments and revenue are negative.

When you run the cash flow reports in MSP you get net cash flow.

Saturday, June 8, 2013 10:16 AM
  • It would be great if MS Project took this thread as an input, together with incentives/penalties topic from this other thread https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/projectserver/en-US/4be14fb5-5dde-41a0-9df0-a370cd3882a1/how-to-add-track-incentivepenalty-costs-in-project-20102013?forum=projectprofessional2010general

Project management is more aligned with core business when it can better help in business decisions.

What projects' milestones' incentives/penalties should be prioritized?

Is it a progress payment milestone? How does it compare with other projects' milestones?

What milestones should I renegotiate with what customers? How much money is involved? How far are payment dates from today?

Regards

Saturday, September 5, 2015 2:50 PM