App-V client reporting and alerting RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a large number of Windows 7 PC's which have Microsoft App-V 5.1 client installed.

As part of an SLA, I need to report upon the availability of some critical App-V delivered apps from some specific test workstations.

The way I am thinking is to have a synthetic agent launch the application from the Windows 7 workstation, and capture the success or failure of launching the actual application, eg SAP Gui via App-v.

This would then be fed back to a central repository which would alert on failure and be able to produce monthly reports to demonstrate whether the SLA is met/breached, and put some detail around the reason for the test failing.

The success is being able to "see" the SAP logon pad has successfully launched, not just that the App-V client connected successfully.

I have looked at the App-V reporting module which achieves some of this, but I am looking for a product that does this in an automated enterprise way from a PC.

Anyone have any insight or product details they can share? 

Thursday, June 23, 2016 11:31 AM

All replies

• Is that SLA from an AppV backend point of view, or from the client point of view?
    The availability of appv packages is different then running them on a client. They can fail to run for many kinds of specific reasons. Also just launching the SAP exe successfully does not mean the application works 100%, how are you going to cover all those steps?

Do you not have any kind of packaging / testing phase/process? Whenever an appv package is tested successfully, and is ready for production it should keep running until something drastically changes. Why testing on a monthly basis (windows updates??)?

If you still need this, I would not rely on the reporting data, although it's possible, you're already creating some kind of script to run those business critical app-v apps automatically. Why not add some intelligence to capture the output and write it back to some logfile /database?

Roy Essers

Saturday, June 25, 2016 11:08 PM