Publishing Offllineclient components RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

I am publishing the offlineclient components in UAG using the process mentioned in the technet article. The component are getting published but when i try to install the component i am getting error "The installer package could not be opened. Contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid windows installer package."

Anybody has idea how to solve this issue?

Tuesday, December 14, 2010 1:28 PM

Answers

• Hi Ashish,

We are aware of an issue where that causes the MSI file to get dfownloaded corrupted, when using the UAG portal toolbar button to launch this download.

You have several options to work around this:

1.     Distribute the relevant MSI to your end users through other means, independent of the UAG portal

2.     Place the relevant MSI on another IIS server, and publish that server as a Web application on the UAG portal, in order to allow access to that location

3.     Or, finally, add an Other Web Application (portal hostname) to your trunk, pointing it to the specific MSI file that you wish your end users to download. In order to do this, follow these steps:

a.     Add an Other Web Application (portal hostname) to your trunk

b.     Web Servers address: localhost

c.     Paths: /secure[trunk_name]portalhomepage/ . (for example: if your trunk is named Portal: /secureportalportalhomepage/)

d.     Ports: HTTP Port: 6001, HTTPS port: remove the default 443 and leave it empty

e.     Portal Link Application URL: http://localhost/secure[trunk_name]portalhomepage/[name_of_MSI_file].msi (for example, if your trunk is named Portal and you want your end-users to download the Basic MSI file: http://localhost/secureportalportalhomepage/WhlClientSetup-Basic.msi

f.     IMPORTANT! After you add the application to the portal trunk, be sure to move it up in the list of applications in the trunk, by using the arrow keys, and place it above the Portal application.

g.     Activate and test

HTH,

-Ran
    • Marked as answer by Ashish Vaidya Tuesday, December 14, 2010 10:10 PM
    Tuesday, December 14, 2010 3:43 PM

All replies

• Hi Ashish,

We are aware of an issue where that causes the MSI file to get dfownloaded corrupted, when using the UAG portal toolbar button to launch this download.

You have several options to work around this:

1.     Distribute the relevant MSI to your end users through other means, independent of the UAG portal

2.     Place the relevant MSI on another IIS server, and publish that server as a Web application on the UAG portal, in order to allow access to that location

3.     Or, finally, add an Other Web Application (portal hostname) to your trunk, pointing it to the specific MSI file that you wish your end users to download. In order to do this, follow these steps:

a.     Add an Other Web Application (portal hostname) to your trunk

b.     Web Servers address: localhost

c.     Paths: /secure[trunk_name]portalhomepage/ . (for example: if your trunk is named Portal: /secureportalportalhomepage/)

d.     Ports: HTTP Port: 6001, HTTPS port: remove the default 443 and leave it empty

e.     Portal Link Application URL: http://localhost/secure[trunk_name]portalhomepage/[name_of_MSI_file].msi (for example, if your trunk is named Portal and you want your end-users to download the Basic MSI file: http://localhost/secureportalportalhomepage/WhlClientSetup-Basic.msi

f.     IMPORTANT! After you add the application to the portal trunk, be sure to move it up in the list of applications in the trunk, by using the arrow keys, and place it above the Portal application.

g.     Activate and test

HTH,

-Ran
    • Marked as answer by Ashish Vaidya Tuesday, December 14, 2010 10:10 PM
    Tuesday, December 14, 2010 3:43 PM
  • It should be http://localhost:6001/secure[trunk_name]portalhomepage/[name_of_MSI_file].msi 

You're very correct, Ashish, I did miss the :6001 part of the portal URL. Thanks!

But actually there is yet another option, in addition to the ones I mentioned before, and I think this one is the easiest: do follow the instructions of the TechNet article Enabling the offline client components installer, which guides you how to add an installer button to your portal toolbar. However, after step 3 in this article, which asks you to un-comment a specific <siteMapNode> section from your CustomUpdate version of the web.sitemap file, you need to change the siteMapNode URL to specifically point to any one of the five MSI files available in the PortalHomePage folder, according to your needs.

For example, if you wish your users to download the Basic MSI file, the end result should look like this:

<siteMapNode url="~/WhlClientSetup-Basic.msi"

title="$Resources:Resource, 114"

description="$Resources:Resource, 114" 

imageUrl="~/images/ToolBar/offlineInstallation.gif"

DisplayMode="OnlyImage"

target="_blank" />

Regards,

-Ran
    Wednesday, December 15, 2010 10:26 AM
  • Ran,

I do have one question regarding using of 6001 port as i have seen issues in some of the other application not working properly if we use 6001 port.

Wednesday, December 15, 2010 8:58 PM