Grant Access to a Application by Computer Objects instead of a User Objects RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

I work for a K-12 Public School and need to grant access to applications to one room (lab) of computers.  The labs are occupied by multiple students throughout the day, so specfing a group of users would be impossible, because the applications would be available in all the rooms.  I've created an Active Directory Security Group and added the computer objects to it, but they are not available on the client. 

Is there a way to make applications availablet to specfic groups of computers?

Thanks!

Thursday, February 17, 2011 7:22 PM

Answers

• Hello,

An application Virtualization management server does not have the possibility to distribute to a computer object.

Use SCCM or Standalone method to resolve that. 

/Znack
    • Marked as answer by kconero Monday, February 21, 2011 11:30 PM
    Friday, February 18, 2011 2:21 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Not really sure how you are distributing applications, but two infrastructures out of four offers per-machine targeting. See the planning and design whitepaper;

http://download.microsoft.com/download/5/b/c/5bc966bc-47d8-41df-95f2-fa9a2d816258/Microsoft%20Application%20Virtualization%204.5.zip

/Znack
    Thursday, February 17, 2011 7:26 PM
  • Hello,

Thanks for the link.  Unfortunately, I cannot find how to target computers using the streaming method in this document.  On the management server, I add a computer object under access permissions and the applications are not available.  When I add user accounts, the applications are available.  Is there another method I should be using?

Thanks

Friday, February 18, 2011 2:20 PM
  • Hello,

An application Virtualization management server does not have the possibility to distribute to a computer object.

Use SCCM or Standalone method to resolve that. 

/Znack
    • Marked as answer by kconero Monday, February 21, 2011 11:30 PM
    Friday, February 18, 2011 2:21 PM
  • Hello,

The Streaming Server and the Management Server are all on the same computer.  Is there a way that the application can be made available to a specfic client using the streaming method and without using SCCM?

Thansks...

Friday, February 18, 2011 5:11 PM
  • Take a look at AppV_DeployNPublishApp: http://www.tmurgent.com/AppV_DeployNPublishApp/. I'm not sure if you can stream from the Management Server with authorisation, so you may need to ensure you source is the Streaming Server only.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.
    Friday, February 18, 2011 6:21 PM
  • The stand alone method takes the streaming server out of the equation.  You essentially give a local machine a command line to download the entire OSD file and load it.  This file can come from a standard network share and no APP-V server components are installed.  Then that computer has it for all users and it never moves around. 

The down side is that you have to pre-load every software package you want on that computer rather than just the minimal starting block that the streaming server allows.  I cannot fathom what Microsoft was thinking by making a per-user deployment system when 90% or more of software is licensed by computer installation.  I'm pretty sure it would be illeagal to use almost all of our software using APP-V if we deployed via user. 

I'm only considering it because the Symantec Workspace Virtulalization method is too unstable and prone to causing blue screens and profile corruption.  I was hoping to utilize the streaming method for very fast deployment, but it doesn't seem possible.

• Proposed as answer by Mike Plichta Wednesday, October 26, 2011 3:36 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Mike Plichta Wednesday, October 26, 2011 3:39 PM
    Wednesday, October 26, 2011 3:36 PM
  • Hmm, I just had a thought.  Suppose you configure your client to not have a publishing server.  Then you just use command lines to import the osd files that you want.  In this scenerio, you should get the streaming capibility without having the application roam around.  You'd need a seperate management tool like Altiris or SCCM to run the install commands, but it would be possible.  I'll write back as I test this environment.
    Wednesday, October 26, 2011 3:45 PM
  • As desktop and application deployment moves toward user-centric, this solution makes more sense - the application developers just need to catch up.

Even if the client is is stand-alone mode, you can still use streaming - either from RTSP (using the Streaming Server) or HTTP or SMB.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.
    Wednesday, October 26, 2011 3:52 PM
  • The command is sfttray /load "pathOfOSDFile\app.osd". 

However, this command loads the app in it's entirety and doesn't take advantage of streaming.  The documentation says you can specify an sft file which will make it do an import rather than a load.  But in testing, it just loaded the file entirely anyway and ignored the /sftfile parameter. 

I've tried several variations on specifying the sft file and none work.

sfttray /load "pathOfOSDFile\app.osd" /sftfile "pathOfSFTFile\app.sft"

sfttray /load "pathOfOSDFile\app.osd" /sftfile "file://pathOfSFTFile\app.sft"

sfttray /load "pathOfOSDFile\app.osd" /sftfile file://"pathOfSFTFile\app.sft"

I then tried using the msi file to install.  This method is good if you don't want the user to see the "loading" progress bar that using sfttray does.  However, I have been unable to find a switch that does an import rather than a full load. 

Wednesday, October 26, 2011 4:25 PM
  • I have been unable to find a switch that does an import rather than a full load. 

SFTMIME ADD PACKAGE will import the package without loading the SFT file into the cache

Tuesday, November 1, 2011 9:14 AM
  • I've done up a pretty comprehensive powershell script for this:

http://andrewmorgan.ie/2011/10/03/automating-microsoft-app-v-lightweight-streaming-services-with-powershell/

Monday, November 7, 2011 8:40 AM