none
Importing data using Excel RRS feed

  • Question

  • I'm using Project Standard 2010 and importing tasks; I've had several problems and troubleshooting found that reordering the columns in the excel file corrected Duration and Start Date not importing. There is still a problem with the data that is imported, several tasks have an estimated duration with no start date, and the data imported is from the line above. I've tried entering a "1?" in duration but still just gives me one day and start date of preceding task. Is there a way to correct this?

    Second issue that I'm having is that the Percent_Complete is not importing, when I look at data in Import wizard it is correct, but when imported the % Complete field is 0%; I've tried using .50, 50, 1 & 100 but none seem to make any effect. The Percent Complete Column is currently the last column in the spread sheet, how do I get this information to import properly?

    The last task I would like to complete is the link all the daughter tasks under each summary task in a FS relationship, is there a way to accomplish this on import?

    Tuesday, May 24, 2016 3:29 PM

All replies

  • When I'm browsing the forum by post date, or any other way, my post is not showing up? I even selected all project forums and still it doesn't show. I've looked on both MSDN and Technect, both of them show the same posts, is there a filter that I may have inadvertently activated?
    Wednesday, May 25, 2016 4:53 PM
  • AndrewG13,

    There was an issue with the forum this week, poster updates were not showing up unless you expanded or drilled down into the thread. I flagged it to the site curators on Monday and t looks like it is fixed as of this morning (Thurs May 26).

    With regard to importing data from Excel, unfortunately Project has become "fussier" about data format since the release of Project 2010. Two suggestions - first, data with text formatting seems to be better accepted and second, if a particular field doesn't want to "cooperate", try importing into a text field (e.g. Text1) and then copy the data to the desired field once it's in Project. I know that's a pain but it just could get you past the hump.

    With regard to importing links, be very careful because task IDs are just numbers in Excel but are very strictly defined for Project. I had one guy who was trying to import predecessors but he got the indexing off by one number and things got all crazy.

    In my view a better way to exchange data between Project and Excel, whether it's Project to Excel or vice versa, is through VBA. It is much more flexible and easier to control the process.

    Hope this helps.

    John

    Thursday, May 26, 2016 10:56 PM