Internet Explorer shortcuts /favorites RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

I have a question on how to deal with IE favorites that users store on desktop or other folders combined with web applications that runs from app-v.

The scenario is the following:
    A user have started one or many AppV Web Applications (that uses local internet explorer).

The problem is:
    When starting a internet explorer favorite stored (for example) on the desktop it uses the same process as the already running web application and is run in virtual environment.

Anyone else dealing with this?

Regards,
    E.O
    eo
    Monday, February 23, 2009 2:27 PM

Answers

• Hello,

For the local file type association of .url, disable DDE. This will not reuse windows (virtual, or not).

I think I am "considering this" in the right manner....

/Znack
    • Marked as answer by E.O Friday, February 27, 2009 8:26 AM
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 1:43 PM
  • Thanks for suggestions. It was the file type "NONE: URL: Hyper Text Transfer Protocol" that needed to be changed in the local system so that the local shortcuts start IE in a new process and window. We changed to -new insted of -nohome to get it working. Some testing will be needed to be sure that this does not affect IE or memory consumption in any other way.

Regards,

EO

eo
    Friday, February 27, 2009 8:26 AM

All replies

• Hello

I'm not sure I fully understand your question,  so if you could please provide a bit more information that would be helpful.  It sounds like this might be a file associations issue, but before I reply too much, please give me a few more details.

Thanks,

Dan Bernhardt [MSFT]
    Tuesday, February 24, 2009 3:47 PM
    Answerer
  • Many customers go to great pains to remove/replace all existing IE shortcuts to use the App-V version.
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 4:09 AM
  • Hi guys and thaks for the answers. I will explain a litte better:

The user starts an virtualized webapplication (using IE7). On the webapplication we have removed the adress bar so that this instance of Internet Explorer will not be used to surf to other webpages.

The user then starts a IE-favorite that he or she have stored on the desktop. The new IE will then use iexplore.exe process that currently runs and starts the new window in the virtual environment. This means that it will not have the adress bar.

If the user starts a new IE (directly from iexplore.exe) it works fine, since it starts a new process and does not reuse the one currently loaded in memory. Shortcuts and links are however set default to start in the loaded iexplore.exe (if there is one).

Regards,
    E.O

more info: We have the Local Interaction tag set to true (it needs to be).
    eo
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 1:26 PM
  • Hello,

For the local file type association of .url, disable DDE. This will not reuse windows (virtual, or not).

I think I am "considering this" in the right manner....

/Znack
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 1:43 PM
  • Thanks for suggestions. It was the file type "NONE: URL: Hyper Text Transfer Protocol" that needed to be changed in the local system so that the local shortcuts start IE in a new process and window. We changed to -new insted of -nohome to get it working. Some testing will be needed to be sure that this does not affect IE or memory consumption in any other way.

Regards,

EO

eo
    Friday, February 27, 2009 8:26 AM
  • Hi all,

Did you perform this fix in server 2008?  I can't find the option to disable DDE or to set the -new flag.

I'm having a related issue with clicking on links inside my virtualized applications (i.e. Word and Thunderbird).  It causes an IE process to open within in the bubble (after a significant delay). 

Will modifying the FTAs fix my issues as well?  Thanks for your help.

-Kevin
    Friday, April 17, 2009 12:44 AM