Program Data Updater (PDU) - "new orphan files" and "new installations" RRS feed

• Question

• When the Program Data Updater (PDU) runs, typically as a scheduled task, daily at 00:30, it generates Event 800 in the Application-Experience / Program-Inventory log, which enumerates: Number of new programs, Number of removed programs, Number of updated programs, Number of installed programs, Number of new orphan files, Number of new add-ons, Number of removed add-ons, Number of updated add-ons, Number of installed add-ons, and Number of new installations.

I think I understand all of these except Number of new orphan files, and Number of new installations.  What are they?

Thanks.

• Edited by sejong Monday, December 13, 2010 3:55 PM
    Friday, December 10, 2010 8:51 PM

Answers

• Orphaned file are files that were components of programs but not linked to any programs currently. An orphaned file can be any type of file, such as an HTML document, an image, or a binary data file. New installation should mean the new successful program installations.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Friday, December 17, 2010 9:31 AM
    Tuesday, December 14, 2010 4:15 AM
  • I cannot find any related documents. Maybe we could monitor and get the result. Once the Number of new installations is changed to more than “1”, we can find the event in the same log and check which event ID and what behavior changes the number.
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Wednesday, December 15, 2010 7:45 AM

All replies

• Is it a Microsoft program? Microsoft does not release a “Program Data Updater”.
    Monday, December 13, 2010 6:30 AM
  • Program Data Updater is a dll (aepdu.dll) that is part of the Windows 7 OS.  It runs by default as a scheduled task.  The command line to run it manually is:

%windir%\system32\rundll32.exe aepdu.dll,AePduRunUpdate

Monday, December 13, 2010 4:01 PM
  • Orphaned file are files that were components of programs but not linked to any programs currently. An orphaned file can be any type of file, such as an HTML document, an image, or a binary data file. New installation should mean the new successful program installations.

Tuesday, December 14, 2010 4:15 AM
  • Thanks.  Your description of orphan files makes sense.  Your description of new installations ("new successful program installations") seems to apply more to the new programs parameter than to the new installations parameter. 

Here is an example I took from the Application-Experience / Program-Inverntory log on one of our systems. On 2010-11-08, the Adobe Flash Player 10 ActiveX program was updated from version 10.1.85.3 to version 10.1.102.64 (in response to a pop-up message from the flash player updater).  When the ProgramDataUpdater task ran after that, it generated an instance of Event 800 that showed number of new programs: 1, number of removed programs:1, number of new installations: 0.

Tuesday, December 14, 2010 3:27 PM
  • I cannot find any related documents. Maybe we could monitor and get the result. Once the Number of new installations is changed to more than “1”, we can find the event in the same log and check which event ID and what behavior changes the number.
    Wednesday, December 15, 2010 7:45 AM
  • That is a good suggestion.  I looked at 3 of our systems and did not find any instances of Event 800 where new installations was > 0, but I have seen if at least once in the past.  If I notice more, I'll post.
    Thursday, December 16, 2010 3:34 PM
  • Update 2010-12-29 - One source of new installations being > 0 is Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile for Windows 7 x64-based Systems (KB982670). 

I ran the Program Data Updater after installing this Windows Update, and the associated instance of Event 800 in the Program-Inventory log showed number of new installations: 1.

Thursday, December 30, 2010 1:20 AM