• Question

•  

Hi,

I have a Dimension with this structure:

ServiceID

ServiceType

ServiceTypeDesc

These are the sample of their members:

Service ID                 Service Type                         ServiceType Desc

1                              Walk-In                                   Walk-In

2                              Contract                                  Contract

3                              HomeService                           Home Service  

4                              HomeService2                         Home Service

5                              Contract2                                Contract

6                              WalkIn2                                  Walk-In

7                              Contract3                                Contract

I assigned the ServiceTypeDesc in Service ID's (this serves as the key column) name column. When I drag it to filter, I could see 7 items, instead of grouping them into 3 (Walk-In, Contract, Home Service).

Is it possible to group them into 3 instead of giving me all the members?

cherriesh

Wednesday, September 26, 2007 4:02 AM

Answers

• You would want to create at least 2 attributes in your dimension. One based on Service ID which would be the key attribute, which you would use to join to the fact table(s) and another based on ServiceTypeDesc. In your example the ServiceTypeDesc attribute would want to have ServiceTypeDesc used as the key and name.

You get a distinct member in your attribute for each distinct value in the key column.

Wednesday, September 26, 2007 7:06 AM